Old 03-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 2 #’s books, one by HPP, but you still need a BS to cross over, I can pm you your year out of the #’ book if you like.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No mention of axle ratio, engine size etc. I know the car came with a 301 due to the VIN having a W. Was there no codes listed on the build sheet for other options like power trunk release, Trans Codes and Rear Codes in 1980?
The engine is coded in the VIN in those years.
The 'W' as you said is the 301 4 bbl. If it had a 'Y' it would be the TA 4.9 (higher HP?)
The letter 'T' would be the turbo 301.

The rear gear would basically be what was standard for the car. (didn't look it up) If it had a different ratio ordered, it would be on the sheet probably.
Most were automatics with probably only one available. Manual trans would have been listed on sheet also.

Quote:
I am not sure if the hood bird was added at the dealer or not as my sheet does not show it.
The Bird would have been on the sheet if ordered.

The good thing is the WS6 on it.

It's black correct?
Good look for those years.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Black on Black. I am thinking the Gold Trim/Decals may have been added by the dealer. Car is in original condition and has not been driven since 2000. I found it in a barn in SC. Very Solid Car.
Rear is a 3.08 Posi-PQ code on axle and I took the cover off to check and it matches.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 03-17-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was the orig battery kept?

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could the Power Deck Release be part of a package, such as the Custom Trim Group? If so it wouldn't show up on the PHS from my understanding.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 03-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A90 is the deck release, it would be on there if installed by factory I'd say.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 77 has custom trim but no remote deck release. That was one of the few options it did not have.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can understand how PHS documents might not be the be-all for many;
In the Case of a Trans Am, any no-charge equipment would not be listed per-say;
As an example, in the case of a dirve train having standard gearing, no gear ratio would be listed.

If yours is an original Canadian ordered car (Z49 would be on the cowl tag, and the original gauges would have KPH predominant) you could get a different packet, where RPO's standard or optional would be listed.
Items such as a console, rally gauges w/tach, and posi rear would all be standard fare on a Trans Am of your vintage, so none of those items would be listed.

If the PHS packet is anything like it used to be, you should be able to look up those RPO's to see what was included with each of them.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
A90 is the deck release, it would be on there if installed by factory I'd say.
Yup. If it wasn't there, then that's because it didn't leave the factory with it. It was easy enough for a dealer to install the decklid release.

PHS from 1972 and earlier such as the GTOs and Lemans era have much more details on the order card than the later 1970s cars such as big cars and F-bodies. Part of this is the change GM did in their records and part of it was certain items becoming no-cost vs. charged costs. The base transmission in the '60s for most cars was the 3-on-the-tree so virtually every car got a transmission callout and a dollar amount associated with it, but by the late '70s this was no longer the case with most cars getting an automatic as standard or a credit for a manual. But in years like 1978, the manual and automatic were no-cost options between each other so you can't easily tell a '78 Trans Am was a 4 speed or automatic from looking at the PHS. Rear ends were also consolidated considerably by 1980 so you weren't going to the dealer and choosing from 6 different rear ends. A lot of things were implied.

PHS is most useful for determining special editions and actual costed options, solely because it's relatively easy to determine if it's an actual Trans Am but a Special Edition or W72 or WS6 car is not easily determined from looking at it and people pay big bucks for those factory codes vs. a plain jane car. Same with a GTO and their engine codes, people pay big money for them and having the factory order sheet saying it left the factory that way is what people want. A 1974 Bonneville or a 1980 301 Trans Am doesn't have the same need for it beyond "nice to have."

Old 03-18-2021, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
Well I was asking why the codes show up highlighted on all my GTO PHS docs but nothing on the TA. Funny how I send a VIN on 3 GTO's and they all come back with engine codes, trans codes, rear codes etc but I send one in on a 80 model car and get a generic sheet with nothing highlighted. Wasn't gripping.
If you don't like what I have to say-- pound sand and don't reply.
sure sounds like your an unhappy camper to me. lol

Old 03-19-2021, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Suggestion from HFR:
Surprised a copy of the master order form wasn't included with the documents. (It would have shown what the option groups included, etc.)

Here is a link to the MVMA form for 1980 Firebird:
1980 MVMA pdf

Old 03-19-2021, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John, in respect to your earlier post concerning the engine designator in the VIN.

T = Turbo 301 (LU8)
W = 301 4 bbl (L37) AND 301 4 bbl (L37 w W72; AKA, the T/A 4.9)

Y in '77-79 was 301 2bbl (L27) seem to be most common in '77
Y in '80 & 81 (& later) is the 307 Olds engine, not used in the Firebird line.

When one gets into the production numbers of '80 TransAms, the number of cars built with the L37 engine & the optional l37 w W72 option is not broken out separately, that is unfortunate,

In respect to rear axle ratios, we know Pontiac built the the cars with certain ratios for certain engine & transmission combinations. For 1980 models, the LU8 equipped TransAm model was equipped 3.08 limited slip. All normal LU8 builds were factory AC required & with the 3.08 ratio. The actual Pacecar used to pace the 1980 Indy 500 was built w/o AC & had 2.56 gearing. Am sure there was a backup as well. The '80 Indianapolis 500 Festival cars were built just like all of the other '80 pace cars, AC & 3.08 limited slip.

After examining original non turbo 301 built T/A's & Formulas going back to them being new, I stand by my earlier comments. The base 301 4bbl engine equipped '80 T/A's I've continually examined & harvested #9 posi carriers out of in the late 80's- mid 00's were for the most part southern cars with factory AC. All had 2.41 ratio gearing. These base 301 4bbl equipped '80 TA's & Formulas were, & are, easy to spot not simply by their VIN engine designator but by the absence of the large grommet & hole in the firewall to route the ESC harness. While exhaust systems get changed over the years, originally from the factory the base 301 4bbl engine '80 Formulas & T/A's received a very modest system with a cross flow muffler.

Would like to thank you & HFR for the link for the 1980 MVMA specs.
It would be nice if there was more information in them, ESP in respect to additional weights w certain options.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-19-2021 at 08:32 AM.