Old 10-13-2022, 12:27 AM

Default 65 Bonneville front brake problem

I'm helping a friend with his '65 Bonneville front brakes.
He had someone else replace the front shoes and turn the drums.
This job soon failed as the right front brake was dragging and overheated the drum so much that it burned the paint off the outside.
The left side was just fine.
That's where I was called in. I re-did the brake job and had the drums turned again.
He called me a few days later complaining about a "clucking" sound in the right front brake only when braking.
I pulled the drums again and noticed that whoever turned them didn't go deep enough and left a 1/4 in ridge on the inner surface of the drum.
We turned the drums again.
The shoes apparently were wearing in properly otherwise.
At least the overheating had been solved, but the same cluck cluck cluck noise is still present.
Any ideas?

Old 10-13-2022, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar issue with my 65. It had a bent shoe.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There may be a crack that has developed across the sweep area of the drum surface due to overheating the drum, as the brakes hit that crack it may be making a noise.

One other thing I have seen happen with drums that have been turned is that if they were turned on coarse feed, they actually develop a thread inside the drum. As the brakes are applied, the shoes lift off of the backing plate, and the hold down springs snap the shoes onto the backing plate. Working at dealerships I have seen it on new cars, as well as in a regular service garage dealing with brake noises..

Turning the drums on slow feed with a light cut will normally get rid of the thread, and the snapping noise.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated