Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71-72 shakers

I have five 71-72 THICK shakers in my possession right now, one 70-72 "NOS/Service Replacement" and one 73
All the 71-72 Born on car shakers have on the inside of the Fiberglass
BARNUM BROS FIBRE CO INC P
They have a door hinge frame glued in the rear opening
The steel riveted on part has a distinct step all the way around the outside border as well as the hold down wings stamped as one piece. This is the part that is hardest to find and all attempts need to be made to save these as they are distinct to REAL born on 70-72 shakers.
Part# on born on unit

bottom of ear on born on

step on born on

The 1970-72 NOS/ Service Replacement and the 73 have on the inside you can also readily see that the numbers were changed from 481689 to 491982 in a crude manner.
BARNUM BROS FIBRE CO INC P
This tells me that after the 1st design 70-72 steel riveted parts were used up they converted the 73-76 steel by spot welding the mounting ears on in order to hold the unit onto the 70-72 air breather base that's why there are NOS units out there that won't fit the base tabs and also spot welding on the same solenoid bracket that was used on the 70-72. They also used the 73-76 fiberglass by glueing in a 70-72 door frame instead of the frame for the block off.
spot welded on ear

chopped away so they could spot weld the ear on
73-76 lip

changed part number

Of course I can't tell you when Pontiac ran out of the REAL parts and started modifying later parts to work as replacements but that is what they did. So when you say NOS it may not mean DESIRABLE as it very well may be and is most likely different than a born on unit.
So as shakers go Steve's has the CORRECT born on steel and believe me this is the hardest part to find in good shape. I am seeing more and more of these in very bad and rusty shape and most need major repair. So much so that I have repoped the rear sheet metal as its easier to replace it than try to fix it. Steve's is actually in my eyes more desirable than a NOS/Service Replacement unit. JMHO
this is what I see on most. I fabbed a new part for this one to save it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Norwood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No wonder you were busy last night. Probably took down many blue mountains to compose yourself....

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good info! Thanks. Do you have your own spot welder machine?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's one that was on ebay. It has the welded on later ears.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default shake it up

I have owned 2 N.O.S. SR shaker scoops in my life...one is currently planned to go on my car...the welded on taps line up fine, so did my other in 1979, although I have seen ones that dont...it is a GM part and it works for me...as far as I am concerned NJSTEVES shaker is comparable to an original installed shaker...it features the original metal base plate...and everything is O.E.M...if you are atleast 50 years old, all of this should make perfect sense...if you did not live through the era, this is where the misunderstandings come along I think...this is where the hobby gets weird to me, but since I have lived through it, I can laugh...if someone needs an inexpensive functional shaker they do make a repop for $300

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While it is nice of you Norwood to take the time to provide information, most of which is well documented if you do your research, it's obvious to me and many others that the forsale thread was not about whether or not NJSteve made a nice copy, because it obviously is. I think the gripe for most came from the original post as being described at first as an original restored 71-72 piece and it wasn't actually disclosed as a couple of scoops that have been put together from different sources (albiet correct) until someone else brought that to light in the first couple of posts.
That's where the descrepency became apparent for other people. I believe if NJSteve would have just come out and explained that in the add without 80 pages of links to read through then none of this would have started to begin with.
No one is arguing that this one forsale from NJSteve isn't correctly done. So I personally don't see the point in all this. Obviously it's really bothering some of you guys and you seem hell bent on pushing the issue about correctness, LOL we all clearly get that part of it.
Some good info here though for others, thanks for taking the time.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr Jones, You are WELCOME......

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
While it is nice of you Norwood to take the time to provide information, most of which is well documented if you do your research, it's obvious to me and many others that the forsale thread was not about whether or not NJSteve made a nice copy, because it obviously is. I think the gripe for most came from the original post as being described at first as an original restored 71-72 piece and it wasn't actually disclosed as a couple of scoops that have been put together from different sources (albiet correct) until someone else brought that to light in the first couple of posts.
That's where the descrepency became apparent for other people. I believe if NJSteve would have just come out and explained that in the add without 80 pages of links to read through then none of this would have started to begin with.
No one is arguing that this one forsale from NJSteve isn't correctly done. So I personally don't see the point in all this. Obviously it's really bothering some of you guys and you seem hell bent on pushing the issue about correctness, LOL we all clearly get that part of it.
the problem to me was putting the thread in the 70-73 sections. The 4 sale sections don't have "discussion threads" and putting down seller or part is not really allowed, per se. I have been tempted to put "FYI" threads in the 70-73 section about stuff I had for sale and in the 4 sale section (to be helpful like Steve did) but have resisted due it going south somehow...... and it IS inviting discussion, so I think this is the teaching, really....

Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just curious on availability (reproduction) of the plastic insert that hinges to the trap door...?

Is something available yet or are we reworking the 73-76 insert?

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Just curious on availability (reproduction) of the plastic insert that hinges to the trap door...?

Is something available yet or are we reworking the 73-76 insert?
AFAIK, not available by itself. I have one functional shaker missing that part entirely and another one that is broken, but all else fine with them, so it would be a good one to make. I have a friend that is good with making fiberglass parts, but he is always too busy with life to do this type of thing. I have one that is already removed from a scoop also...

Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hinge frame is a completely different part than the rivet plate frame. I saw a hinge/door assembly on ebay about 10 years ago but never saved the photos. It looked like it had never been installed so maybe it was a service part?

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The hinge frame is a completely different part than the rivet plate frame. I saw a hinge/door assembly on ebay about 10 years ago but never saved the photos. It looked like it had never been installed so maybe it was a service part?
As I recall,there WAS a repro available through Ames,maybe 15 or more years ago...

Guess I should have bought some?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I believe if NJSteve would have just come out and explained that in the add without 80 pages of links to read through then none of this would have started to begin with.

The problem seems to be that I assumed that everyone had the same basic knowledge of these component parts and their interchangeability between years. Thankfully Norwood is presenting the facts for them, now.

But be that as it may, I have learned my lesson and will be happy to request that the moderators remove the my offending restoration thread(s) if that's what the majority of people want.

Last edited by njsteve; 12-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 72 T/A restoration thread

actually please do not remove that thread...it contains a lot of technical information that would be lost...I credit that thread for getting me back into my restoration over a year a go...somehow I stumbled on to it and that's what makes PY a different company than the rest..it was the T.C.S. thing that did it for me...I am not a car show person and thanks to the web and that thread...that kind of stuff is not in the service manual...especially over this shaker...now we have a thread about the different shakers, I wont even mention the 1974 G.T.O. functional shaker

Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you ever get to meet these guys (Steve and Craig et al) you will see they have real Pontiac passion! Plus they make cool stuff too! Lucky to these guys post here!!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The door frame would be an easy out of steel. from the outside it would look identical to oem but it would have a slightly different look from the inside. There is that conversion kit out there but you cannot hang an original door on it, but maybe it could be modified.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam1972 View Post
actually please do not remove that thread...it contains a lot of technical information that would be lost...I credit that thread for getting me back into my restoration over a year a go...somehow I stumbled on to it and that's what makes PY a different company than the rest..it was the T.C.S. thing that did it for me... thanks to the web and that thread...that kind of stuff is not in the service manual...especially over this shaker...now we have a thread about the different shakers
X 1 MILLION

1972 TRANS AM , UNDER RESTORATION
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=656067
1972 FIREBIRD FUTUR PROJECT
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=674551
1978 TRANS AM (PARTS CAR) MAYBE
1971 LEMANS T37 (PARTED OUT)
1976 TRANS AM (PARTED OUT)
1984 6000LE (SOLD)
2003 SILVERADO 1500
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
The door frame would be an easy out of steel. from the outside it would look identical to oem but it would have a slightly different look from the inside. There is that conversion kit out there but you cannot hang an original door on it, but maybe it could be modified.
OK,so if you're already making the door...why not the frame as well......?

You could sell it three ways....frame,door or pre-hung combination...

So.....if you have 5 shakers...does that make you a hoarder?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hostage Shaker....

Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So let me ask the obvious question here....since SR, even if they are NOS, seem to have no value. (Now I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but really if you think about it, Norwood is right. They don't fit or look right. Ergo, no resto value as is.)

How much will it cost to make my two SR shakers correct for the 71-72 air cleaner??? One is NOS and one is fresh painted blue.

May as well get them as correct as possible. Fortunately I do have a correct "born-on" piece on the car now. I'd take that off and hold it, should I resto the car, and put a "corrected" SR on the car for now.

Guess I'm a hoarder too....Have more 69-71 GP manual trans console plates than he has shakers...