THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
"Happy Days" was the first TV program I recall dedicated to reliving a particular era.
True, but I think American Grafitti really started a nostalgia trend. Prior to that there were no oldies stations in Detroit, oldies records were scarce and usually only available on variety albums that sounded like crap. After American Grafitti, Detroit had "Honey Radio" on the AM dial broadcasting oldies during the day. Harmony House had a whole area devoted to 45 RPM oldies.

I'm 70 and my parents had no interest in old stuff. In 1973 I bought a '68 GTO from a guy at work as a toy for me, and Dad didn't see my attraction to the car. He was a GM engineer and he always had a toy when I was growing up, but they were newer cars that my Mom drove and he modified. He would take me cruising on Woodward in Mom's car or to test whatever he brought home from work, then when I got my license, I took him out to cruise Woodward.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I think Boomers invented nostalgia.

"Happy Days" was the first TV program I recall dedicated to reliving a particular era.

K
They weren't intended to be nostalgic as such, but half the shows on TV in the 1950s and 1960s were Westerns, all dedicated to the Wild West. There were also shows like The Untouchables, which was about catching gangsters in the 1930s

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What a great idea...pillows

Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Am I the only member reading that had no idea the year range for Generation X??? (and had no need to know).

From Google:

Boomer - 1946 - 1954
Late Boomer - 1955 - 1964
Gen X - 1965 - 1980
Millennial - 1981 -1997
Gen Z - 1997 - 2012

I just barely made the above chart.

Before actually looking up the chart, I grouped the X, Mils, and Z's as youngsters!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 09-21-2022 at 02:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Am I the only member reading that had no idea the year range for Generation X???
maybe.

I know what it is, because when I first heard about it, I looked into it (pre-internet);
I used to firmly be planted into this group, till more and more generation groups came out - and thoroughly muddied things up.

For a while the term "generation x" (there are different names for it too) seemed to be late 1960's through to early 1990's...

According to some web sources (because I had to look up millennial a while back), I am a millennial - but that's only some sources.

I definitely agree that my generation (sometimes referred to as "the latch key generation") is more nostalgic than the one preceding, or after it.

Just look at Tonka, Transformers, He-Man, Lego, NES, SNES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a myriad of of other things that were new/current when I was growing up.

I'm not only nostalgic, but as my wife puts it, a bit of a hoarder, so the temptation is strong... on so many levels.

I recently learned of some Fisher Price "Little People" sets (airport, Sesame Street, the town, and the a-frame cabin) - and I quite literally had to make myself step back, and resist the temptation to buy at least some of them...
(It doesn't help that my kids are also at prime age to play with those sets!)

Nostalgia, oh yeah - I got that in spades.

I think my generations bit of nostalgia could stem from a couple things;
1) we were marketed to death - and most of us never had so many of the toys we wanted growing up
2) we are now at an age where we can have this cool stuff from our past.
3) everyone gets caught in a time zone; be it music, dress style, or what ever - it seems that every generation has items that define their comfort zone.

I will admit, that getting out a NES cart, blowing on it (to make it work), plugging it in, and playing with it just like I did as a kid has something tactile and satisfying that is often hard to beat (even the "retro NES" setups have lag from the game emulation) - now if I could just get Duck Hunt to work with my current tv!!
LOL

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-21-2022, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok unruhjohnny...you win!

Old 09-21-2022, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wait, there was a competition!?

LOL

I've enjoyed your posts in this thread;
I've always wondered if your user name had anything to do with the Melvins.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well if it was you should win...if I started buying all my toys back the wife would bury me in the backyard...my T/A is bad enough lol

Definitely a Melvins fan...almost got to see them again in Madison WI but junior isn't 21 yet and they were playing at the bar

Old 09-21-2022, 05:54 PM

I think hair bands get a bad rap for just being glitz and glam. The hair bands of the 80's were about having a good time and hanging out. If I am hanging out with friends I do not want to sit around and listen to Nirvana, not saying they are not a good band but can get a bit depressing. Alice in Chains man in the box does not necessarily put you in a partying mood either.
Then lets mention all the good guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini just to name a few that came out of hair band era. I also miss the good old days of waiting in line for concert tickets, that in itself was a party for a few days. It was first come first serve and for the low low price of 20.00 a ticket. There is no way I am going to be paying a 100 to watch some guy who does not even remember the lyrics to his own songs like Vince Neal or replace the original members like KISS has. KISS is my favorite band but they need to hang it up. I recently just bought a UK KISS Alive II red vinyl record(s) from a garage sale. If I want to feel like I am at a concert I just throw that on, regular vinyl not the red ones and it seems like I am there. I am always on the lookout for new music, I have been into five finger death punch recently, Welcome to the circus is good gritty song, not to much growl. Disturbed, Shinedown, Adelites Way and three days grace are all good bands intertwined with older hair bands on the playlist.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Well if it was you should win...if I started buying all my toys back the wife would bury me in the backyard...my T/A is bad enough lol
Well I was a bachelor for a long time, so my wife married me when I already had a bunch of old toys...

And even though it's nostalgic, seeing their faces light up when you bring home "retro" toys is pretty cool!

(they don't know or care that it's old - it's just fun for them!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fisher price little people castle Sept 18 2018 02.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	599165  

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not agreeing with that “late boomer” crap. That’s an even narrower generation of lost-generational-ism. That’s me. Too young or too old for anything, well into my adulthood it seemed. Not complaining. But it sure was interesting to find one day that I wasn’t the only one dealing with the ramifications of being born in a weird little time frame.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:41 AM

Vivus in praeteritum - (Living in the past)

Late boomer – and I live in nostalgia… Having 50 year old cars is just the tip of the iceberg.

I constantly pine for and reflect back on the times of my youth, not just for the objects of my youth but for the societal norms as I remember them…
Sure, loud cars and rock and roll music, but we all spoke English, went to work and had respect for each other, or at least the pretense of such….

Old 09-22-2022, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's amazing unruhjonny...my mom threw everything i ever had away everytime we moved...

The only thing I have left is an estes rocket kit and my second computer - Timex Sinclair...sigh

Old 09-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree TA6...mid to late 80's rock is so disrespected just based on fashion

That's why I'm a fan of everything - it was the style at the time lol

I used to go to every show in my town - even at my advanced age. RATM is coming here at over 200$ - that's way too much even tho I never seen them.

Time to retire I guess...same goes for Motely and Kiss - I feel bad for the Great Whites or the Ratts who have no 401k tho

Old 09-22-2022, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
That's amazing unruhjonny...my mom threw everything i ever had away everytime we moved...
I get it;
Our stuff "went missing" on many occasions, including my mom tossing some of my comic collection in the fireplace (let me tell you, as a grade schooler, that sticks with you!).

I'm one of those people though who cannot have or own something (pegboard of sealed hotwheels and very few other exceptions aside), and not use it.

As an example:
https://youtu.be/1oao3_q5QdY
I never ever thought I'd own this (single in the video) - for a couple years I would regularly put in bids below the average going price, to promptly be outbid - just to get in on the action, and say I bid on this;
I also own the other "holy grail" single (cd; retail version) of theirs and have played it many times...
What's the point in owning something if you can't use it - this absolutely goes for old toys - and is also why I never pay top dollar for vintage toys.
If I buy a vintage toy, the first thing that happens is my kids get to play with it...

Old 09-22-2022, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think my mom threw out Superman #1 the first time we moved...lol not lol

I agree, toys are meant to be played with - especially pontipigs - don't care how rare - YOLO

Wow, that rare vinyl market is crazy - must be a millennial ting....the digital version came out years ago lol

Old 09-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that piece of vinyl has been expensive since the early 1990's.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:10 PM

I like your Lab 400 too. Bought one myself 2 years ago. I still had about 20 albums/singles from high school but nothing to play them on. Now i've got a complete vintage system, 3 turntables, and a few hundred albums LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to chevymad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m in this pretty deep. I love old stuff.

My daughters cheer team was doing a photo shoot one day (because you know…. The ‘gram!) and they wanted some props for an 80’s shoot. I did not disappoint!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CC22DE1-C747-4061-861F-B92E66233FA0.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	599207  

Old 09-23-2022, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

awe man, an 80's shoot needs an Iroc, or at least a "Knight Rider" (3rd gen) Trans Am!!!

lol

My one uncle (the youngest one; ten years my senior) started with a hand-me-down Chevette, and HATED it;
From there his dad bought him a v6 Berlinetta (Camaro), then he got a GTA...
Even before I really got into cars I LOVED that car...
I would sit at my grandparents living room window, and just look at that cool car.