Old 01-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Reuse clutch?

Any reason to replace the clutch before it all goes back together? Any prep y’all recommend?

Old 01-11-2023, 02:23 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Any reason to replace the clutch before it all goes back together? Any prep y’all recommend?

Personally, I always replace the clutch just to save myself the work of doing it all again sooner than later. I like later better. If it’s a fairly new clutch disc and pressure plate, probably at least change the throw out bearing and make sure everything is nice and clean prior to assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2023, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why? if it has less than 5k miles run it. Scuff up the flywheel and pressure plate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Why? if it has less than 5k miles run it. Scuff up the flywheel and pressure plate.
This.

If it was working fine then leave it alone, don’t replace anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I inspect the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel for burnt areas. Lay a straight edge on them, etc. Usually hit the flywheel and pressure plate quickly with a DA sander and an 80 grit pad. Check the disc wear grooves. Only replace if any of that looks bad.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:10 PM
Boost Engineer

ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!

I have made many posts about the glass bead prep I do on a "seasoned clutch" where the excess resin has coated the surface of the clutch disc.

Do a search on that topic.

But I have had access to a glass bead machine (commercial glass beader) for many years to remove that boiled off resin. Disc is usually is good for at least 5 years of very hard use. I clean the pressure plate surface with clean gasoline.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, you can clean it up and run it, especially if it had no issues. Obviously do a visual check, and obviously clean all contact surfaces with brake cleaner.

Just like brake pads & rotors, oils from your hands is not desired, and can compromise life.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it worked before why wouldn't it work after you put it back together? Back in the old days when I was always short of money I would use the pressure plate over and just replace the disc. I an NOT suggesting that but if the clutch is not excessively worn and it worked well before just use it again.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

I also glass beaded the flywheel. Used brake cleaner on the pressure plate. First make sure there is no blueing on either.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
If it worked before why wouldn't it work after you put it back together? Back in the old days when I was always short of money I would use the pressure plate over and just replace the disc. I an NOT suggesting that but if the clutch is not excessively worn and it worked well before just use it again.
If you see no cracks in the Pressure Plate Contact Ring clean it up and reinstall it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.