Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Eagle rotating assemble should work! Although i like aluminum rods.

GTO George

Old 01-03-2022, 12:30 AM
Boost Engineer

It appears that Eagle does not even offer a rod for the HP he is assuming.

From the Eagle website:

"Eagle offers several different types of connecting rods for many different applications. Our "SIR" forged 5140 steel I-Beam rod is intended to be a good alternative to reconditioning O.E. rods. In many cases, Eagle "SIR" rods are a little stronger than O.E. rods depending on which O.E. you compare them to. Not intended for competition use, "we generally recommend them for use up to about 500hp in a small block and 700hp in a big block."

Eagle "FSI" forged 4340 steel I-Beam rods are a performance-oriented I-Beam rod. 7/16" ARP 8740 bolts are used in every application. Costs are kept low by using the rod "as-forged" on non-critical surfaces. That, coupled with the easy-to-manufacture I-Beam design makes the "FSI" rod an excellent choice for naturally-aspirated competition engines. Upgrade to ARP 2000 bolts for high rpm capabilities. " "FSI" rods are recommended for use up to 750hp." UP TO 750 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eagle's 3rd generation design (3D) H-Beam rods are the measure by which all other connecting rods on the market are measured. Eagle utilizes large-scale manufacturing to keep costs low, but only uses ASME-certified 4340 steel, ARP bolts, and silicon-bronze bushings. Eagle H-Beam rods are the preferred choice for high horsepower, high RPM competition engines utilizing nitrous, forced induction, or exotic fuels. The rod itself is recommended for use up to about 1500 hp. The ARP bolts required to handle that are ARP's L19 bolts. 1500hp is a lot more than a lot of people need, so Eagle H-Beam rods are also offered with much less expensive ARP 8740 bolts or ARP 2000 bolts. Eagle H-Beam rods with 7/16" ARP 8740 bolts are recommended for use up to 800hp. With 7/16" ARP 2000 bolts, 1300hp (V8), with L19 bolts, 1500hp. Eagle's H-Beam rods for most sport compact applications feature 3/8" ARP 2000 bolts. These are recommended for use up to 900hp (4 cyl) and 1500hp (6 cyl) in turbocharged applications. For even more power-handling capabilities, see out Extreme Duty connecting rods for sport-compact applications.

Eagle Extreme Duty (XD) rods feature the same time-tested 3rd generation design, but further surface polishing improves fatigue life by removing microscpic pits and inclusions where fatigue cracks begin. In addition, ARP's premium fastener material, Custom Age 625+, is used. ARP Custom Age 625+ material oasts a typical tensile strength of 245,000 psi vs. ARP 2000's 220,000 psi. It comes with a hefty price tag, though. The rods are not for the faint of heart. Power ratings have not been established for these rods. Honestly, we just haven't had any fail yet. They are not indestructible, though. We feel the power capabiities to be somewhere in the 1200 hp range for 4 cyl. applications and 1800hp for 6 cylinder applications. Why don't we make them for V8's?

Looks to me like they do not recommend the rods for any V-8 engine above 750 HP.
Before you go down that path I would talk to the Eagle People vs go by a Pontiac Post on the board.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:20 AM
Suspended

Call Jeff at KRE………!
Nuff said!

GTO George

Last edited by GTOGEORGE; 01-03-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:42 AM
Boost Engineer

"Got a 70 455 stroke to 496 eagle forged Bottom assembly balanced, Milondon 4bolt caps , Kauffman high ports 80cc ,solid roller on a 68 firebird.

Got twins gt45s turbos, question is would the motor stay together to 1200hp??

Th400 w/3.25 9in "

Post #1 of this thread.

I see that the engine is already a KRE Engine.
So WHY is the OP asking NOW if the engine will survive
since it was built by KRE.

Think he is already having doubts if the OP started the thread.
Maybe a KRE Guarantee that the engine would survive.......................................NOT
Done with this one.

TV

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
"Got a 70 455 stroke to 496 eagle forged Bottom assembly balanced, Milondon 4bolt caps , Kauffman high ports 80cc ,solid roller on a 68 firebird.

Got twins gt45s turbos, question is would the motor stay together to 1200hp??

Th400 w/3.25 9in "

Post #1 of this thread.

I see that the engine is already a KRE Engine.
So WHY is the OP asking NOW if the engine will survive
since it was built by KRE.

Think he is already having doubts if the OP started the thread.
Maybe a KRE Guarantee that the engine would survive.......................................NOT
Done with this one.

TV
Glad you’re done………….lol!
I really don’t see where he said KRE built the engine or he just got the heads from KRE! Just saying! Maybe he could chime in and supply us with more info.
I’m not a big Chinese rotating assembly guy but lots of racers have made good lasting power with it.
When I was running 9 teens a had eagle rods and a cast crank, if I recall correctly.

GTO George

Old 01-04-2022, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

I dont have anything against KRE, but I also dont think they can walk on water...

There are numerous shops that can handle the job that the OP is asking about...It shouldnt be turned into who can charge the most for the job either...

Too many people will take the fun right out of their project by getting in way over their head with high cost engine builders...

Old 01-04-2022, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
I dont have anything against KRE, but I also dont think they can walk on water...

There are numerous shops that can handle the job that the OP is asking about...It shouldnt be turned into who can charge the most for the job either...

Too many people will take the fun right out of their project by getting in way over their head with high cost engine builders...
KRE like Butler and DCI have built PA engine, hell any reputable place that has PA experience would work! I always ask experience people for their opinions and do a lot of other research then I make my own decisions and so far it’s worked pretty good.

GTO George