Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Camper trailer behind 60 Bonneville

Hi
What do you guys think about the weight of a camper trailer behind a 60 Bonneville convertible with Super Hydramatic transmission? Is the Hydramatic strong enough or do I risk transmission trouble? Do I need an extra oil cooler?What kind of weight would be ok? Can't find anything in the shop manual. Was it sold with trailer hitch when it was new?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People towed trailers with them all the time back when they were new, so there should be no issues today if the car is in good condition - engine, transmission and especially brakes. I'm sure you could get a trailer hitch on them when they were new, although it may have been a dealer installed accessory. Typically back then they used a simple bumper hitch, but depending on the size and weight of your trailer you may need something heavier duty.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 PM

The trans should have no problem at all pulling a load. These were stout transmissions back then and held up very well. As long as the transmission fluid is a clean reddish/pink and you use common sense, you'll be golden.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 PM

Front disc brake conversion comes to mind, a wise investment for safety's sake.

A trans cooler is always a good idea when towing a heavy trailer.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled my 19' camper with my 1963 Bonneville with no trouble at all. If the car is in good condition I can't see any problem. Like b-man said a trans cooler. As long as you have trailer brakes you should stop fine.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 PM

Thanks a lot for the answers, then I'll go on looking for a trailer with brakes.
And installing an oil cooler.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plenty of trailer places can outfit brakes on trailers that didnt come with them. Dont let that deter you from a nice trailer at good price.
Many of those shops can probably help outfit the car with a suitable receiver.

Tow anything an additional transcooler is worth having. Never hurt to have an oil cooler as well, to take some of the load off your water cooling.

Fwiw A friend tows a small early 50's airstream behind his 55 plymouth 2 dr wagon 6cyl standard shift. Std drums no trailer brakes. Lives in Adirondack region. I dont recall him complaining about stopping and he's kind of a safety conscious guy.

My Escalade has factory tow package (besides the hitch and wiring) which includes an upgraded radiator with oil cooler and standard internal trans cooler PLUS external trans cooler.