Old 08-13-2022, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 Rear Bumper

Looking to replace the rear bumper on my 73 Trans Am - not a numbers match car, so repro is fine for this build. Looks like the Goodmark unit - part # GMK432180070 is the main game in town for this part?

Also wanting to replace the brackets and discovered that the brackets for 70-72 cars are not the same as the brackets on the 73 cars. I saw this on the Firebird Central website:

‘Fits all 70, 71, and 72 Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am models. Can be used for '73 models but the rear bumper won't stick out as far as the factory '73 models.’

Frankly, I’d like it if the bumper was tucked in closer to the rear of the body. Just wondering if anyone here on the forum has used 70-72 brackets on a 73 car and if there are any installation issues I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the 70-72 brackets work fine . The quarter panel bracket has adjustment slots for nuts to move so bumper can go in and out. NJSTEVE has a set for sale cheap in the for sale threads on here.
Keep that goodmark unit WAXED... All the time. Wax the inside before installing.
Originally the car had little pads where all the brackets touch the body to reduce paint scratching. I have used ele tape as I don't like the thin foam Originally used.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank You!

Bumper and 70-72 brackets ordered. Will post pics!