Old 11-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default console paint stripping

anybody strip the paint on there 66 7 console, lots of ideas on the net like to hear from somebody here before I pull the trigger and ruin my spare. thanks jd grim 66 GTO tri power tremec 5 speed

Old 11-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stripped and repainted the console top for my '66 over the summer. I used CitriStrip to safely remove the old paint and get it down to the bare chrome. I used disposable acid brushes and popsicle stocks to get in the grooves of the ribs. Then carefully masked off what I didn't want new paint on using pinstriping masking tape, and then spray painted it. Like when painting anything, masking is the most time-consuming part, and it plays a big role in determining whether your finished project looks good or bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Citristrip-QC...16841394&psc=1

After using CitriStrip to remove paint. Also used some body filler to fill holes that had been drilled by someone.

The masking process. Put on a podcast and relax. This is going to take a while.

Done.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-28-2021, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd66 View Post
anybody strip the paint on there 66 7 console, lots of ideas on the net like to hear from somebody here before I pull the trigger and ruin my spare. thanks jd grim 66 GTO tri power tremec 5 speed
nice job on the console top, looks better then mine, but what I need to know is what to use on the painted bottom, like to strip it down to the original plastic without losing the detail. thanks jdgrim

Old 11-29-2021, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, for the plastic base? For mine, I just cleaned it with a paint prep solution and then painted over the factory paint. No stripping. Came out great and the textured detail is basically unchanged.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 11-29-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd66 View Post
nice job on the console top, looks better then mine, but what I need to know is what to use on the painted bottom, like to strip it down to the original plastic without losing the detail. thanks jdgrim
Is it 'aftermarket' paint that has been applied to your console base? If so the correct answer may depend on what type of 'paint' - dye, enamel, etc. was used. Have you tried wiping the console base with a rag in an inconspicuous area with lacquer thinner? kerosene? Brake fluid?

If it is original coloring why remove it? Just clean as good as you possibly can - then clean it again - and redye.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

I have stripped and restored around a couple of dozen consoles tops and bases.

For paint removal on a base, I use lacquer thinner on a rag, moisten a small area, about 3" x 3", scrub lightly with a small brass bristle brush. Repeat until paint is removed. SEE NOTES.

Note 1: If it is original paint and has not been repainted, do not soak with lacquer thinner, just get it wet enough to start softening the paint. Also, I have found the original paint to be like a good primer, so I have never stripped 100% of the original paint off the base. I just dampen the area, let sit for a few seconds, then lightly brush. I repeat this process until I have removed the desired amount of paint. I usually leave what would look like a very light "fog" coating on. Also, you will not get all of the paint out of the grain. But just brush in different directions and/or circular motion to get most of the paint out of the grain. You do not need to get all of the paint out of the grain to get an original looking grain pattern after repainting. Trying to remove 100% of the paint will either take you a million hours or you will soften the surrounding area so much that you will end up actually damaging the grain pattern. See pictures below.

Note 2: If the base has been repainted, you can get more aggressive, i.e., get the area wetter to soften the repaint coat. Once you start seeing the original base coat, don't get the area as wet. Don't be afraid to get it wet enough, you just don't want it running down or pooling anywhere. Just start with a very small area, dampen and brush and you will be able to tell after a few tries how wet you want to get the area you are working on.

Note 3: If you are using lacquer thinner or any solvent that would melt styrene plastic, do not soak or get excessive solvent on bare spots on the base or it will start to soften the plastic. Again, dampen your rag, plenty wet but not dripping wet, and wipe the area. After a couple of small sections, you will figure out how wet you want to get the area. Start on the top underneath the top plate as that is hidden and you can't hurt anything there.

Note 4: Change rags frequently because, as you are wetting an area, you will get a buildup of paint on the rag. You don't want to put wet paint on the rag back on the base. It doesn't really hurt anything, it just takes longer that way.

Note 5: This isn't a 1 hour job. It will take a few hours for an original paint removal and half again as much if it has been repainted. If there's more than 2 coats of paint, bring dinner with you. I also completely strip (100%) of the glove box area at the same time. After the base is painted, I mask the base off and reflock the glove box area. When finished, you will have a show quality base.

Attached are a couple of pictures of bases I have done. As you can see, the original grain pattern is clear and crisp as original.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - BLUE  #002.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	578803   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - BLUE  #007.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	578804   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - GREEN  #001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	578806   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - GREEN  #012.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	578807  

Last edited by xgoater; 11-29-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I agree with not really necessary to remove OE paint, the only thing I did with mine was to add a flexative to the paint.
I went from a black base to dark aqua many years ago and she still holding up very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	578833   Click image for larger version

Name:	INTERIOR 7.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	578834  

Old 11-30-2021, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well tried laquor thinner and oven cleaner also no luck, it appears this console bottom has been re sprayed because it has large paint runs on one side thats the reason for stripping, think now I'll get out the JB weld and repair the screw holes out side of that mine looks good, thanks for all the help, jd grim

Old 12-01-2021, 02:27 AM
Senior Chief

JD,

I had a couple of bases like that. One had a real heavy repaint that was seemingly as hard as a rock. If the paint on your base is that thick and that hard that initial lacquer thinner attempt didn't phase it, then you will want to get that area as wet as possible to soften the paint.

Take a small rag, really soak it with lacquer thinner, sopping wet, and lay it on the area of the paint run, and let it sit there for a couple of minutes or so. Then try a safety edge razor blade and shave off the paint on that area. The paint should have softened enough to get an idea how thick and hard the paint is.

Your base sounds like that one I had. I didn't think I would ever get any of the paint off it, but a lot of time and lacquer thinner later I did.

One other alternative you may want to try is a regular paint stripper like Rust-Oleum Automotive Aircraft Remover. Directions say it is fast-acting and strips all types of finishes from metal automotive surfaces. Use to remove acrylic, lacquer, polyurethane and baked enamel.

Terry