Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

I have been putting my new (rebuilt) Pontiac 455 through the paces and have found a problem with periodic bogging/nosing in on heavy acceleration at about 3500 rpm; it has been suggested to me by one shop that my carb's float bowl may be too small (I am using the Rochester Q-jet from my previous Olds 455). I am using an aftermarket mechanical Carter fuel pump, so I think I am getting plenty of juice to the carb. Anyone with suggestions?? Thanks!!

78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet) - I only get 12 mpg!
Old 04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

I have been putting my new (rebuilt) Pontiac 455 through the paces and have found a problem with periodic bogging/nosing in on heavy acceleration at about 3500 rpm; it has been suggested to me by one shop that my carb's float bowl may be too small (I am using the Rochester Q-jet from my previous Olds 455). I am using an aftermarket mechanical Carter fuel pump, so I think I am getting plenty of juice to the carb. Anyone with suggestions?? Thanks!!

78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet) - I only get 12 mpg!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's some good info here.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gtoper...rajetTech.html