Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

CCass, Any new updates on the 67 ht qtr panels.
Any hopes of a repop rear bumper, trunklid? Just wondering..... irgoatmike

Old 06-30-2005, 06:21 PM

71-72 Radiator core support.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:18 AM

The front/bottom sections of the 70-81 rear frame rails where they run parallel to the ground. Please see ebay auction # 4557978668, which I won. THIS is where they virtually always rust out, almost never in the area which the present repro covers. There is a huge market for this part as it would fit all Gen2 Camaros as well, and tooling costs should be fairly minimal. Reproducing this part would make INFINITELY more sense than the utterly bizarre decision to reproduce the 70-81 F-body trunk lids, which number well into the TRILLIONS used. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The whole Universe is screaming and begging for 1969 GTO trunk lids and 1964 GTO hoods. Every swap meet I have been to for the past 15 years, those 2 parts are the BUZZ words. 1964 deck lids seem very very scarce as well in good condition. The next fender made needs to be for 1965, the next doors should be 64-65. Wish Chris could re-introduce the "repo-remanufactured-restamped" quadrajets for 69 and 70 Ram Air carbs. They were nicely done AND affordable.

I am amazed and pleased with the spectacular amount of much needed reproduction pieces now available for Pontiacs. It has re-fueled the interest and desire we had back in the late 80's-early 90's. Please keep up this good work. Even some of the bodies I cut up and stripped for parts could be restored now.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"whole universe is screaming & begging...

'64 GTO hoods... how many folks would pay $1200+ for a quality repro '64 GTO hood with scoops??? Not many... enough to justify making the dies, production/distribution, small profit??? Doubt it.

Rustfree nice '69 A-body decklids... out there, have several. Problem is folks want them for $200-$250, that was not the price 6 years ago

Taiwan sheetmetal... if it can't be made to original GM quality standards, is it really a thing of value, or just something that will sell till the word gets out to how much work is needed, how poor a product???

Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pinion, how much for the pair of 69 decklids and what state are you in? Will you be coming to the POCI nationals in Greenville, SC ?

Pinion, please don't get the impression that I am aiming this all to you friend. I am only attempting to shake some dust off the old ways of thought. And maybe someone can help rescue this matter.

In the Southeast and especially the Northeast, these parts mentioned (1964 Hood and Trunk Lid - 69 GTO Trunk Lid) are in demand and there is no supply. Good used bare 64 hoods will bring 1500-2000 around these areas, but they very rarely hardly ever come to the surface. Especially not in real good condition, usually they are ROUGH and asking 1000. Have only seen one on eBay in 2 years that was actually nice, went for 2276.34 bare. It takes a lot of bids to go from 100 to 2200+, so there must have been more than just a few folks needing a hood that particular week, I guess? If they can make the 65-67, and 68-70 hoods and sell them for 350-400 bucks, why can't same price structure exist for a 64 hood? They all need new die cast chrome scoops anyhow, which are already available, so thats a given expense either way and both ways. Of course everybody wants a good used one for 200 bucks or so, but it's time they mark their calenders and realize it ain't been happening for a long time.

I personally know 5 local cars that need a 64 hood to be built, and every one of them could also stand a better trunk lid too. Several are pondering the new fiberglass unit to get them by until...??? And it's about 500 bucks. Chris just needs to talk to the major independent used parts dealers on the east coast (I used to be one back in the day) and ask them about the BuZZ word chants for these hoods. Everybody is asking, and nobody has them. They aren't listed in any catalogues, so people know not to ask him for one. He even told me close to the exact same thing you stated, in Charlotte 3 years ago, concerning 64 hoods. Yet people still call me/us begging for them, and I haven't advertised a single Pontiac part since 1994.

The major sheet metal panel availability dictates a lot as to which cars get built, and which ones don't. You got a 64 body that needs a hood and a deck lid around here, nobody wants the car because the parts aren't to be had in this region anymore. The word is out on them. We sold all the good stuff back in the 80's and 90's.

The fact that fewer and fewer 64's are being rebuilt because of this, actually is keeping them from escalating in value as fast as the 66-70's have. The fewer that change hands, the slower the escalation of value and pretty soon only the old timers who won't even buy floor mats for a car will be the only ones who care anything about them at all. They are going to be like the 68's used to be, semi-bastard cars. Now it's up to the aftermarket to meet most of the needs of the people that are coming in, who have the same hopes and desires as we did back in our earlier days. A clean-strait-rustless GTO.

The fact that the "old timers in the hobby" who already have a hood or don't even need one wouldn't be willing to pay much for one, should no longer be the focus. Let them sit back in the shade of the shadows cast by their wonderful cars so we can make plenty of room for the new life coming into the hobby. Put yourself in these guys shoes who have been hunting a hood for 5-10-15 years before you declare what they will or won't pay, perhaps. But the going price range on all reproduction hoods seems to be very reasonable, actually.

A lot more 64 cars would come out of the woodwork if a hood were available. I could pull a couple out of the weeds myself. Has anyone else noticed the popularity and acceptance of "CLONE" GTO's coming about other than me. The Reproduction market makes this easier than ever on 66-70 GTO models already. How much longer do all these 64 bodies need to lay in the weeds and behind buildings covered with tarps before a good hood is made available for them also.

The hobby has re-fueled, new players are coming in fast. They have money and don't have to be romanced to spend it. The cars we parted out in the 80's are now desired by people for restoration projects, and they need LOTS of parts and WILL pay to get them. Take the closer look at eBay as I have, things are going wide open with GTO's and it didn't just happen yesterday. Prices are climbing and sales are booming, I personally think that's a good thing for us all. Why not let it keep growing, rather than wish for it to be stiffled because we still want $200 mint GTO hoods and $150 pristine 4 speed consoles. Those days are gone with the wind. It sure was a good thing back in the 80's and early 90's when the Pontiac market boomed. And it helped P Y, Ames, and Year One climb to the strength they have today. Which translated into better quality and more available parts for us that build these cars.

Perhaps what happens on eBay, or all these new comers that are pouring into the hobby is not much of a concern to you all, really. But it should be of concern to the people who make their money by selling these people the parts they NEED for their projects. Once a car is done, it's Done. They don't keep buying the same parts over and over for the same car. They have to start another car to spend again. This could be the key that opens yet another door of the bank vault.The folks who buy the 64 hood are more than likely also going to spend $2000 - $5000 or even more, on additional parts and accessories for the car before its finished, as well. So in essence, it's another strong building block for selling items that are already on the shelf and are easily replinishable. A man isn't going to spend a penny on things like the new seat covers, door panels, armrests, carpet, weatherstrip, emblems,floor mats, underhood items, etc. etc. etc...that he needs, until he has a solid hood and trunk lid secured to build the car with, so he waits. He knows all the catalogue pieces he wants will always be available. I know this by personal association, and I doubt it is confined to one county or state.

With these numbers in mind, the thought of barely breaking even on the hood or not getting rich quick with it, kind of sends a very shallow and near-sighted message to the rest of us. I just want everyone to take a step back in time and remember what car started it all. IT WAS THE 1964 GTO, by God. And we can't even get the one part of the car that made it unique so that we can spend buckets of money and rebuild them to former glory.

I still have 3 or 4 good used 65-67 hoods and several sets of 66-67, 68-69 fenders that nobody with logical sense will buy because they can get a perfectly clean new one that needs zero spent on labor to get it clean and pretty top and bottom, inside and out. I haven't had a call on one in several years, and that's okay, really. I probably will even buy new ones for the next 66 I build, instead of spending all my time restoring these used ones. Time is money, I can make money, but time goes by me like a freight train these days. I can never make time, seems like I always lose it.

They have a Goodmark repo deck lid for 68-69, 70-72 Chevelle that sells for under 200. I am positively sure plenty of good used ones are still abound, but a lot of smart folks know what can happen to old decklids of this design sooner or later. New stuff really is new, old stuff really is old, especially exterior sheetmetal. Would be a sweet thing for a LOT of people to be able to buy one like that for a 69 GTO. I sure would buy a couple. And I know several people who live in fear that bubbles may soon pop up again in another area on the back edge of their gorgeous 69 GTO deck lid that they had to use because it was the best one they could come up with.

Shoot me a deal on the pair and lets see what we can do. But honestly, I would much rather be able to buy a new one for under 200- regardless of origin, than pay over 250-300 for a used one, IF the new option were existent, which it isn't (ahem...HELLO !!! GOODMARK !!!). By the way, I am a professional body/paint technician and know exactly what "time is money" really means at the bottom line. Best wishes to all. Sincerely

Old 07-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I have read all 35 pages and have three requests.
Chrome seat belt bolts for 65 GTOs.
The grab bar itself for a 65.
The intake manifold bolt/stud combo.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Radiator over flow recovery bottle/jug for 1975 Trans Am.

~~~ MaryAnn ~~~
Old 07-20-2005, 06:26 AM

Want to Make the 64 GTO Hoods?

I too am facinated by the lack of interest in repro metal hoods for the '64 GTO. What would it take to make the dye necessary to manufacture the hoods?

Can anyone help me with this? I have clients in the business who might be interested in making this product if I (and perhaps others) would be interested in financing the dye and setup.

We might not make money on this, but we would probably make back our investment in the dye, and share a small "royalty" in each hood manufactured and sold. And we could make these hoods to our specs.....so quality wouldn't be an issue.

If anyone has info and can help with this, let me know.

David Marcus

Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 AM

'64 GTO Hoods

Email me directly if you want to chat about this - dgmelp@aol.com.

Thanks.
David Marcus

Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David, the World (and the 1964 GTO) needs more guys like you. For right now, I really and truely feel like this should be done by one of the BIG 4. Performance Years, Ames, Parts Place, or Year One in cooperation with GoodMark. The hood could be done and sold for under $500 that way.

Not saying they have left the hobby in the dark by any means at all. They have served us quite well, and profited quite well, too. But they will be the ones reaping the adjacent benefits the hood would create. As in the associated restoration parts that would then proceed to be purchased by the folks who buy the hood, as they restore or clone a car.

These hoods have been in short supply since 1986. Maybe longer than that, but that's when I started selling parts Nationwide in Hemmings and getting all the calls for them. I had 2 good ones and 1 marginal from 1986-1993. They all sold immediately. Just one phone call out of one of my log books of previous callers, SOLD!

I never would have thought we would see HURST wheels reproduced before the 1964 GTO hood. So goes it, though.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me remind you all, we are talking about the one and only exterior part of the car that makes it unique from a LeMans. Also, let us recall that the 1964 GTO has world-wide acknowledgement as being THE FIRST AND THE ORIGINAL TRUE MUSCLECAR. Then remind yourself, we are the Pontiac People. If we don't push for this hood to be made, WHO WILL ?

If nothing else, we owe it to our Holy Grail Muscle Car. And the people who continue to make their fortunes from us and all our cars, they owe too. Just telling it like it is.

Now here is what will blow you all away - I don't even need a 1964 GTO hood myself. So don't get the impression that I am being self-centered on this quest. The people who loved the 64 more than I do always wanted all the good 64 bodies and parts I acquired, so I always sold the stuff as soon as I got it. I have always had too many cars, and still do. The 64 is not my "personal" favorite, but it is the most historical of ALL musclecars. And I would build one now, if a nice hood were available.

One popped up on eBay earlier this week in NY. Said it needed work but they felt it was fixable. $100 starting bid and a 10 day auction. I put it in my watch list. Notified a few folks it was on there, but less than 24 hours after it was posted, it was ended. They re-listed with a buy it now for $800 and it immediately went by-by.

All gave some, some gave all, Give a 64 a Hood!

Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM

I agree the big guys should be the ones who need to step up to the plate, but I have contacted one or two, and they are just not interested. They don't believe it to be worth their while if they can't sell it for under $500 and they don't see the demand for this head, hence, no market for it.

I agree that if we only made a few of these hoods, they might be over $1,500 a piece, but they would be new, and perfect, and I've got to believe if I put ten of these on Ebay at 1,500, they would sell out. And, though it wouldn't be attractive to PY or Ames (no volume), it would probably pay for the tooling to manufacture ten to twenty hoods, and put a lot of other '64 GTO's on the road.

All I need is some help finding some quality manufacturers out there who have the ability to make these....if you have a contact, I'll follow up. We have some where I live, but none have made this kind of part, and I would prefer a manufacturer with some experience.

Thanks.
David Marcus

Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No comment on the hood, not my area of expertise.

However, I will comment on the "repo, remanufactured, restamped" 1969 and 1970 RA Q-Jets.

The EPA considers the carburetor to be a part of the emissions systems beginning with the 1968 model year. Selling a restamped carburetor with a 1968 or newer part number violates federal law. Having a restamped carburetor on one's vehicle of 1968 or newer violates federal law. Technically, making any modification to a 1968 or newer O.E. carburetor REQUIRES the O.E. number to be stamped out. This is one of the reasons we do so few racing O.E. carburetors of 1968 and newer. Most customers don't want the number disturbed.

The way to do this would be to pay GM to do a production run of the carbs using the original tooling. The date code would be wrong, but the carbs would be authentic service carbs and stamped with the O.E. number, AND entirely legal. Somehow, I doubt there is sufficient demand.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or, how about a kit to convert a Lemans/Tempest hood to a 64 goat hood? Seems like the scoops could be put in place by a competent metal man, raising the value of the hood from $50 to $500+.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:29 AM

1964 GTO Steel Hood with Scoops

I'm into some serious discussion with a metal fabrication company regarding manufacturing the steel hood for the 64 GTO. We are going to have some concrete numbers by the middle of August, and anticipate that the first run will cost approximately $1,000.00 per hood (plus shipping). If your interested in one (or more), please let me know in the next ten days to two weeks so we have some indication of how big a run to manufacture.
You can email me directly at dgmelp@aol.com or post here.
David Marcus

Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I`m very interested in a reproduced original equipment "Judge" glove compartment emblem that is pot metal, with the two mounting pins, and correct black edge

Old 07-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marcus
Want to Make the 64 GTO Hoods?

I too am facinated by the lack of interest in repro metal hoods for the '64 GTO. What would it take to make the dye necessary to manufacture the hoods?

If anyone has info and can help with this, let me know.

David Marcus
$300,000+ just for the dies, Minimum run of 1000 hoods, the actual hoods would probably cost $100 give or take. (+ shipping, duties, defects) Figure a 12-18 month turnaround time for testing and approving. The only place that will even consider this project is Taiwan. So if all 1000 hoods sold, the investor might break even.

Are there 1000 owners that would pay $1000/hood? 500 owners that would pay $2000? Or are there the same 100-150 GTO owners that have been searching for the past 10 years? Our knowledge of the GTO parts business strongly suggests the latter.

Solution: Create a topic in the 64-65 GTO section for a 'group buy' of 64 GTO hoods. Spread the word around the entire Pontiac community. Then have each participant put up $1000 to reserve a hood. When around 250 participants are signed up, the risk of making the hood would be far less and could be produced with a reasonable additional investment. If there was less than 250, do some math and ask the participants how much more they would be willing to contribute.

If you guys are serious, let's get the topic started.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 GTO Hood

Chris, thank you for responding on the Hood. Posting a topic in the forum does sound like a good start to test some of the waters. I just contacted David M. via email and pasted your reply. I don't know what further info he has gathered on his end, but I expect to hear from him soon.

Mainly I am just pleased that maybe the ball has jiggled a little bit, still a long way to go before it starts to roll. If it would have to be approached the way you suggest, will need a lot of pre-publicity in multiple venues. Along with a "household" name (like C.C.and PY) that folks would trust with their up-front contribution.

The whole thing can be orchestrated with some careful planning and an honest approach. I have quite a few ideas. Let me see what David has going so far and one of us will eventually contact you in a more confidential manner, before we start any type of publicity post. Wouldn't want to upset anyone with a false start or half-hearted attempt.

Very Sincerely, TT

Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73-77 A-body wheel opening moldings

Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73 GTO stripes