THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who is using Ebay these days.

Its been several years now since I have and its really changed.

Trying to sell some new CC roller lifters 857-16. I priced them lower then all the rest I saw listed. I noticed that the setup wizard is pretty ridged, in that I cannot make any comments. I set up the listing on Saturday and have little to no activity.

Did I list it wrong?
Is the price to high?
Should I have done and auction instead of buy it now?
Everyone going with Comps evolution?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195285275623

Old 08-16-2022, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

Well they are $643 from Summit brand new with free shipping and they have sales often (well $50 off $500 right now)

On ebay you will lose 13% in fees so you net $540 if someone buys them at the opening buy it now price.

For something like this, you are better off just listing it on this forum for $525 obo to a member who needs them

Old 08-16-2022, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you will sell them for 525 i would be a buyer

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget once you go over 600 in sales Ebay will 1099 you as INCOME , so you'll pay tax on items that were already taxed before. Thats new for 2022, thanks to congress.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of folks don't like the new Ebay, because the old Ebay just plain spoiled them.

I use them for buying, as if one is patient, one can legally steal stuff on Ebay. We buy virtually all supplies for the shop (tape, paper, boxes, fittings, shop towels, shop clothing, gloves, etc.) at values well below what we would have to pay otherwise; and I don't have to pack it home, it is delivered to the shop door!

For the above reason, I seldom use Ebay for selling, but occasionally do sell blow-out stuff on Ebay. I consider blow-out stuff that stuff for which I have no interest on my website.

For the record, ANYONE that complains about 13 percent in fees, need to call your local auction company and see what they charge. I don't think you will find any auction company even close to being as cheap as 13 percent. Local here is 30 percent if you take it to their auction house; or 40~50 percent (depends on how much you have for sale) if they hold the auction at your residence.

The 1099 doesn't bother me, as I invoice all Ebay sales the same as any other sale.

ALL personal sales of merchandise (swap meets, garage sales, etc.) are supposed to be reported, although my accountant tells me that few do report it.

My biggest reason for not selling on Ebay is that so many of the prospective buyers are like me, looking for a steal.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow 13% I didn't know it was that much.

Maybe I will just cancel and keep them or try and sell here. Not sure yet. Not ready to just give them away.
They were a partial warranty replacement for the early CC lifters but I did have to pay out for a portion of the cost. I went with Johnson lifters so don't need these.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More than 13%, more like 17%

Old 08-16-2022, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i would feel way more comfortable buying these here on the forum from someone whose username i recognize (like yours) than on ebay.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

another good discussion on this subject is HERE

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy off of ebay at least once a week. Sell? Not so much. I just found that after they get their fees, commisions, and other little charges, I was feeling a little hoodwinked.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ebays cut is going to be a little more than 13 percent. They are sneaky about it, and you woln't know how much they are taking until you get your pay-out. Their "cut" varies some and I'm not sure why. I averaged my pay-outs agains the listing price recently and they are taking just a tad over 15 percent......FWIW.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-17-2022, 08:14 AM
Senior Chief

I used to buy and sell a lot of car parts on ebay back in its early days. It was great then. I havent darkened their doorstep but once in the last two years.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-17-2022, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I look at Ebay but haven't transacted any business since 2007. My wife bid on a toy for my son just before her father passed away. We were out of town for the funeral with no internet access for over a week. She won the bid, but didn't respond because we didn't have internet access. The seller went nuts over getting no response. I had nastygrams, even phone calls, etc from the seller over a $10 toy. It was almost impossible to find a way to talk to anyone at Ebay to discuss the bad feedback. I finally got it removed, but I said it was the last time I would deal with Ebay. I changed my password and told my wife to set up her own account. I never bid on anything after that and my wife never set up her own account.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

I don’t sell on eBay but average about 3 purchases a month. About 90% car stuff, a lot of things I thought I would never find. Been on over 20 years but haven’t sold anything in probably 15 years. Still seems like a good place to buy from, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ebay good to buy bad to sell.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Don't forget once you go over 600 in sales Ebay will 1099 you as INCOME , so you'll pay tax on items that were already taxed before. Thats new for 2022, thanks to congress.
he wont pay taxes on $600 as income, when he can show he paid X dollars for them when purchased, the only amount taxed is if he makes a PROFIT on them.

i use ebay today & for the last 20+ years, the new 1099 thing is ridiculous but it still follows standard rules for actual profits made of items sold.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have been selling on ebay for 20+ years, i agree its not what it used to be & i have reduced my sales there a lot the last few years, but it does have advantages still like world wide exposure & possibility of bidding wars getting you more than you listed the item for, sometimes a LOT more.

the fees are pretty straight forward, they are now 12.9% for auto parts, some categories are a little more some are less, the only "hidden" part of the fee is that they charge the fees on everything, including the sales tax they charge, so when you figure the final amount it seems higher because they charged the fee on the tax & shipping... its still 12.9% but of the full amount not just sale price of the item, its not 15 or 17%. the fee structure is explained pretty clearly. while i dont agree with it, it is not that bad compared to other local auction houses or consignment services.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...docId=HELP1456

the $600 1099 thing is stupid too but if you are accounting for cost of goods vs sale prices, youre only paying tax on the actual profits, which technically you should be doing anyways... i called the IRS a few years ago to ask some questions on what qualifies as reportable income, they said even if you mow lawns or do odd jobs youre supposed to report that income. guess i evaded taxes a lot as a kid!

as for how the comp lifters listing is on ebay, i agree with one of the other comments, you have to price things right & just like most stuff, once its used, even if still new, you never get near full price, theres no warranty or guarantee like whats offered buying from the company like summit. with them being $43 more to buy new & free shipping, $600 is not worth taking that risk. auctions usually do much better than a buy it now, but you have to offer some kind of savings on the price over buying new from a large company because as mentioned, people are looking for bargains.

Last edited by 78w72; 08-17-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy a fair amount of stuff on ebay.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The taxing thingy is NOT new!

When we vended at swap meets in the 1970's and 1980's, we (by various state laws) acquired "transient vendor" licenses for each of the states for which we vended (PA was by far the worst from a hassle standpoint, but WI tried to equal PA as time went on). WI's laws finally forced us to either break their laws or quit selling in WI. Iola was our second-best meet behind Hershey, but not profitable enough to comply, so we have up our spaces, and quit going. We did charge state sales tax at these swap meets. And of course paid federal tax at the end of the year.

The federal tax code is MUCH EASIER to understand than that of the states!

To understand the federal tax code, and how it applies to income, acquire a clean piece of paper and a pencil (a pen will do). At the upper left corner of the paper, write the word "the".

On the same line as the word "the" write the initials of the most powerful government entity on earth.

You now have the explanation of the federal tax code

If you missed the question, the correct answer is "theIRS"

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to buy from there but they changed something with the shipping to Canada.

Before if i ordered anything the shipper would send it direct to my door. Now ebay sends it to some sorting facility of their own in the southern states and it takes like a month to get here....terrible

I sold the old man's hot rods on there when he passed - mostly for the exposure - I never had so many crazy old koots and flakes call me in my life...sad times