Old 04-26-2022, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best Source for OE type AC parts

Any opinions of the best source for quality OE type replacement parts for AC systems? Trying to avoid poorly rebuilt, off-shore, or parts store type stuff ... I don't want to do this job twice.

So far Old Air seems a good choice, but I've never purchases any AC parts for any vehicle ever so I don't know.

Thanks,

Old 04-26-2022, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original Air Group (division of Classic Auto Air) in Tampa gets a lot of business from serious restorers on early to mid '60's & '67- early 80's GM products. Many ship parts to them for restoration of POA valves & evap cores/ fiberglass AC boxes. Fortunately, I've been buying up nos AC small parts for decades for own projects & have a good supply of boxes/leak free nice evap cores & fairly clean used condensers, inside boxes, controls.. Its hoses & restored POA valves that are next on the spend $$$ list.

With your '68's condenser being fairly hidden, you may want to choose a new double pass style condensor. Worth making a phone call & getting pics of of how the line connections come out. I'm personally getting closer to making decision on a high level restoration which condensor to use. Would love to hear feedback on who is properly crimping hose ends.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 PM

Default Best Source for OE AC Parts

Call "Old Air Products" (817-531-2665) extension 102 (Clint) he has a 68 GTO. He'll fix you up and set you straight on what works and what doesn't and some design flaws that can't be helped.

The Following User Says Thank You to 69 Limelight For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on the double pass condenser. Looks bone stock, works much better than stock.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my condenser from Old Air ... one of their "factory replacement" parts ... looked pretty much identical except quite a bit higher fin count, much closer together than OEM and very thin fragile compared to OEM. Don't know it was double pass or not.

Mounts were poop though, thin, cheesy, with pop-rivets, replaced them with the OEM mounts that bolted on perfectly.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:08 PM

Are you sticking to R12 or upgrading to R134a? From what I've gathered by researching, the condenser is usually the point of contention when converting these older systems to R134a, so getting one or the more modern parallel flow condensers may be called for if you're going down that route.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plan at the moment is to stick with R12 ... but I'm open to R13 should it be required for some reason going forward. From what I've read, some people are using the "conventional" style condensers no problem with R13 ... others say an updated condenser is best. At this point just getting it working is the only goal ... and probably last on the list compared to getting the car road worthy