Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was slow going up when I got it. I noticed moisture on one of the cyclinders. It was leaking and dripping down under the back seat. I did a repair on the cylinder and topped off the fluid, now it's working well.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what kind of repair did you do on cylinder? mine are leaking from top where rod goes in and out. I haven't really looked at it too close

Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is an o-ring in the top of the cylinder that gets dried out or tears and causes the leak. It was kind of a pain to do with it in the car but I got it done with plenty of sweating and cursing. There is a metal spring clip on the top of the cylinder that you remove with a pair of snap ring pliers. Under the clip there was a washer or two that you remove. Then use an o-ring pick to pull out the ring. If the ring is not broken already, unbolt the top of the cylinder rod where it connects to the top frame and carefully slide the ring over the top of the rod. It might break while doing that. Take the ring to a parts store or hardware store and match it up to find the right size. Make sure your cylinder rods are not pitted or rough, otherwise the new ring will fail too. If that's the case i would just replace the cylinders, which are available but are not cheap. Just reverse the proceedure to reinstall. It was pretty tough to get the snap ring back it. I had to hold down one edge with a small screw driver while pushing down with the pliers. If you take the cylinders out I'm sure the whole process would be much easier. Once you're done, go thru the fluid fill and air bleeding proceedure.

There was a post I found that described the process, if you do a search.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks Shineybike

Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked up a 68 GTO parts car. Will probably harvest the rear diff (supposed to be a 3.23 peg leg) and swap that in. Came with a PX code '68 TH400 and a 400 short block, but not sure block will pass the magnaflux. It's a hideaway car, so I now have two complete hideaway sets. I think one will end up going on the convt.

All the brake stuff has arrrived so I should be able to get it all put together tomorrow.

Got a real nice '68 jack assembly from a PY member. Will blast and paint the tire tool, stand, and jack; should look as good as new.

Scott

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Traded one hideway set towards a built 428 4 bolt motor with Butler ported 96 heads, so I'll be selling the Trans Am W72 short block.

GTO had a 2.93 peg leg rear, so I'm trying to find a 3.42 or 3.55 gears and a 2 or 4 pinion posi unit. I have some forged axles from a 70 nodular rear in the garage that I think I can use.

Local guy is going to do some body & paint at his house. Just want to get the front fender, bumper, and rear fender beat and pulled out a bit.

Need to find a decent 68-70 GTO hood for the car. If not, I have a nice Ram Air hood that I can put on it, but don't plan to add Ram Air so this would be better off on an original RA car. The Lemans hood is kinked, so don't want to spend any time and effort on it when I'm just going to go with a GTO hood

Brakes are just about done. Just need to finish passenger front and bleed them.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the 69/70 Ram Air hood is sold, so I'll get a repop GTO hood for the Lemans.

I picked up a GP crossmember today in Talladega from a PY member, so I can cross that off the list.

Scott

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumpers and front valance have been removed and car was taken to a buddy's house for some bodywork. Will stay with the factory color and Lemans bumpers and trim, but with a repro GTO hood.

428 that I got had a cracked head and knurled pistons so I got a refund. Then picked up a '70 455, standard bore, with 6X heads, Performer intake, etc. Needs to be freshened up, but hope it's a solid builder.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although your experience turned out better than mine Scott, you should really go public with the board member who sent you that garbage motor. He knows exactly what he's doing.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty nice car!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

455 passed the magnaflux test at the machine shop. Have some forged BRC pistons on the way from Tom S and some RPM rods on the way from another PY member (Michael with the 455 powered Buick wagon).

Local body guy has made some progress on the two areas on the car that were tweaked and he is working on a few other issues as well.

Ordered a reproduction GTO hood from PY; it's on the way. Plan is to keep it as a Lemans at this point, but I'm gathering bits for when I do the GTO clone. Right now I'm looking for taillight sockets and one original taillight (driver, I think).

Hope to be driving it soon.

Scott

Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tail light lens

I can help you out with the tail light lens. I needed pass. side and bought a real nice pair from a fellow PYer. I paid $200 plus shipping. If you can't find one (I looked far and wide) I can sell you the one you need for $100.
What you might want to do is spend the money towards GTO lenses and buckets. I thought I might have to go that route until I found these. Since you are leaning towards a clone might be the best move?
I'm biased but I'd keep it a LeMans but with the 455 and GTO hood.
Dave

Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
I can help you out with the tail light lens. I needed pass. side and bought a real nice pair from a fellow PYer. I paid $200 plus shipping. If you can't find one (I looked far and wide) I can sell you the one you need for $100.
What you might want to do is spend the money towards GTO lenses and buckets. I thought I might have to go that route until I found these. Since you are leaning towards a clone might be the best move?
I'm biased but I'd keep it a LeMans but with the 455 and GTO hood.
Dave
Dave -

Should have been more specific in my post below, but I am looking for GTO lenses and sockets. The Lemans lenses and sockets on the car are in good shape.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TH400 driveshaft has new u joints and has been balanced. Need to paint it and then it's ready. GTO swaybar has been cleaned and painted. Machine shop is working on the block.

Some bodywork progress pics below. Plan is to just to spray Mayfair Maize over the primer to get it looking presentable.

Top and interior are next, I think.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next step is to figure out starting problem - only turns over/starts when the battery booster is hooked up and set on 200 amps. Battery has been load tested and is good. Will swap out the cables and then eyeball the starter.

Also need to figure out what I'm going to do with paint and bodywork. The guy who did the bodywork was going to spray some Mayfair Maize over the bodywork, but he said that wasn't the agreement, so it's up to me, I think.

Bought a DeVilbiss gun (the $220 one that has 3 tips for spraying color, primer, clear). My options:

1. Shoot single stage MM over the bodywork, that's it.

2. Scuff and shoot the entire car in MM (single stage), but don't spend any time doing any additional bodywork.

3. Scuff and shoot the entire car in MM (single stage), but get it nice and straight first.

4. Scuff and shoot the entire car in Meridian Turquoise (single stage paint), getting it nice and straight first.

5. Strip it down to bare metal, prime and shoot MT in base/clear.

Scott

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked up a clean and freshly gone through 68 GTO 3.90 nodular rear this weekend from PY member Ken/goats2quick.

3.55 would have been better, but I plan to leave the 3.90 in for now.

Scott

Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still making steady progress.

I welded up the holes in the rear quarters for the Lemans emblems.

I picked up a very nice and complete hideaway setup (better than the one that I had).

Found what I believe to be a correct TH400 floor shifter (not his/hers, just the 69 and later style).

Also sourced a factory rear sway bar and boxed lower control arms.

This weekend I plan to remove the stock rear and install the 3.90 nodular rear with freshly blasted and painted parts.

Scott

Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM

I have one nice GTO taillight and a housing, although the housing does need a little repair around where one of the bulb goes. Otherwise pretty good shape. Im not sure which side it is though since I didnt see a "L" or "R"

Nice progress so far! Makes me want to tear into my LeMans!

1979 Pontiac Firebird-400/3 speed...The Nice Weather Driver
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much was the hood Scott?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
How much was the hood Scott?
With shipping it was $665. Ouch! They got me good on shipping because it went to a residential address.

Scott