Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 PM

Default brake booster

guys, i took my 60 bonneville to a swapmeet on the weekend and found the brake pedal started to "creep" if i held it down over a period of time. if i let it up and depressed it again there was a return to normal of the pedal height. brakes were still working fine. Im picking the seals are on the way out and fluid is getting past the seals. Quetion, is it worthwhile rebuilding this original one or ,,,,,, has anyone used an aftermarket booster successfully and if so could i get details of the size and type. Secondly i would like to use a dual system instead of the single system it has now for added security. has anyone done this succesfully. perhaps a later model pontiac will also fit and work .

Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that's more likely the symptom of a leaking master cylinder, not the booster, but it's worth checking both to be sure.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree but a leaking master can ruin the booster given enough time.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it using brake fluid? If not, it is not leaking into the booster. Fluid MAY just be leaking past the primary cup in the master cylinder and returning to the reservoir.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM

hi guys, thanks for the replys. Bill i am not using fluid and i found none under the carpet as can happen if its leaking. i thort that as there is a problem here it would be a good time to either refurbish booster and cylinder or upgrade to a dual system.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with a dual master cylinder from Master Power Brakes (4-wheel drum, non-power brakes). I'm just getting my car up and running, but it's working well so far. The kit was basically just a dual master cylinder that bolts up in the original holes. I just added lines and a line-loc for burnouts.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM

I had the same symptom in my '67 Firebird. I eventually traced the problem to a vacuum leak where the MC bolts onto the booster. The rubber cup-shaped seal there had cracked. I replaced that seal with one from a junkyard and it has worked fine for the past twelve years. I don't know if a '60 has the same type of seal but since that is easy to check and replace you may want to check it first before doing anything else.

1983 Buick S&S Hearse, cheap transportation and parts hauler
1967 Buick GS 400 4speed
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM

thanks for the replies thus far. i think i will pull the booster off and measure the bolt hols in the firewall. I mite put an after market booster and resivoir on so i can have dual brake system. i will see what i can source here in new zealand before i look further afiled. thanks