Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-17-2023, 08:58 AM
Senior Chief

Default 71 T37 light blue interior

My car has a light blue interior, code 231 on the tag. 71 T-37 (Tempest) with brocade cloth seats. Does anyone reproduce interior upholstery etc. in that color? Most repro stuff seems to be the dark blue GTO seats
WhTs the story with this color? I had a 71 GP with the same interior color so I'm not sure if it was only in the cheapest cars (?)

Old 06-17-2023, 09:11 AM

No reproduction available for that interior. Door panels are also not reproduced. SMS interiors in Canby Oregon has the old fabrics and vinyl in stock for most classic cars. I ordered the yardage in dark green vinyl and cloth for my 69 Bonneville Brougham. Took about 11 months to get it, but material is spot on to original. If you still have the original upholstery, you can remove it and ship to them and they can see up and make new ready to install covers. Or just get the material and have your local upholstery shop do it.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

So, there were 2 different blue interior colors available in 71, or is the lighter blue just on the T37?

Old 06-17-2023, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is only one shade of blue in 71 GM A-bodies, it's the same shade as in '72. Was also avail in 71 GP's. I've always referred to it as Medium Blue. '69 & 70 Pontiac A-bodies & B -bodies used a darker Blue. If you compare original windlace trim or say, original deluxe steering wheels between a '70 GTO or LeMans Sport with dark blue interior to the BLUE used in a '71 T-37 2 door with 231 vinyl/parody cloth interior, the difference is night & day.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anything you need to know about the vinyl/parody cloth '71 T-37 hardtop or Coupe interiors, feel free and ask, been down that road on two cars. Similar deal on 72 base LeMans with the base vinyl/Potomac cloth bench seat interior.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info

So just to be sure, all the repro 71 GTO and Lemans interior seats and door panels are this color?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9220E7F-D7BC-4418-A433-6EE6859B38A2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	614380   Click image for larger version

Name:	6510A971-78E6-48BA-9771-286161A842F0.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	614381  

Old 06-18-2023, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same shade of blue as original '71 GTO/LeMans Sport blue interior.
Am not currently acquainted with the shade of what's avail for the blue 71 GTO door panels.
Your '71 T-37 panels look pretty nice!

Old 06-18-2023, 12:20 PM
Senior Chief

Thx, I just have to do the seat covers and rear deck. They are the cloth ("Parody"?) material which I hope is available from SMS

Old 06-18-2023, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SMS took care of me many years ago on blue parody cloth. Sourced the correct vinyl through a large local trim supply. Both come by the running yard, remember correctly the roll was 60" wide. Would ck your seats original blue vinyl for any damage. It's very common to run across sun fade, seams pulled apart, the vinyl edges of the front seat upper cushions dried out. It doesn't take much to require total new construction of the seat covers. take into consideration the foam will typ need to be replaced at least on the lower front cushions. Of the three 71 & 72 Pontiac 231 & 241 trim code A body's & one Buick A-body blue fabric & vinyl bench seat interiors I've removed from cars, only one front bench could I have possiblly have got away with reusing all the original blue vinyl.

Another problem I've seen with the results of many upholstery shops... They simply are not proficient in working with the thin fabric & vinyl bench seats & they can't get what I'll call the front edge nice & straight. In other words that "cord" type vinyl edge will wander The vinyl & thin fabric tend to pull at a different rate & for me, close enough just doesn't work. It pays to be cautious in who you source to perform this style of upholstery work. Personally, I'd want to see several examples of their work in similar thin fabric & vinyls before dropping off everything.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 06-18-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:51 PM

Default 1971 LeMans Blue interior

Hi not sure if you would be interested but I'm going to list this very nice 1971 LeMans interior for sale

Rear Seat
Front bench no arm rest
Rear trim panels
Rear arm rest plastic and steel trim
2 spoke steering wheel
Steering column
Original carpet
Front door panels
Front armrest pad and bases
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 LeMans 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	615492   Click image for larger version

Name:	71 LeMans 3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	615493   Click image for larger version

Name:	71 LeMans 4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	615494   Click image for larger version

Name:	71 LeMans 5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	615495  

Old 07-12-2023, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

Hey, that looks nice, where are you located?
Is the front and back a different shade or is it just the light?

Old 07-12-2023, 05:16 PM

Same colour front and back I can have it available for pu in Ohio anytime

Old 07-13-2023, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

What price are you looking for?

Old 07-14-2023, 03:03 AM

It’s listed for sale now under appropriate section

$4000

Old 07-14-2023, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
SMS took care of me many years ago on blue parody cloth. Sourced the correct vinyl through a large local trim supply. Both come by the running yard, remember correctly the roll was 60" wide. Would ck your seats original blue vinyl for any damage. It's very common to run across sun fade, seams pulled apart, the vinyl edges of the front seat upper cushions dried out. It doesn't take much to require total new construction of the seat covers. take into consideration the foam will typ need to be replaced at least on the lower front cushions. Of the three 71 & 72 Pontiac 231 & 241 trim code A body's & one Buick A-body blue fabric & vinyl bench seat interiors I've removed from cars, only one front bench could I have possiblly have got away with reusing all the original blue vinyl.

Another problem I've seen with the results of many upholstery shops... They simply are not proficient in working with the thin fabric & vinyl bench seats & they can't get what I'll call the front edge nice & straight. In other words that "cord" type vinyl edge will wander The vinyl & thin fabric tend to pull at a different rate & for me, close enough just doesn't work. It pays to be cautious in who you source to perform this style of upholstery work. Personally, I'd want to see several examples of their work in similar thin fabric & vinyls before dropping off everything.
Thx for the info, great to see someone who's familiar with this

About that "Parody" material, it's so flat, does it tend to get wrinkled/bunched up easily? Almost seems like with the soft foam that would tend to happen

Old 07-14-2023, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnroundport View Post
It’s listed for sale now under appropriate section

$4000
Ok thx I will think about it.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

Called up Ames yesterday, seems like there's a 12-16 month waiting list for GTO bench covers (?!), and they don't sell it in non armrest form.
I may just go with the SMS stuff