Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replacement 3 point seat belts

Considering installing 3 point belts in my 1963 Catalina Safari which now has no belts at all. It does have bolt locations in the floor but I would need to add a mount on the “B” pillar. Has anyone else done this on a car that had no belts from the factory?

These are Made in USA belts that look pretty good. They offer the GM buckles as well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/wel...ench-help.html

Old 07-01-2022, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost a month and 90 views and not one person has any input whatsoever.
OK

Old 07-02-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad. I read this awhile back and was hoping to read more. Have to admit that my lap belts on my '64 don't give me the confidence of a 3-point harness if I was to ever get in a wreck. Planting my face on the dash doesn't sound too good at all.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Almost a month and 90 views and not one person has any input whatsoever.
OK
I don't think the interior section gets a lot of traffic.

There was a recent discussion in the body shop tech about adding shoulder harnesses that has a little information. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=859565

You'll probably have to add some sort of reinforcement to the B pillar (or roof rail, if you decide to mount it there.) Juliano's and Ssnake-Oyl sell retrofit shoulder belt kits: https://www.julianos.com/Seat-Belts-s/96.htm and https://www.ssnake-oyl.com I have lap belts from Ssnake-Oyl in my car and am happy with them, I don't have experience with their shoulder belts.

Old 07-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this with my 71 rag - link here.

Scroll down for more.

As Stuart noted interior does not get much traffic. You will want the retractors on the roof as the shoulder loop moves more than the lap loop.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:42 PM

Haven't done one of those. We have drilled holes big enough to reset a nut and fully welded the nuts around the edge. The belt suppliers also have a variety of nutplates and brackets for retrofitting. There is also very heavy duty threaded inserts or rivnuts that set sort of like a rivet and expand behind the metal and can also be welded if needed. Had an old pick up in once where they had welded nuts to a long piece of 1/8" steel flat stock then slid that up inside the cab wall to the drilled hole. When the belt was bolted in that secured it. Seemed to work well. Look closely at the 3 pt belts. Many retractors are big bogus looking things with a bunch of brackets to fit the car. Some can get in the way and end up annoying.