The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Storing old paint

My 70 GTO was painted (verdoro green) 24 years ago. At the time the painter gave me the left over paint, an almost full qrt can and a half full pint can. The paint is PPG DBU. I have had this paint stored in my basement all these years. This past summer I purchased a new hood tach and decided to open the paint to see its condition. A friend of mine who is a retired body man was with me when I opened the pint can. We were shocked to see that the paint still looked good. He mixed up a small batch with reducer and shot a test piece. It matched the car pretty good so he shot the tach with 3 coats, waited awhile and then 3 coats of clear. After hand polishing the tach matched the car almost perfect. Recently I combined both cans which were rusty into a new can. My question is how would you continue to store this paint to extent its life even longer? I thought about putting it in the refrigerator to slow down evaporation. The endura nose has some cracks and I would like to use this paint to shot the entire nose. Also, I have 2 qrt cans of 10 year old DBC in crystal turquoise, so same question.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the main thing is to limit its exposure to air. There's a product called Bloxygen that house painters and woodworkers use, it's a gas that you put in the can before sealing it up. However, it's basically just argon gas, so if you have a welder you could use a little gas from that tank to displace the air in the can before closing it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the activators have a much shorter shelf life than the actual paints do, and this is mainly due to oxidation from access to air. Some activators are listed as 6 months shelf life after opening, while many paints & primers I have seen are 18-24 months after opening.

Having said that, I store all my unused paints & activators in a crawl space where it stays 55-60F most of the year and have had nothing go bad yet. Some of the older primers I had needed a LOT of stirring to get the thick bottom sludge to recombine with the main liquid, but all were OK to spray. I even have some old RM epoxy that is 10 years old which I am still using on brackets and stuff where it isn't critical, and it still does what it should.

Any time I am using a gallon of any product, I buy 4 quart cans and transfer it to them to ensure the cans are as full as possible. Having a quart can almost full has to better than a gallon can that is 3/4 empty and full of air.

This isn't to say it is recommended or "approved", but if you have your paint in a well sealed can that is small enough to minimize airspace, as long as it will stir up OK I would bet that using fresh activator or solvents it will make it usable for some time to come.

EDIT: I should add, that a few of the older products I have used did have some very small particles of binders or solids that if not filtered, would definitely show up in the final product as a nib. I have an older can of satin black single stage that is doing this and I use 2 paints strainers to ensure these particles are filtered out after mixing with reducer and activator.

The main thing is to do a test panel first and be sure the product is still acting the way it should.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 01-04-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have let over lacquer from 1975 …when I painted my 57 Chevy ( Sierra Gold ) …Haven looked at it since then…lol . Don’t ask me why I still have it….the car is long gone. But back to you question…I’d get a new paint can and lid…after you put your paint in…put a layer of plastic ( like one of those grocery bags) over the can…before you smash the lid on. Also make sure you put a little reducer in the paint can and get ALL the pigment out.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Full cans and constant temperature works best in my experience.

Don

Old 01-05-2022, 05:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few weeks ago I painted my glove box door with the same paint I used on dash 25 years earlier ... matched perfectly and sprayed nice. Acrylic Lacquer.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll keep on doing what worked all along. Store the paint cans in the basement where the temperature stays constant.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW .. mine was stored in the original can, in my shop which is much like a basement, it's 3/4 underground and between 55 and 65 year round.