THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mint mobile?

Anyone here using Mint mobile?

My Verizon bills went up again. Phone and internet. I don’t use my phone much at all so data is not an issue. Mint advertises $15./month. Unlimited talk & text on t mobile’s network. Haven’t decided on the internet yet.

So, what’s everyone using?

Old 08-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have Mint, but I am on T Mobile. With 5G coverage, Internet access is amazingly fast for me, but of course it depends on location and whether T Mobile is prevalent in your area.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

T Mobile for me too. $25/M for the each family member (Military Plan) with unlimited data and free overseas calling. (wife and kids travel a lot). Areas that have poor reception are usually covered by the wife's work phone (ATT).

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 08-28-2022, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

Xfinity mobile, $30 a month, 3 GB data shared on 3 lines using Verizon towers. Had T-Mobile for 2 weeks, it was 1985 again, coverage was terrible in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2022, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Total Wireless is reasonable & uses Verizon's network - better coverage than TMobile.

We've been using them for almost a year and have no complaints.

We were with TMobile previously and were NOT happy with their coverage and even less happy with their Customer NO Service. It was OK when John Legere was running it as a separate entity, but went downhill fast after the merger with Sprint. Too much time without service (outages) and poor coverage except in metropolitan areas.

Total Wireless uses Verizon's networks, so they've got great coverage.

Customer service call center is off-shore (Phillipines) but at least they speak and understand English and they bend over backwards to help you with any issues.

$25 per month unlimited talk and text with 1GB data
or
$35 per month unlimited talk and text with 10GB data

Both are prepaid plans. If you set-up autopay, there is a slight discount.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve noticed that most deals are for multiple lines. I only need one. I will look at total wireless. Not really sure how t mobiles coverage here is but I am very near to Boston so I figure this area should have good coverage.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Switched from T-mobile to Mint about 3 months ago. $15. per month if you pay for 12 months advance. Not a problem for me and only have to debit my account or credit card once a year. So far I have better coverage than I did with T-mobile but that may just be my area. Anyway, very satisfied so far.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mint here with no problems for almost a year, $180 as mentioned. They were very helpful in the process of keeping my original number which was important. I also am the only one on the plan and use next to no data. Traveling around there hasn't been a episode where I didn't have reception. Easy to contact and always helpful.

Frank

Old 08-29-2022, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your cell usage is in an area serviced well by TMobile, Mint is probably a good deal for you.

I was a manager in the wireless industry from the early 90's until 2008. TMobile is what we referred to as a "spider web" network. In major metropolitan areas and along most Interstate highways, they do fairly well.

However, I live in flyover country (MN) and TMobile is the worst of the 3 major networks for travel in the rural areas, despite their ad claims of "nationwide coverage". Where I live, work and play - TMobile is not a viable option.

AT&T is somewhat better than TMobile in that regard. I remember when I worked with my ACDelco rep (whose company phone was on AT&T) and he wanted to make a call, I frequently had to give him my phone as his AT&T phone didn't have service in my territory (southern MN and northern IA).

For me, the only virtual mobile network provider I would consider is one that would utilize Verizon's network. I still have Verizon service myself (3 lines) but am considering moving to Spectrum or Visible at this time. I want a phone that works at the places I frequent - and AT&T and TMobile don't (example - we are dirt track racing fans and Verizon is the only carrier that works at our two nearest dirt tracks). We enjoy using the "My Race Pass" app to get the heat and feature lineups while at the track.

Anyone that claims their cell service carrier (any cell provider) works "everywhere" is lying. I am very much aware of areas that my Verizon service will not work because of no towers close enough to support their service and Verizon covers more total area than AT&T and TMobile.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
If your cell usage is in an area serviced well by TMobile, Mint is probably a good deal for you.

I was a manager in the wireless industry from the early 90's until 2008. TMobile is what we referred to as a "spider web" network. In major metropolitan areas and along most Interstate highways, they do fairly well.

However, I live in flyover country (MN) and TMobile is the worst of the 3 major networks for travel in the rural areas, despite their ad claims of "nationwide coverage". Where I live, work and play - TMobile is not a viable option.

AT&T is somewhat better than TMobile in that regard. I remember when I worked with my ACDelco rep (whose company phone was on AT&T) and he wanted to make a call, I frequently had to give him my phone as his AT&T phone didn't have service in my territory (southern MN and northern IA).

For me, the only virtual mobile network provider I would consider is one that would utilize Verizon's network. I still have Verizon service myself (3 lines) but am considering moving to Spectrum or Visible at this time. I want a phone that works at the places I frequent - and AT&T and TMobile don't (example - we are dirt track racing fans and Verizon is the only carrier that works at our two nearest dirt tracks). We enjoy using the "My Race Pass" app to get the heat and feature lineups while at the track.

Anyone that claims their cell service carrier (any cell provider) works "everywhere" is lying. I am very much aware of areas that my Verizon service will not work because of no towers close enough to support their service and Verizon covers more total area than AT&T and TMobile.
That fits with my experience. We have Verizon and have had numerous instances over the years when we had service and people with competing carriers had to borrow our phones to make a call. Since we live in a rural area and travel around a lot, reliable coverage is the #1 requirement.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-29-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
A few weeks ago I was visiting back in my home town, a little south of Rochester. In past years I had terrible cell coverage but this time around my T Mobile worked pretty well - not quite as good as it is in Minneapolis, but it was acceptable. So, they have made improvements, at least in that one specific location.

This isn't useful information for the OP, but I guess it does help point out that you need to research what network is best for where you live.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My current home is in a valley and shielded from the towers on the upper edge of the valley. The only way we have cell service is with a Wi Fi network on, and around my house. So we have a land line because of the necessity to send and receive calls consistently. If you stand near the road by my mailbox, you can usually get good enough of a signal to make a complete call, but that is the only place a cell phone will work consistently on my 4 acres.

We used to have AT&T, but the rate increases were killing us, so about 2 years ago we switched everything to Spectrum, we've had good luck with Spectrum, and saved money with the bundle over AT&T. I had AT&T for over 20 years, but their rates were just crazy, and kept rising.

As far as coverage down in our valley, no ones phone works down here, because of the topography. You're lucky to get one bar, then it fluctuates during calls, and the call may drop.

I do remember that AT&T didn't work well at Norwalk either, Spectrum seems to work fine up there. Agree that any company that claims to have in the 90% plus coverage, no matter where you are, is lying to you.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-29-2022, 11:51 AM

Just switched to Mint from Xfinity because of cost. With xfinity the wife and I were sharing 1gb it was supposed to 25 each per phone. Well the bill would come out to be about 75 a month with all kind of hidden fees. So far Mint has been great and it is 4gb per line. Like others have mentioned paying for the full year will get you the 15 month price. You can get a trial period of three months for 15 a month on Mint to see if it works for you.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the input. Think I’ll try Mint for three months and see how it works out. I’m sure Verizon will try to lure me back with some new deal….

Old 08-29-2022, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
A few weeks ago I was visiting back in my home town, a little south of Rochester. In past years I had terrible cell coverage but this time around my T Mobile worked pretty well - not quite as good as it is in Minneapolis, but it was acceptable. So, they have made improvements, at least in that one specific location.

This isn't useful information for the OP, but I guess it does help point out that you need to research what network is best for where you live.
My company temporarily switched to TMobile (they are based out of Chicago), but we quickly learned that TMobile didn't work in many of the rural areas in SE MN or Western WI. It didn't work at all in Grand Meadow or Ostrander, but I did have very weak service in Spring Valley. Going from Rochester to Eau Claire, WI - TMobile didn't work over 50% of the time.

After learning the serious limitations to coverage with TMobile, we were able to get the company to switch back to Verizon.

Data wise, if you tried using your data down in SE MN you should have noticed that you only had 4G service

As to your last comment, you must have missed the first sentence of my post:

"If your cell usage is in an area serviced well by TMobile, Mint is probably a good deal for you."

This was addressed specifically to the OP. He doesn't use data, so 5G coverage is meaningless - even though TMobile's claim of nationwide 5G coverage is bogus.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default They're ALL crooks and always have been.

Years ago I had Sprint, and the phone hardly ever worked. When I complained, the rep told me: "We never promised that your calls would go through; We only promised to connect you to the network." And they continued to bill me LONG after that. It went to collections; and I had to pay them.

I had "Cellular One", Remember them? Back when you used to pay by the minute; They kept disconnecting me. I'd have to pay a fee, and my bill, to get turned back on. A few days later they'd shut me off again. The were sold to" Cingular".
One day i get a check for $350 from Cingular. I called and asked why. The rep replied " That's what we overcharged you when we were Cellular one."

Remember when "Free nights and weekends" started at 8PM? Then Surprise-They switched that to 9PM, and got us all for an hour that we'd thought was free.

I've had "Metro" and it had been FANTASTIC for 5 years...until about a month ago, and now it totally sucks. no signal anywhere.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:21 PM

We have Visible service. Two lines @ $25/00/mo. per line. So far,so good.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

I have been using AT&T for about 4 years now and no complaints. I bounce back and forth between Nevada and New Hampshire, sometimes driving and sometimes flying. Phone works equally well no matter where I am.

My previous phone was on Verizon, I really loved that service simply because it was a company phone and I never saw a bill for it ever. Even 4 1/2 months after the company folded, it was still working. Then one day I went to make a call and it was finally disconnected. I cried a river, lol

That’s when my wife said “For $15/month I can put you on the AT&T family plan”. Been on it ever since. My only gripe is that when I call a land line with caller ID, it shows that Theresa is calling, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-30-2022, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have T-Mobile and it absolutely sucks. In NH its practically worthless, often with no signal or if I'm lucky I get 1 bar. At my house it bounces around from 2-4 bars. The closer I get to Boston the better it works.

I had Verizon, and the signal was much better but they were damn expensive. Now T-Mobile is getting expensive and their service sucks.

Ya just can't win.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-30-2022, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I had Verizon, and the signal was much better but they were damn expensive. Now T-Mobile is getting expensive and their service sucks.
Drop TMobile and go with Spectrum, Visible, Xfinity or one of the other virtual mobile networks that utilize Verizon's towers.

Problem solved.