Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bench Seat?

Did all '65 GTO's come with buckets or were you able to order a bench seat? Also, did all 3 speed manual '65 GTO's come with a floor shifter or were you able to order a 3 speed manual column shift?
Thanks for your input.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Mike Cooper who runs a very fast 63 Tempest drag car, to my knowledge has a LEGIT
1964 GTO with bench seat and 3 speed column shift. Many many people have looked over this car at the Wichita GTO Nationals over the years.

As far as a 65 GTO built the same way, "maybe" but I have never heard of one.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've dealt with two '65 GTO's that had a bench seat and a column automatic. A friend had one....Nocturne blue/yorktown blue painted top, blue interior, AC, auto on column, and bench. Weird looking thing. In the early '80's, I used to tune up a customer's '67 GTO (original owner) and it was a bench seat auto on the column car....dark blue/black interior. That car flat screamed. There is a gentleman on the GTO forum who has the PHS for his '64 GTO, and it came with a three speed shifter on the column, he says. I've never heard of another GTO or have seen one with "three on the tree". His car is a bench car, manual steering/brakes....probably bought by a 65 year old penny pincher who thought a column shift was more "practical". A real Silas Barnstable type. When GM introduced the column shift for it's '39 models, it was all the rage to get rid of that big ugly floor shifter!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day, many strange things happened, so I'd never say that a bench seat column shift GTO was NEVER built.

But....

I have my Dad's 1964 Pontiac Dealer's Sales Manual (he switched from a Olds/Caddy dealership to a Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealership in late 1962 or early 1963).

Under the Le Mans section, page C10, it states:

Quote:
STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Bucket Seats
- Standard as part of the Le Mans Series

Transmission
- 3-Speed Manual Transmission standard with floor mounted shift
So at least in theory, you couldn't even get a Le Mans with a bench seat, only a Tempest in 1964.

I am unaware of a bench seat/column shift option in the GTO in 1965.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I've said, I've seen and driven GTO's that were built with a bench seat. There was even a strange '64 GTO with a bench seat and a column shift auto on this forum recently...the car was for sale in texas, and the post was about its strange data plate, which actually spelled out "BENCH SEATS". So, yes, while not standard equipment, they sure could (and sometimes were) ordered. I have never ever seen a GTO with a column mounted standard three speed manual, though, and am skeptical they exist....

Old 05-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Suspended

Sombody in Tucson has a 67 GTO with bench seats and an automatic

Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A guy in western Mass has a 65 GTO w/a bench seat w/an armrest. Did HE put it in??
It looks correct.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 was built with a bench and column shift auto. It was the "standard" setup if not ordered with console. I would "assume" that the earlier models were the same thing.

See middle picture.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/pon...f/bilder/5.jpg

Charles

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a 65 GTO discussed here a year or so ago, and it had a factory bench seat. As far as the three speed, I am not sure. Larry B.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
My 67 was built with a bench and column shift auto. It was the "standard" setup if not ordered with console. I would "assume" that the earlier models were the same thing.

See middle picture.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/pon...f/bilder/5.jpg

Charles
1967 had production code 568 available - a no cost bench seat option. Bucket seats were standard, but simply checking RPO 568 on the order sheet would get you the bench. To the best of my knowledge - that is the only year.

As I posted earlier - I would never say that other years couldn't have come that with a bench seat. It just wasn't a regular production option - in other words - there was spot on the order sheet to check for a bench seat.

But back then, if you had a dealer that was willing to take the time, almost anything was possible.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not wanting to start an argument here, but there is no 568 option on my original window sticker, which I carefully took off and still have.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Window Sticker (Large).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	244905  

Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Not wanting to start an argument here, but there is no 568 option on my original window sticker, which I carefully took off and still have.

Charles
It could be that as a no cost option, RPO 568 was not listed on the sticker. I'm not sure on how they dealt with the no cost options.

RPO 568 should be listed on your build sheet.

RPO 562 is for the standard equipment - Strato Bucket seats.

http://www.1967gto.com/options.html

Once again, to the best of my knowledge, 1967 should be the only year that a bench seat was a regular factory production option. That really is the only point I was trying to make.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know Bench Seat interiors could be had in later years as a standard Trim choice, not just in '67. Bench Seat Trim choices for the GTO were offered '68-'74 also.

In '64 & '65 for sure, you could order a Bench Seat interior in the Lemans (with or without GTO option).

Yes, the '64 & '65 Lemans included Bucket Seats as standard equipment.

Unlike the later years, there was no standard Bench Seat Trim choice on the Order Form.

You had to order it as a Special Equipment item by written request/instruction on the All Series Special Equipment Order Form. Once the order was entered, a "Memo" had to be written approving it (same as any other Special Equipment item instruction such as Special Paint requests).

This would have triggered the Option Code 592 ("normal" Special Equipment options that had their own Sales Codes did not trigger the 592.

It is unknown whether the '64/'65 Bench Seat requests were handled at N/C or carried a price tag. Never seen an original Window Sticker for one.

The '64 & '65 Bench Seat GTOs are interesting enough.

I believe the ones I've known about (2 '64s for sure, I think 1 '65) were auto trans, so column shift.

The Trim itself has never been quite clear to me. I think the evidence indicated they installed Tempest Custom all vinyl interior trim rather than making up a special Lemans style trim but for Bench Seat use. I think you could have any color that was available in the Tempest Custom.

Have never quite figured out how a floor shift was ordered in a Bench Seat car, but it was possible to get a floor shifted 3 or 4 speed trans with Bench Seat interior, the shifters were available. All 4 spds were floor shifted, the 3 spd is the paradox. So conceivably, there would have been Bench Seat '64s and '65s with floor shifters and 3 spd.

Tom, you might remember I was curious to learn more about Mike Cooper's car because I was hoping to learn how the 3 on the tree was coded, it is a KC car right? If you ever find out, let me know.

To me, the most fascinating Special Order written request that was approved/built that I've ever encountered was a '64 GTO that was approved for the "MEMO 805 USE STD TEMPEST HOOD" as noted on the Pontiac Plant Manifest record.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
To me, the most fascinating Special Order written request that was approved/built that I've ever encountered was a '64 GTO that was approved for the "MEMO 805 USE STD TEMPEST HOOD" as noted on the Pontiac Plant Manifest record.
They should have coded that one as "MEMO 805 SLEEPER" option!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Suspended

Back in may of '98 I was in N. PHX. looking at a 64 GTO convert that was a a bench seat with a 3 speed on the floor. 4bbl. light blue with white top and interior. askin $3800.00. I did not buy it but I asked him why it was so cheap. he said because everybody who looked at it insisted it was not real. It was a steal at that price even if it was not correct. It looked so correct but the bench/3 on the floor threw me so I walked away. STOOOPIT!

I had a 64 Le Mans convert that was a bench seat car with a 3 on the column. $800.00 in 91.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:10 PM
Senior Chief

Bench seat was ordered in this tripower and column shift 1964 GTO (had last sold in 2016 and was discussed on forums before):

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/196...iac-gto-720473

PHS docs confirm the change

Old 01-19-2023, 10:08 PM

Default 64 65 Tempest

Has anyone ever seen a Black 64,65 Tempest Coupe or Station wagon in Starlight Black code A With a factory Black Tempest Interior Thanks Geoff