Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default mgarblik, Cliff R, and Tom Vaught

I've been on this site for over twenty years now and just want to say that these three guys have had the most reliable and helpful comments re engine building IMO as anyone on here. There are many more very helpful commenters but I respect these guys the most. If you are building a Pontiac engine and need guidance find a thread with their suggestions in it and you can almost always if not always take what they are saying to the bank. Sometimes they may piss you off a little (except for Mike Garblik he is always mild mannered) but they are THE experts IMHO. As I said there are others.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 02:29 PM

i agree, cliff has been very helpful to me. as have all the others. thanks to all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ponchonlefty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of good contributors over the years. Do you remember "screamingchief" and OMT of California? I use to confuse him with Jim Taylor of Scientex cam from Pennsylvania. Although I was very skeptical of Jims cams because of his single pattern cam design , Jim and Ernie made me a believer in Pontiacs, building my first 500hp Pontiac engine. Although I haven't built a single pattern cam in over 20 years, I recall Jim stating " if you port the exhaust flow 80% of the intake flow, there's nothing wrong with using a single pattern cam ".

Last edited by 68WarDog; 07-09-2022 at 03:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68WarDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike is a perfectionist and there's no way we could have kept an engine together enough to run 250 mph without his expertise. Period.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All three definetly should be on the "legends" list going on in the race section.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Sometimes they may piss you off a little (except for Mike Garblik he is always mild mannered) but they are THE experts IMHO.
That's a shame about Mr. Garblik, I like my technical expertise with a side of crankiness. Anything we can do to make him a little grumpier?

Old 07-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

steve25, tom s, paul k, shaker455, ta man, grandville455, formula jones, stan weiss, just a few other names that come to mind. lotta cool and knowledgable people on here, really a great forum. and i kinda like when the old guys get grumpy, although i am also the kind of guy that watches bum fights on youtube and enjoys teasing small children so maybe not everyone's taste.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree. Oh Cliff another book on setting timing,vaccum,springs etc. For the young.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
That's a shame about Mr. Garblik, I like my technical expertise with a side of crankiness. Anything we can do to make him a little grumpier?
I don't know Mike, but if I was going to try to get him wound up I'd start by telling him he "can't do something" ..... I think that might work a little.

As a last resort tell him his procedure for line-boring blocks is wrong!

Old 07-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am generally pretty easy going, that's true. I get on the forum to relax, really. Don't actively participate in any other social media. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and such. Every now and then I may post something on the My Tractor Forum in the small engine area. Like anyone, can get pretty upset when things go completely off the rails. Like the year we burned up 40 pistons trying to get the tune-up right on the Grocery Getter replica, spraying 600 HP. with two nitrous systems. That was a rough year. I used to think I knew allot about Quadrajets, too. Friends called me Dr. Quad. Then I got Cliff's book and paid attention to his posts. There was a heck of a lot I didn't know about them, that's for sure. I learned all my engine building machining skills from one guy, Colin Myers. He went by "Hot Rod" during his career. C0-Owner of Parsons and Myers Racing engines and former master machinist for A-Hines Racing Engines in Lawrenceburg, IN. He also worked for John Lingenfelter for a time. He built every engine the same, no matter what it was or if he happened to like it. From a K16 single cylinder Kohler, to a VW Rabbit Diesel, to Pat Dakin's top fuel engine. They were all done exactly the same.......the best he could do. Learned allot from that guy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I don't know Mike, but if I was going to try to get him wound up I'd start by telling him he "can't do something" ..... I think that might work a little.

As a last resort tell him his procedure for line-boring blocks is wrong!
if you are referencing my post in your 600 hp thread i would respectfully suggest that the issues may relate more to my choice of wives and girlfriends (may they never meet) than your ability to build engines!

that said i am not above a little friendly poop-stirring here and there ...

i'd buy from you again and i'd have you build me an engine if i were your way. but i'd also send my cranky ex your way if she didn't agree with your definition of "streetable"

Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good story about Mike: hopefully most of you know by now that he teaches general automotives, engine machining and high-performance engine building at the local community college. (lots of lucky students)

I took the Grocery Getter to a charity car show a bunch of years ago. I was approached by a young guy who identified himself as a past student of Mike's. He told me "Mr. Garblik is 5 times better than any of the other teachers at Sinclair. We know because of this car that nothing he says is BS."

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We’re very fortunate to have some experts around here who have lived it and are happy to share what they’ve learned.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 09:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Thank You. Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And Jay S ..... a quiet and shinning star around here since 2018.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
And Jay S ..... a quiet and shinning star around here since 2018.

An Amen on that!!! Got to meet him at Great Bend last fall. We got to talk for quite awhile. Someone oiled down the track, it took at least 3 hours to clean it up, no exaggeration!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-09-2022, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
steve25, tom s, paul k, shaker455, ta man, grandville455, formula jones, stan weiss, just a few other names that come to mind. lotta cool and knowledgable people on here, really a great forum. and i kinda like when the old guys get grumpy, although i am also the kind of guy that watches bum fights on youtube and enjoys teasing small children so maybe not everyone's taste.
and steve c! had numerous useful pm's years ago, very helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Imo.... Steve C is an honorable mention for sharing all of his dyno testing and track tests over the years. All great stuff we can learn from. Not many realize how hard it is to get results when trying to test an A to B part. Steve C has done this more than anyone on this board that I am aware of..... JMHO

Old 07-10-2022, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad you guys are adding names I knew you would. I'll add Jim Robertson hope I didn't miss him already added by one of you. Also Chris Collins Moparcolt on here.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And let's not forget Schurkey and Kenth