Old 04-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the last comment, you do very nice work.

Wanna come over to my place and do mine

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Outer wheel house

Thank you very much for the compliments! I really appreciate it, gives me a boost to get thru it.

knocked out the outer wheelhouse today, trimmed up the new quarterpanel to check fitment as well as using the original removed piece as well just to dbbl check. it was a good repop and fits real well.

I plug welded about every half inch because upon removing the original the factory had spot welded it that much. I try at minimum to duplicate factory and usually exceed the factory installations and rustproofing.

the passenger side is the worst as far as rust repairs, I always start with the worst side.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for posting the pics and your input! I’m working on a ‘72 TA clone too. My paint and body guy should have a slot opening up later this summer. I don’t have your skill set for the metal work. I’m on the east side of KC. Looking forward to seeing your car. Bob

Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great, my goal for posting is to hopefully help someone. what paint color are you going with? any pics of your car?

Go CHIEFS!

Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Please send me a PM with an e-mail address or cell # and I’ll give you some build info.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk drop off

Trunk drop off panel done today. each piece now makes it feel like its a car again! couple coats of por15 on everything. you can bet the inner part of the quarter skin and trunk drop off that sandwiches together will get even more prior to final weld up. that's one bad area there for moisture and rust. I wonder if its a good idea to leave the drop off plug out for air or put it on? I still have to apply seam sealer yet also. por15 is amazing in that Its applied with a cheap brush yet it flows out and dries incredibly smooth like sprayed on.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default just yakkin engine stuff on a crazy rainy weekend of flooding

had fun building the engine for a more stock look. shortblock was built by famed Pontiac racer Tom Wilhite. new forged internals, hyd roller cam. e heads race ported from Butler. 1,000cfm holley. I always say what was Pontiac finally going to do on the ram air 5 engine? A HOLLEY! they finally knew what was best ha.

ground off the e-logos on the heads and fabbed a thin aluminum panel to cover the front of the heads. stamped "SD EXPERIMENTAL" on the passenger side one to mess with the museum car guys I like the valve cover decals, to plain without em. removed the excess material from the e-rpm intake and the e-logos also.

v-belts are antiquated so used the march serpentine set up. braided fuel line and corresponding fittings from pump to carb. To me regardless of year, the Pontiac blue metallic engine paint is the only one to use. Th400 is hi-perf from TCI.

end result looks a lot better than the as purchased pic!

Old 05-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default drivers side quarter skin removal

Removed the drivers quarter skin today exactly as the passenger side. noticed in pictures from a couple pro sites this is where they cut em. then I knew why. its just high enough to get to the top spot welds for changing the outer wheelhouse. i'm in better shape as far as the door jamb area rust on this side. this must be why: with a single track differential, the right rear is doing all the spinning in mud snow etc. once a pin hole of rust gets thru the front lower outer wheelhouse, its throws all the crud straight into the area between the wheelhouse and door jamb. the passenger side was full of crud. drivers wasn't.

I was shocked to find a written time capsule note on the outer wheelhouse.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
I was shocked to find a written time capsule note on the outer wheelhouse.
Wow ! Like a message in a bottle that's been bobbin around for years, wonder where ole Hillbilly Bob is nowadays lol, bet he'd like to hear from you.

Nice restoration, seems as if the worst is almost over so far as structural work, nice looking power plant as well.

Thanks for the thread, good luck.

Frank

Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Git 'er done

cranking back up today, removed the drivers side outer wheelhouse and trunk drop off (what was left of it!) lot of grinding with several different tools, hand sanding as well, in prep for the copper weld thru and on to fabbing some patches and the new w/w and drop off.

pretty excited about the car, started on it thanksgiving 2016 and my goal was all metal work completed by the end of this year. I'll easily make that. it will be a car again then and "only" the final body work fine tuning from there. I'm ready to drive one again I know that. see folks with their cars cruising and makes me ache for mine to be done. I don't think I can complete it by 2020's end but I will be close.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default drivers side

welded up the inner quarter panel brace repair and the small outer door jamb repair piece. I was very pleased with my decision to stay within my amateur skills and not go for the entire quarter panel replacement and do just the skin instead, I wanted to go by the original "hard locations" to guide me. reason being, this repop full quarter panel had a twisted door jamb area. would have had to send it back if I were using the entire panel. thankfully I'm cutting the jamb off and using the skin. but I knew I needed repair jamb pieces is why I got the entire quarter.

then moved on to the outer wheelhouse and completed that. rust proofed it all and ready to move on to the trunk drop off panel...…..

Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks great, makes me think I should have done my own quarters!

One thing I should mention, pay attention to the outer wheel house to quarter lip fitment before you perm mount the quarter in place. And don't work the quarter, work the outer wheelhouse. That will preserve the wheel opening shape, which will really show once it's painted and finished.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, been studying that. after doing all this other work, cutting into the outer wheelhouse lip for adjustment to the quarter doesn't even phase me. was aware not to mess with the quarter lip, friend had a 68 Gto and the outer lip was bent to fit and looked awful even in primer. also after all this work, I would remove the quarter and buy another and try again if its not right. I measured both outer wheelhouses (had the pass side on) a lot and surprised they are both actually close enough to the same. I did trim the quarter skin to rough fit to see how it was matching up, and appeared pretty good. final fitment will tell the tale though. your spot on, good advice thanks! take all the tips I can get.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, on a car that has wheel opening molding, it's even more crucial to leave the quarter opening as-is.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things, and the results show it. Keep on the same path and you will be golden!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Only 3 panels left!

completed the drivers side trunk drop off today. the trunk drop offs are more of a hassel than the outer wheelhouses.

couple pics are of the passenger side inner quarter panel brace, I had to rebuild the bottom portion. think I had 8 or 9 separate pieces I had to splice together like a puzzle. used thicker than oem steel throughout. rustproofed and then the outside jamb splice.

can't believe it. "just" 3 panels left and its a car again! both quarter skins and the outer tail panel.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default rough quarter fit, rear outer tail panel time woop woop!

rough trimmed the drivers quarter panel to check outer wheelhouse and trunk drop off fit. either lucky or I did good the fit is (not bragging) excellent. better than the passenger side and its good though. no drastic measures to do. both sides the outer wheelhouse is a great fit. drivers trunk drop off is a great fit, the passenger side trunk drop off is a half inch high at the bottom flange from mating up with the quarter bottom flange. easy tweak there though so no worries about my quarters etc very pleased!

prepped the outer tail panel this morning. only cut off the minimum to remove rust. first time iv'e used a spot weld remover bit. only because I need to save the heavy gauge bracket there. went right thru it a couple spots but didn't care because whats behind it needed replacing.

marked off the area to remove and cut it off. easy outer tail panel splice in here. the brace and inner tail panel behind the removed portion is all solid and in great shape. not that it won't be a good splice but the area will be completely hiddin by the bumper and panels to boot. only replacing the usual bottom rusted portion. no heavy spot welds to remove, no trunk panel guttering coming loose to risk things moving from square. staying within my comfort zone!

Old 08-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default firebird fillers and don't buy the camaro ones

for the 70-73 firebird folks here's a few pics of the odd shaped filler that fits with the quarter panel and outer tail panel. I had bought camaro fillers (pic) thinking they were the same. have been told no repop for firebirds yet. another good reason not to replace the entire panel if you don't need to.

my first 70-73 so I bought those un aware of exactly where they went. I thought they were towards the bottom, but there in the upper area and was glad mine are fine. they wrap all the way over the tail light opening.

the whole area and big gaps were completely filled and smoothed from the factory with seam sealer. I removed most of it and will re-apply. I tack welded a few areas where the factory didn't, that were just held together with seam sealer.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default new outer panel first rough cut

rough trimmed the new panel. seems a good piece. bump up slowly for fit from here. will only tack it on when ready as it needs to move around for fitment to the quarters and trunk drop offs I'm told. I can see why.

surprisingly not feeling in a hurry now as the car is really coming together. can see the end now and enjoying it.

definitely going to run cragar ss wheels with the smaller wider knock offs like I used to see in the mid seventies and could never afford a set!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default butt weld fit & rustproofed

final trimmed the outer tail panel splice in patch panel. it fits perfectly, did all the rustproofing I can do to this point. matches up excellent with the inner tail panel flange also. matches exactly to all the contours and odd shaped joggles I cut to remove minimum amount to cut out rust.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default inner and outer tail panels complete

not going to finish the predrilled bottom flange plug welds just going to weld up the top outer splice edge at this point. i'm not sure how the rear of the quarters and trunk drop offs all tie in together just yet and want to be able to move things just in case.