Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Small electric motor question (non car related)

Sorry if there’s a better spot for this. Mods, feel free to move or even delete if needed.

Figuring someone will know, I’m trying to help my wife out with a small Christmas tree that was gifted to her several years ago that she loves however she’s lost the power cord for it. I’m trying to find a replacement and the manufacturer isn’t an option. The only two electrical parts to it is a 6v 10watt bulb and this electric motor which seems to be a 6vac motor producing 4 watts. I believe between both they’ll be pulling around 2.3 amps collectively so my question is, will a 6vac, 2.5 amp power source be sufficient? Also, based on the motor markings below am I correct that the motor is AC and not DC? I know, it seems obvious. I just was under the impression many household items convert to DC and I’d prefer to avoid ruining the motor if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4685A863-B443-4E2A-AD28-D623FF076012.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	604786  

Brian
Old 01-08-2023, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

The motor and bulb will be pulling 14W which will draw 2.34A at 6V AC.

I would think that a 2.5A power supply will be fine for a Christmas decoration but If you can find one around 3A that might give you a little more wiggle room.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. I thought so but knew someone here would be able to help me confirm.

Brian