Old 10-26-2021, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

HWYSTR455,
It took a little fabrication but the downpipes are now aligned nice with the humps of the crossmember. We have the pinion angle down good as well. We did make the rear / upper control arms adjustable. We put the car down on blocks and checked the angle and it's good to go. I think we're just going to button up the exhaust this week. If we're not able to make the H or the X, I'll consider doing it sometime down the road.

Formulajones,
I know I have Flowmasters and I see a sticker on the pipe with 16155. I'm guessing thats the model / part number. Here is a video of my car prior to us messing with the exhaust I'm sure I'll upgrade the exhaust at one point...just not sure what I'll do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCYxGdvIVj4

Old 10-26-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe Joe already has the correct head pipes - purchased at same time as RA manifolds. Joe?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

grivera,
Yeah, thats correct. When I bought the car, it had headers...I bought the downpipes when I bought the RA manifolds.

Last edited by Va68goat; 10-26-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was meaning correct downpipe = pypes if you choose to use the pypes x kit.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-29-2021, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I had a SBC Chevelle with Flowmaster mufflers once. It sounded terrible. Like glass-packs (Which I always hated). Clattering sound like the rods are gonna fly out of it. Added a crossover and it sounded great. Strange how much it affected the sound.
No H pipe + 2 chamber Thrush Welded is my new nirvana. Car sounds just like it did before I loused it up with the H. I don't hear any "rods ready to fly out" sound either. Shop that installed says he takes out more H and X pipes than he installes on classic muscle. They're fine with a quiet exhaust if like your car to sound like a Mustang.

https://youtu.be/jy2-6x7sJR8

Old 10-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that sounds awesome!

Old 10-29-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It really needs to be under power to understand the noise that everyone is trying to describe without a crossover. Idling and just cruising won't show any difference.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-30-2021, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The sound at idle was the most greatly affected by the H pipe. Mine completely lost that “cammy” burble with the H pipe in place. It evened the exhaust pulses out to the point it idled like “my dad’s old station wagon”. Under acceleration it made more of a “whooshing” sound and was also very soft sounding on the deceleration. Now, it sounds very authoritative on the throttle but just a touch more “rappy” on deceleration. I know a lot of people don’t like the slightly metallic “ping “ at idle that is characteristic of the chambered muffler, but I actually prefer it. To my ears it enhances the mechanical noise and characteristics of the car. Different strokes.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mind the metallic ping at idle. I've never had a problem with idle with or without cross overs, the only big difference I notice is that they tend to idle a little bit louder without a cross over. Not a big deal, I like it either way.

It's under power and high rpm decel where the difference is most noticeable. Like you mentioned, it's rappy on decel. Outside the car it's similar on acceleration. Depending on the muffler it can be much worse or not so bad, but it happens because you're trying to cram 4 cylinders down a single pipe with no where else to go (why crossovers are worth power). In extreme examples it can sound like an engine on 7 cylinders and even get really raspy. Muffler choice becomes even more critical to try and control it.

That's the type of stuff we are referring to.

If you want to enhance the mechanical noise of the engine, that' s what electric cutouts are for And a hellofalot of fun.

https://youtu.be/HQ7e9o4qAaI

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-30-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what mufflers? Sounds nasty uncapped.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forget the name of those mufflers, it's been a lot of years with that system and I think the manufacture of those mufflers is long out of business now.
They are a race style muffler though, small case and straight through design with no packing. Actually very quiet inside the car, no drone and pleasant to drive.

https://youtu.be/YYoXURd5rM0

Old 10-31-2021, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We eliminated the H-pipe and went with the straights duals. I may consider doing an X pipe later on but for now I'm going to run straight duals. We took the car for a test drive and all went well. Beside the trans swap we did a lot of upgrades. Working on getting the transmission computer programmed now. Here is what we did-

- TH400 to 4L80E with a US-Shift Quick 4 Gen 2 (TCI Throttle position sensor)
- Rear/upper adjustable control arms (replaced all bushings)
- Rebuilt the rear end with Strange 3.55 gears
- Moser axels and bearings
- New driveshaft
- Dakota Digital Gauges
- Jeep steering gear box
- Floor and trunk pans
- Exhaust tips
- New carpet
- Converted all exterior and interior lights to LED's

We're going to work on programming the trans. It came with a stock program but the converter is locking up too early (3rd gear). I've done some reading and asking around and it the consensus is to have the converter lock up around 48 mph. The US-Shift allows me to set 4 programs. I'm thinking I may keep the preprogrammed setting but change when the converter locks up. Anyone here have any experience programming the US-Shift Quick 4 Gen 2 trans computer?I'd like to get some thoughts on programming the computer for a little more aggressive shifting and maybe another program for a road trip (long distance). I can provide a copy of the engine dyno sheet if that is needed.

- Joe

Old 10-31-2021, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a laptop?

It's best to use a laptop for the tuning where you can go in and get very detailed with transmission parameters.

With a laptop you'll see where you can play with the converter, have it lock in just 3rd, just 4th, or both, or not at all. It has ability to lock and unlock at any rpm and mph you choose. The Quick 4 is a nice piece.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Formulajones,
I do have a laptop. I have a MacBook and since US-Shift doesn't have the software for a Mac, I was able to convince my wife that she needed a new laptop.

I hooked up the new laptop to the trans controller but I think programming and making changes to the current program is a little over my head so I just looked around and didn't change anything. I spent a little time today reading about it and watching some videos. Just not that confident in making any changes. I was going to talk to tech support at US-Shift and get some help but I'd like to get to a point where I'm comfortable making some changes.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you do a TPS set and save that to all 4 tunes, you can make changes you wish to individual tunes and save those changes individually. Maybe experiment with tune 1.
If it's a change that drives terrible, you can use the knob on the handheld and switch to tune 2-3-4 to get back home as they are all the same at this point.

In other words if you are experimenting with changes, just save it in the default tune and leave 2-3-4 alone until you nail something down you're happy with. That way you'll always have the base tunes to fall back on. Once you find what you like for converter lockup, you can either save that to all 4 tunes or maybe make one tune a race tune with lockup in 3rd, or no lockup, or.....the choices are endless which is what makes these electronic transmissions awesome. The online videos they have are also very helpful, and hitting F1 on the laptop will also give you descriptions of any given table you're on.

I really can't make suggestions on lockup speeds without being there because every car seems to be a little different on what it's going to like but you'll get it figured out pretty quickly.

Here's how I attacked it. What I've done is work on part throttle stuff first, and I save that to all 4 tunes. Takes a bit of time to get part throttle shift points up and down, and shift pressures whether harsh or soft, exactly where you would like them to be. I also do the same with part throttle converter lockup so it's working nicely for light cruise speeds, around town, etc.... Save all that to all 4 tunes. That's all simply just going to take some seat time.

When I start working on the more aggressive stuff like WOT shift points, or whether I want the converter to lock at full throttle at say 5000 rpm in 3rd gear and stuff like that, I start saving that to individual tunes. If I want the car to shift at 5800, I save that in a tune. If I want 6500 I save that in another tune. I may or may not have the converter lockup in 3rd, or use that in another tune....etc....
so when I'm at the track I have this stuff set and just hit the knob on the handheld and switch tunes. There are a lot of options.

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-31-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Appreciate the help Formulajones. All good points you made. I'll have the car home soon and in the mean time, I'll be reading a lot and watching as many videos as I can.