Old 01-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

back ally resto stuff? LOL!

again, what brand is that "dye"? might help for anyone that goes looking for it... is that receipt dated 1997? or 2007? either way 15-25 years later they may not still carry the stuff.

vinyl & plastic parts cant really be dyed from any product ive seen available recently, most of them are flexible paints. these parts were molded in color by GM, not dyed. i have seen a few small parts like dash grab handles on 80 pace cars of 79 10th anniv cars that were painted grey, when it wore off it was red or black underneath.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
So, Has anyone ever painted / Dyed a Seat with the SEM process?
My Son is building what was a 10,000 original mile Rust Free Fontaine Blue 65 Tempest.
Has the original AQUA Bench Seat that he needs to be Black. As nobody makes the correct seat cover or door panels we had been considering this option?
Any positive Results out there?
Side note: Funny that he bought this car from the family of a man who inherited from his grandmother and had passed away. He was in process of taking car apart and converting it into a GTO....It took a 25 year old enthusiast to want to "put it back into Bench Seat Tempest form. Funny, Many years ago the opposite would have been the norm. Of course he is putting a 65 dated 421 Tri-power 4 speed in the car now.
As l mentioned, I used SEM Color Coat (flexible paint) on my rear upper and lower seats over 10 years ago. Still looks great with no cracking or peeling. Prep is key....Prep is key.....Prep is key... In case it hasn't been mentioned enough times already.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
So, Has anyone ever painted / Dyed a Seat with the SEM process?
My Son is building what was a 10,000 original mile Rust Free Fontaine Blue 65 Tempest.
Has the original AQUA Bench Seat that he needs to be Black. As nobody makes the correct seat cover or door panels we had been considering this option?
Any positive Results out there?
Side note: Funny that he bought this car from the family of a man who inherited from his grandmother and had passed away. He was in process of taking car apart and converting it into a GTO....It took a 25 year old enthusiast to want to "put it back into Bench Seat Tempest form. Funny, Many years ago the opposite would have been the norm. Of course he is putting a 65 dated 421 Tri-power 4 speed in the car now.
Had mine done a few months ago. Custom mixed using SEM Paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats SEM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	604413  

Old 01-02-2023, 05:23 PM

Yes agreed the SEM line is high quality. No question there. I was just curious for the reason stated that the seats get sat in and obviously flex a lot. Seems those Firebird seats look great. My paint guy has used BULLDOG Adhesion Promoter. I was going to look into that product a little more.
I guess I didn't pay attention to Greg Reid's post. He claims to have done a rear seat. Holding up well? Obviously less wear on a rear seat than a front.
YES PREP PREP PREP....This is why i also brought up the BULLDOG Product.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the seats are holding up well but you are correct that they get little to no use. Been back there a few times on my knees working in the package tray or cleaning the back glass but that's about it. No cracking or peeling at all.
I think the the console lid is probably a better witness to it's durability. I've had my sweaty forearm on it quite a bit as I drive my car a mostly in summer and no AC. It was changed from black to aqua and has held up perfectly. So have the kick panels.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Says it all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24042DA9-9F0D-406F-8814-32DC85B73198.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	604445  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what does it say?? thats just a pic of their normal base coat paint, not the color coat paint used for plastic/vinyl we are discussing here. funny how everyone on this thread says SEM is EXCELLENT quality, ive seen professional shops use it out of the can as well as having it mixed for a gun... far from "back ally resto stuff"

still waiting for the brand of "dye" you bought back in 1997 youre telling people to just order from their auto paint store today...

Old 01-03-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to your auto body paint store. As usual you run your mouth with no proof what you say. If you like a Craig list Resto, spay your plastic on the ground in your driveway with the SEM scrap.
Correction to below post I WOULDNT SPRAY MATS OR SEATS.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-03-2023, 07:47 PM

Settle Down Uncle Leo,
Its just a conversation.
Also if you don't know the WalMart business model you can buy ANYTHING from them online. Almost like Amazon now. Several years ago i was looking for The repro GoodYear F70-14 tires and was shocked that they came up thru WalMart online cheaper the Kelsey Tire.
I clicked the button to buy and the next day received a call from the lady at Kelsey (whom I had dealt with before). She said "Yes, they have many thing online that they make zero mark up on" All in the attempt to be #1 in online retail. I received the tires dropped shipped about a week later. Just because it shows up at WalMart online means nothing.
The Vinyl process aside, SEM has long been a high quality paint used my many body shops.
All is good, just inquiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unknown.png
Views:	66
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	604502  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is any one putting any top coat to protect there painted dash or other plastic parts....???

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 01-03-2023, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would question my dye choice if I thought it needed a clearcoat for protection. done right this stuff should melt into the plastic/vinyl and be nearly impossible to remove!

Old 01-04-2023, 10:12 AM

Correct, NO Top/Clearcoat.
Everyone should look at the BULLDOG prep product i referenced earlier.
This is great prep product for this plastics / vinyl.

RA

Old 01-04-2023, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Is any one putting any top coat to protect there painted dash or other plastic parts....???
yes, SEM offers a low luster clear to use as a top coat, it provides a layer of protection from abrasion & wear. also makes the sheen less glossy. I have used SEM with excellent results on many parts on my cars as well as parts ive sold when the customer requests them to be painted.

i have used the bulldog adhesion promoter as well on some parts, im sure it helps on certain things but i noticed it can make the parts glossier than they should be in certain cases, the low luster clear made it a perfect sheen & adds some protection when using SEM, which doesnt melt into the plastic/vinyl since it & majority of other products are a paint.

as for dyes, i/we would love to hear of a brand that is a true dye for plastic/vinyl parts, so far just a 25 year old receipt with no mention of a brand....

Old 01-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Go to your auto body paint store. As usual you run your mouth with no proof what you say. If you like a Craig list Resto, spay your plastic on the ground in your driveway with the SEM scrap.
Correction to below post I WOULDNT SPRAY MATS OR SEATS.
run my mouth for asking a simple question for you to provide some info on what you say?? yeah ok guy. just like everything else you post like this... just the ambiguous "you know a guy" but never provide the info or tell people they have to google it, then get all mad or call people names & insult their project as back ally or craigslist restos with sem "scrap"... uncle leo! LOL!

by the way, out of curiosity i called 2 auto paint stores, 1 said they dont carry any product that is a real dye for plastic parts, just SEM or similar types of paint made for plastic/vinyl use. another one did say they have a product thats referred to as a dye but when i asked the rep if its a real dye he said no, it just has special resins that attach to the plastic/vinyl better than normal paints but it doesnt actually dye the part. he also mentioned what ive been told for years, that these interior parts are molded in color & cant be truly dyed like fabrics or carpet etc, & that if there is/was something like that it would just barely penetrate the surface & will still come off under heavy abrasion/wear.

so again, the definition of a dye vs specialty paint may be confusing. that'd be great if there was a real dye easily available for guys to use that actually changed the color of the part & doesnt scratch off on high wear areas, but so far there has been no mention of a specific product or brand, so people use & are more than happy with SEM "scrap", whatever scrap means.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:01 PM
Suspended

The clear coat depends on the brand and purpose. They don't all have the same sheen which means they don't all match the sheen you need. Decent quality spray generally won't need a clear coat for extra protection, that's just an added bonus the same as having an extra layer of anything. Many of the common name brands come out in a flat finish and the clear is a common way of adding the satin finish, and to sell you extra product.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
yes, SEM offers a low luster clear to use as a top coat, it provides a layer of protection from abrasion & wear. also makes the sheen less glossy. I have used SEM with excellent results on many parts on my cars as well as parts ive sold when the customer requests them to be painted.

i have used the bulldog adhesion promoter as well on some parts, im sure it helps on certain things but i noticed it can make the parts glossier than they should be in certain cases, the low luster clear made it a perfect sheen & adds some protection when using SEM, which doesnt melt into the plastic/vinyl since it & majority of other products are a paint.

as for dyes, i/we would love to hear of a brand that is a true dye for plastic/vinyl parts, so far just a 25 year old receipt with no mention of a brand....
x2. I have done a lot of stuff with SEM and typically top it off with their low lustre clear. I have never had a problem with their products. Then again I do the work in my shop, not the driveway, LOL.
I bought a set of seats at carlisle years ago just needing the frames, I was going to recover. They were black standard interior. Only after I started tearing them apart did I find out they had been 're-dyed/painted' black over tan. It had been on them for quite awhile and still looked ok. I would love to know what that product was!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM

One thing we know for sure is that the "Chemical" make up of any of these paints has changed probably at least 4-5 times in past 25 years. We call it the "Al Gore Effect" around here. In addition the phase out of Lacquer which was accomplished completely about 4-5 years back has caused so much change. This product from 25 years ago was most certainly a Lacquer "Dye" as mentioned and has not been available for a long time now. My painter has said for years now that is is a paint process and not a dye. The Dye process is almost a penetrating process sort of like melting in as in the Lacquer material.
Everything is new today and for sure a gun sprayable product can be obtained by the "Painters Supply" or Finish Masters" of the world but it would all be a paint process and nothing like back in the day. BOTH of these major suppliers carry the SEM line. It is a professional line that is made available to the consumer. Considered high end by all. Just because some of there items come out of a "spray bomb" means nothing. Even Eastwood has come out with some really quality materials made available in Spray Cans. In fact any paint supplier can load ANY paint by ANY Brand into a spray can if you wish. Just tailoring to the "Convenience demand" sort of like pulling up to your local grocery store and having somebody who has done all your shopping and bringing your groceries out to your car AND LOADING THEM while you sit in the drivers seat operating the back hatch by remote.. Sorry, couldn't help that last part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default Prep those panles

Make sure you use TSP to clean and wash the material whether it be plastic or vinyl. then used SEM prep binder spray. Use a semi gloss clear over the top to keep the color from gettting scuffed off when shooting plastic panels. Vinyl is just spray as the laquer will penetrate into the substaight and hold well. Thin coats are best and will last a long time.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 01-23-2023, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
One thing we know for sure is that the "Chemical" make up of any of these paints has changed probably at least 4-5 times in past 25 years. We call it the "Al Gore Effect" around here. In addition the phase out of Lacquer which was accomplished completely about 4-5 years back has caused so much change. This product from 25 years ago was most certainly a Lacquer "Dye" as mentioned and has not been available for a long time now. My painter has said for years now that is is a paint process and not a dye. The Dye process is almost a penetrating process sort of like melting in as in the Lacquer material.
Everything is new today and for sure a gun sprayable product can be obtained by the "Painters Supply" or Finish Masters" of the world but it would all be a paint process and nothing like back in the day. BOTH of these major suppliers carry the SEM line. It is a professional line that is made available to the consumer. Considered high end by all. Just because some of there items come out of a "spray bomb" means nothing. Even Eastwood has come out with some really quality materials made available in Spray Cans. In fact any paint supplier can load ANY paint by ANY Brand into a spray can if you wish. Just tailoring to the "Convenience demand" sort of like pulling up to your local grocery store and having somebody who has done all your shopping and bringing your groceries out to your car AND LOADING THEM while you sit in the drivers seat operating the back hatch by remote.. Sorry, couldn't help that last part.
Still is laquer if you get it from TCP global. Got all my Laquer paint from them.
for external and internal.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 02-10-2023, 03:49 PM

Always someone who doesn’t know you or your work that wants to judge. That’s the first time my work has been described as “back alley”. I’m done here. My cars are build and I don’t need this ****. Admin. Close account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk