THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Senior Chief

Default sideways pictures

Ok been searching thru here looking for a FAQ on how to make pictures turned correctly???? argh.
Is there some secret squirrel handshake or something?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think there is any magic. I don't know for sure but assume it's just the forum software not handling "EXIF" tags in the image files well.

Maybe if you share more details about the steps you use to post images, someone that has a similar process can share their "workaround".

For example...

I view the forum in the Edge browser on a Windows 10 PC. I capture images with a Samsung cell phone or an older digital camera and store them in the cloud on Onedrive.

I upload into PY and preview before posting. If the image isn't rotated correctly in the preview, I remove it, then open the same image on my PC, typically using the "Photos" program. This program ALWAYS handles the EXIF data fine and rotates as needed. I then make a minor edit like changing the size just a little. I then save the same image again...basically overwriting the same file on my PC or in the cloud. This fixes it for me.

Yes, it is a pain and I'd love to hear how to avoid it. I'm sure others have simpler solutions...

Old 11-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loading from an Apple product? While the photo is in the device, click edit and then rotate the photo 1 degree. Save. Done, the photo will no longer be sideways.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

With Windows can rotate with Paint. Also Adobe reader can right click on the photo/page and rotate is an option.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That makes sense, thanks.

I guess if I did that "pro-actively" before I upload it would save me from uploading twice!

Doh!

Editing on a PC is no different. Open it up, rotate or resize, save.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same problem on some forums, including this one.

NEVER have the problem on my own website, and do the pictures the same way.

After spending way too much time (I used to post the picture, see what it looked like, and then would rotate and repost, and sometimes it would then be upside down ), I finally gave up, and just post. If it is sideways, and you want to see it normally, either lie on your side or turn the computer up on its end!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:13 PM

On the Iphone it depends on which way you have phone pointed vertically or horizontal when taking a picture. What I do is just hit edit and then use the crop feature to cut out some of the background. The I will post picture and it will usually post correctly after using the crop feature.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:25 PM

There was a recent discussion on potential fixes here: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=854587

Old 11-30-2021, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you're on a PC, you can simply right click on the photo in file explorer and click rotate right or rotate left. No need to edit the image at all.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Senior Chief

I typically take pic with ANDROID phone....send myself e-mail=all good
then save to computer = still good
upload to albulm = BAD?????

Guess it's just one of those things...

Old 12-01-2021, 12:01 PM

I have no experience with cell phone photos, but on a computer do the pictures look correct? You should be able to rotate them on your PC using whatever program you have on it (Paint, etc.) Open the picture, rotate it as necessary and then save it. Then try uploading them here.

When you take a picture with a phone or a digital camera, the device stores the orientation of how you held it in what's called Exif data. There may be a way to adjust that Exif data on your phone, I know I can do it with my camera.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
I typically take pic with ANDROID phone....send myself e-mail=all good
then save to computer = still good
upload to albulm = BAD?????

Guess it's just one of those things...
Cell phones save the image files with a code to tell up from down.

PCs read the code, display them correctly.

The forum software doesn't read the code so they go sideways.

Rotating a degree or shrinking on a PC changes the code when the file is saved. Up is now up in the new file and all is well.

IMO, the fix needs to happen in the forum upload software.... would be interesting to know why it hasn't.... but I'm happy it works as well as it does and is supported by our sponsor.