Old 10-17-2020, 02:14 AM

Default 67 Lemans body onto 65 GTO chassis

Hi there can someone tell me if the chassis are the same 65-67, I have a 67 Lemans that I'm about to restore and have just found a 65 GTO rolling chassis with reconditioned engine trans diff etc I think the 66-67 bodies are slightly wider and longer but can't find any info on the chassis to see if they are the same any help would be appreciated cheers

Old 10-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Long ago I was told I could have used my 1st 66 GTO's frame for the body of a 65 Lemans. Both were 4 speed cars. My GTO body was totaled, the Leman's frame was totaled. I was told that but didn't get to do it as I was told after I'd sent what was left on my GTO to the junk yard.

The serial numbers are on the left rear top of the frame behind the quarter panel wheel well if you want to keep serial numbers. And don't forget to check the body mounts and change them if needed.

Good luck Tom.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the resto book, 64-67 frames are lumped together & have the same dimensions & data points. Part #s were changed, but Pontiac seemed to do that when nothing had changed with the part. Maybe they had excess paper they had to get rid of....

So I think you are safe.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 AM

The 67 rear spring reduces size at top . 64-66 has a large top spring pocket.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
The 67 rear spring reduces size at top . 64-66 has a large top spring pocket.
This^^^. The '66-'67 rear axle is an inch wider than the '65, but the frames are otherwise dimensionally the same. Since your car is a LeMans, it came with a manual trans or the 2 speed auto, so the trans crossmember mounts should be in the same location as the '65 frame. Go for it. It's a straight bolt-up-and-go deal.