Old 10-30-2021, 05:03 PM

Looking sharp. What are you going to do as far as tail lights? Did you look at Digi-tails

Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks James.
I decided to experiment on the bezels. They make reproductions in plastic and plated cast pot metal just like the originals. I did a separate thread asking about them. Some are quick to badmouth the plastic ones but others chimed about the plastic and said once there on the car, you can't tell the difference and that they hold up well. I kind of looked it like this. All cars are plastic today and that hasn't been a problem. Anyway, I went with the plastic but if I don't like them, I'll buy as set of the plated pot metal ones. Ames said they have received good feedback on the plastic ones they sell. We shall see.
The plastic bezels were $209 a pair and the cast ones are $399 a pair. The plastic ones are a little harder to install because studs must be mounted on them and ground wires have to be run to the light sockets.
The seller of the car had purchased a used set in very nice used condition but I opted for new ones anyway since I want everything on this car to appear like brand new. I will sell those along with a lot of other left over stuff I have.

As far as the tail light lenses, the ones that came in the car look nice and I think with a little polish, will look new.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 10-31-2021, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just looked at the Digi-Tails website for the first time. Looks like they make a cool product but as far as GTOs, they only make them for the '67 model.
I think I will just use LED bulbs. I've used them on other cars and had good luck with them. Brighter and draw less current.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 11-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a few years ago when I bought the new Ames "Premium bumper" and at
that time they were claiming that the fit was "Excellent".

Old 11-02-2021, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
It was a few years ago when I bought the new Ames "Premium bumper" and at
that time they were claiming that the fit was "Excellent".
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they either solved the quality control problems or sourced another vendor since you bought yours. It will be about a month or so before I'm ready to do a trial fit.

I did go out to my steel pile and inspected what I think was the original bumper on my car. It does have a number stamped into it in the license plate recessed area.
However, it does have 3 or 4 bends in it and a couple of dings too. If it is restorable, it would need a chrome shop with the correct form to be able to straighten it against.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they either solved the quality control problems or sourced another vendor since you bought yours. It will be about a month or so before I'm ready to do a trial fit.

I did go out to my steel pile and inspected what I think was the original bumper on my car. It does have a number stamped into it in the license plate recessed area.
However, it does have 3 or 4 bends in it and a couple of dings too. If it is restorable, it would need a chrome shop with the correct form to be able to straighten it against.
Roger, this is likely the date code stamp in the bumper. Our friend Paul has had many original bumpers rechromed / straightened. If you are not concerned wtih 100% originality (as we understand), then the reproduction bumper might solve your needs.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 11-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's mine I just got in the mail from Ames, it's the better of the 2 they sell. Chrome looks great to me. Can't comment on fit since it won't be on the car til Feb. No complaints here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211102_171330.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	576808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211102_171356.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	576809  

Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We missed your anniversary. Your first post was 10/12/2020.........I can't believe how little you've accomplished in a year

Old 11-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Here's mine I just got in the mail from Ames, it's the better of the 2 they sell. Chrome looks great to me. Can't comment on fit since it won't be on the car til Feb. No complaints here
Looks like we are both in the same boat and hoping that they fit well. I should know soon after I get the main body painted which should be within a month. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
We missed your anniversary. Your first post was 10/12/2020.........I can't believe how little you've accomplished in a year
Yeah, I thought about it before that date came and meant to mention it but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.
When I started I didn't think I'd be this far along in a year. I still don't have a good feeling on when I will consider the car done though. There's still too much to do for me to really estimate that. I haven't taken any vacations up to this point. I had hoped to until the Delta variant came. Other than weather and body soreness, I've pretty much not taken any breaks. However, it does seem I spend about as much time on the computer researching stuff as I do in my shop.

Here's some things I've done since my last post:

I made a decision and ordered an exhaust system.
I went with the Magnaflow Street Series crossmember back kit. It's a stainless 2 1/2" system. This week I saw a '69 GTO on BaT that had that system and it convinced me that was the same route I wanted to go. No supply chain issue on that. It will be delivered next week.

Since I will soon be installing the A/C evaporator box on the body followed by the inner fenders, I ordered a new evaporator. I had read on a Chevelle forum that an '85 Chevy pickup evaporator fits inside the A body case. I liked that idea because it allows the use of an orifice tube and accumulator versus an expansion valve and POA. I think it will look more clean under the hood and I'm using an A/C compressor that can work in a cycling system with no problems. I also ordered a new blower motor and squirrel cage and the application for that is for the rear A/C in a '95 Astro Van. A few others on this forum have done that and say it fits fine and has more blowing power than the stock motor.

I had mentioned before that the front valance for the car must have hit parking stops multiple times. I had done quite a bit of hammer and dolly work on it before the front end mock up but it still needed some more to get ready for primer. I got that done, shot a couple coats of epoxy primer on it and then applied a skim coat of filler to it. Here it is after sanding the filler:

Then sealed again with 2 more coats of epoxy yesterday:

This morning, I applied 3 coats of 2K urethane primer and then moved out into the sun to speed up the cure. Then this afternoon I sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the inside of it.

I applied epoxy primer to the insides of the fenders using a brush. 2 coats applied with a day in between each coat.

I got the inner fenders done with epoxy over the last few days as well. I started out with 2 coats of epoxy on the undersides followed by 2 coats of 3M undercoating. I then sprayed a single coat of epoxy over the undercoating.

Then yesterday, I flipped them over and sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the top sides. Today I sanded them some using 320 along with some scuffing with maroon Scotchbrite. I then sprayed them with 2 coats of 25% reduced epoxy primer. They are now ready for installing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice results with the valance. I really like the idea of the single epoxy coat over the 3M undercoating giving it a durable looking finish.
I'm thinking the top sides of those inner fenders might stand out a bit too much with that high gloss finish. Then again, with the added bling of that awesome motor you've got it could look good.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Nice results with the valance. I really like the idea of the single epoxy coat over the 3M undercoating giving it a durable looking finish.
I'm thinking the top sides of those inner fenders might stand out a bit too much with that high gloss finish. Then again, with the added bling of that awesome motor you've got it could look good.
Thanks!
SPI epoxy will dull up to a nice semi-gloss when it cures.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ah! Didn't know it dries to a semi-gloss finish. Nice product.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Ah! Didn't know it dries to a semi-gloss finish. Nice product.
A lot less shiny today:

The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I'm thinking 2 to 3 years to complete the car. I will take time off from it from time-to-time. Plus, I rarely put in full days on it. Mostly afternoons.
I won't be taking much time off with Covid going on. So I hope to get a lot done this next winter and spring. The longer Covid is a big problem, the faster I'll get the car done. I don't want to be in a big rush as I enjoy working on them as much as having them done. Maybe more so.
Well that was November 2020 and look where you are now, impressive. We should all throw in our guesses here on your completion date. I'm thinking she'll see asphalt late August 2022.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well that was November 2020 and look where you are now, impressive. We should all throw in our guesses here on your completion date. I'm thinking she'll see asphalt late August 2022.
I think that's a pretty good guess.
Back when I made that statement I thought I would be taking some time away from home over this past summer. The delta variant changed those plans.
I am ahead of where I thought I'd be at this point. No vacations plus the body work went a bit faster than I expected.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I sprayed 20% reduced epoxy primer on the doors and underneath side of the trunk lid today. Tomorrow I will spray the top side of it. All the panels will then be ready for the final wet sanding with 500 grit.

Over this past week I sprayed what I thought was the final application on the hood and both fenders but noticed reflection flaws that I didn't see before. Very minor but required blocking and a re-application of reduced primer. I blocked those areas using 400 and guide coat again after the 2nd application as well. I'm happy with everything now.

Great reflections on the doors. No problems there.

I've got the other panels out in the sun to bake the primer well.

If the trunk lid is good to go after spraying tomorrow, I will start getting the work room cleaned up to prep for paint. I did receive the spray booth filters late last week so I've got everything I need now.

It shouldn't take long to get the quarter panels wet sanded. I've had the car outside to let the sun bake the primer during the day and covering with a tarp at night to keep the dew off.

The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Just finished reading your thread. Actually read it twice taking notes the second time. As many have expressed, thanks for taking the time to document the process.

As I watched the time line I couldn't help but think that if restoration shops worked as fast as you do and with such precision, restorations wouldn't cost 50-100k in labor.

I read that you worked in mostly an office environment (I'm guessing some field work as well) before retirement, but I am wondering if you had ever attended a metal fab/auto body program or are you self taught?

Chris

Old 11-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hadn't checked this thread for a long time, so I just caught up...all I can say is wow! You're doing an excellent job.

If the reproduction rear bumper doesn't work out, I've had excellent luck getting original bumpers replated for several cars at North Star Plating in Brainerd, MN: https://www.northstarplating.com They are affiliated with LKQ, and I *think* you can drop off bumpers at a local LKQ facility so they can take care of shipping back and forth, but you'd have to ask them about that.

By the way, have you posted about your shop over on the Garage Journal forum? I think I've seen pictures of it there.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Just finished reading your thread. Actually read it twice taking notes the second time. As many have expressed, thanks for taking the time to document the process.
As I watched the time line I couldn't help but think that if restoration shops worked as fast as you do and with such precision, restorations wouldn't cost 50-100k in labor.
I read that you worked in mostly an office environment (I'm guessing some field work as well) before retirement, but I am wondering if you had ever attended a metal fab/auto body program or are you self taught?
Chris
Thanks! I consider your questions a very nice compliment.
I am 100% self taught. Nothing with my career after college applied to any of my car hobby skills. It was just the love of cars and enjoyment of working with my hands that led me to develop the skills and I never tire from it. I was a Hydrologist during my career and it is what my degree was in.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I hadn't checked this thread for a long time, so I just caught up...all I can say is wow! You're doing an excellent job.
If the reproduction rear bumper doesn't work out, I've had excellent luck getting original bumpers replated for several cars at North Star Plating in Brainerd, MN: https://www.northstarplating.com They are affiliated with LKQ, and I *think* you can drop off bumpers at a local LKQ facility so they can take care of shipping back and forth, but you'd have to ask them about that.
By the way, have you posted about your shop over on the Garage Journal forum? I think I've seen pictures of it there.
Thanks Stuart! Thanks for the info too. Seems to me someone else mentioned that chrome shop too. It won't be long now until I will be trying out the Ames reproduction one I bought.
Yes, I started that thread on the Garage Journal forum back in 2007 about a full year before beginning the construction on it. Unfortunately my photo links in that thread all got broken when my photo hosting service made changes. That site allows permanent editing though so someday when I have time I'll fix the photo links.
Btw, I never could get a response from Eric on our forum here on whether I could be granted permanent editing to my build thread. It would be handy. He wouldn't respond to my PMs to him.