The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-27-2023, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Prep of reproduction sheet metal?

I have a reproduction hood for 69 FB that came with that black colored primer/coating. My question is; after block sanding the panel, should I use a primer over the coating, or can I go right to a sealer and then paint. Also, can I just scuff the black coating with a scotch brite pad or is another method recommended? Thx.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
I have a reproduction hood for 69 FB that came with that black colored primer/coating. My question is; after block sanding the panel, should I use a primer over the coating, or can I go right to a sealer and then paint. Also, can I just scuff the black coating with a scotch brite pad or is another method recommended? Thx.
The black coating is a form of dipped electro coating, so it adheres very well to the part and I always leave it on although you will sand through it in places while prepping. The EDP has corrosion resistance, so don't block sand it all away, just sand until there are no shiny spots. To be sure the coating is EDP, try to wipe a spot with lacquer thinner. If lacquer thinner doesn't remove it, you're good to go. I don't trust these parts anymore.

It needs to be scuffed, so refer to the tech sheet for the primer you plan to use, it will state the grit needed for prep, usually 240-320 for priming over paint or 80 grit for priming bare metal. Before priming I would clean it with glass cleaner followed by a waterborne wax and grease remover. These parts spend a lot of time on salt water ships and inside ancient containers with possible salt residue.

If I'm going over paint or EDP I use SPI Epoxy primer. I will use SPI throughout for blocking and for sealing.

Depending on how flat you want the final finish to be, expect to do a lot of block sanding even though it's a new part. They have ripples built into every part.