Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-25-2022, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Power Steering squeal and bleeding

I am at my wits end with my power steering pump. I am on pump #3 and still having issues. I have followed CVF Racings instructions to the letter on installation and bleeding. I have turned the wheel left and right, lock to lock over 300 times. I have drawn a vacuum as high as 28 inches, and turned the wheel lock to lock more times than I can count, both with the engine off and with it running.
The pump is now quiet and smooth at idle and running up to about 2300 rpm, then it starts squealing very loud. My top speed is about 42mph before it gets loud.
It will hold a vacuum all day, yet I still can’t get all the air out.

What am I doing wrong?

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
1970 Trans Am - Current Project
Old 06-25-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Odd. I just installed a new PS pump, hoses, and steering box in my brother's GTO the other week. All we did after install was turn the wheels left & right a dozen or so times with the engine off until no more air bubbles came up, then started the engine and topped things off and it was all good from there. No funny noises, no aeration of the PS fluid, nothing.

Did you have the exact same problem with your previous two PS pumps?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post some pics of your setup.

It will hold a vacuum all day, yet I still can’t get all the air out. Not sure how a power steering pump holds vacuum. What am I missing?

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the belt doing the squealing? If so, the belt may be too narrow and riding on the bottom of the pulley groove instead of the sides of the groove. Something to check if you haven't done so.

George

Old 06-25-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

x2 on the belt. squealing is usually a belt/pulley issue. if its quiet & works good at idle or up to 2300rpms, chances are its the belt squealing at higher rpms.

another thing to confirm is the fan clutch, i bought a car recently long distance that ran great at idle & low rpm & showed no signs of a problem... when i got onto the highway it would squeal like a pig at about 2200rpm or 55mph, i checked & readjusted the belts & even bought some belt dressing stuff, nothing would stop the squeal above 55mph. made for a very long trip home at 50-53mph. got home did some more checking & swapped on a used fan i had... squeal was completely gone, the clutch was bad & made a loud squealing noise above a certain rpm but otherwise felt just like any other used clutch fan. that sounded exactly like a belt squealing.

have you verified it is the right belt & everything is lined up straight? what pump are you using? i used a reman cardone from rock auto & it was a quick & easy install/bleed, works great to 5500+ rpms with no squealing.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t follow what the OP means about holding vacuum either!
If he he jacks up the front to get the wheels off the ground and then turns the wheels from lock to lock with somebody looking in the pump and no air bubbles are seen then his issue is clearly a slipping belt.

If your running a ribbed type belt they are the worst in terms of gripping.

One summer I worked part time to help a friend with his emergency back up generator company and the first thing we would do is replace any of those ribbed belts even if they had only 2 hours of exercise time on them!

Last edited by 25stevem; 06-25-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

spray it with belt dressing, might help diagnostically.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 01:14 PM
Senior Chief

X 3 on the belt. Just had the same issue on my 37. Couldn't get the belt tight enough not to squeal under load. Belt was too narrow, riding too deep in the pulley. Changed to a wider belt, problem solved!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am using a vacuum pump hooked to a rubber grommet that is pushed into the neck of the pump tank. I can pump it up to almost 28 inches of vacuum, which should help to pull the air out of the system.
I’ve done the vacuum pull with the engine running, when I get over 26 inches of vacuum the pump will start to squeal, signaling that it has air trapped somewhere. The vacuum will hold steady, so I know there is no other air leaks in the system.

I checked the belt and it is as tight as I can get it.

The fan clutch seems ok, but I will have to double check it’s operation.

I am at a loss

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
Old 06-25-2022, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As for the pulley, I replaced the stock pulley with a deeper grooves pulley from CVF Racing.

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
Old 06-25-2022, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to be harsh, but I don’t care what vacuum it can hold, the question is are you seeing any air bubbles?
If not then even though it’s a new pump that does not mean that it can’t be defective and have a high level of friction once a certain rpm level it got to, as in a level beyond what the belt or any single belt can deal with even!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-71 View Post
I am using a vacuum pump hooked to a rubber grommet that is pushed into the neck of the pump tank. I can pump it up to almost 28 inches of vacuum, which should help to pull the air out of the system.
I’ve done the vacuum pull with the engine running, when I get over 26 inches of vacuum the pump will start to squeal, signaling that it has air trapped somewhere. The vacuum will hold steady, so I know there is no other air leaks in the system.

I checked the belt and it is as tight as I can get it.

The fan clutch seems ok, but I will have to double check it’s operation.

I am at a loss
it may not be a tightness issue on the belt, could be the wrong one for the pulley or its glazed over from previous slipping... or the pulley is out of alignment with the crank pulley. can you post a side pic showing the pulley alignment?

sounds frustrating but i dont think its a air issue, when doing the initial bleed you should be able to tell if there is air in the fluid by either seeing bubbles as you do the lock to lock of the wheel, or when starting the engine there will be frothing or aeration of the fluid. if you dont see any of that i doubt a vac pump will help anymore.

all i had to do on my new pump or resurrecting an old dry GM pump was to fill with fluid then turn the pulley backwards by hand or with a drill at lower speeds, i could see some air bubbles in the fluid, i cant say for sure where i heard to do that, might have been in the instructions with the new pump or a mechanic friend told me.

then i did the same in the operation direction for a bit. then turned the wheels lock to lock 6 or 7 cycles checking the fluid level like when bleeding brakes, dont let it get to low & suck in more air.

then did a couple cycles with the engine running, the first few times the pump made a bad noise & the wheel was a little jerky but that cleared up pretty quick. when shut off the fluid was very aerated, i let it sit overnight until it cleared up, topped off the fluid & started the next day & put the car on the ground & it has worked great since.

cant rule out a defective pump either, have heard of some remans being defective. my reman pump didnt come with the inlet fitting, had to swap one from my old pump, it was pretty gunked up too & i had to clean it out before installing. just some other things to consider.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes I am still seeing small bubbles.

I guess I need to jack it back up and turn the wheel from lock to lock a few more times.

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
Old 06-25-2022, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will take a stab at this but may need some additional info from you. When weird situations like this happen, you have to back up to the last time the steering system worked like it should. When was that? What pump was on it and what steering gear was on at the last time it worked correctly? I have never seen a PS pump give you the symptoms you describe that wasn't related to a pump/pulley/belt issue. But it's extremely unlikely you have had 3 defective pumps as well. So if you are sure the belt is staying tight and not slipping, we have to move on. I have also never heard of using any vacuum device to remove air from a steering system including a hydroboost. But lets move ahead. How does the steering wheel feel, engine running, weight on the tires and off the ground? Does it feel normal?, jittery, hard like no assist? Loose and hard when it is squealing? It is possible, but extremely rare that the torsion bar pin in the steering gear is loose or sheared off. This will allow the inner spool of the valve to route high pressure fluid to both sides of the power piston in the steering gear. You should have zero power assist. It should be extremely hard to turn. A pressure gauge might be a helpful tool for diagnosis. It would need to be plumed in the pressure side of the system between pump and gear. Normal pressure should be 60-100 PSI max straight ahead, idling. Through a slow turn of the wheel, weight of the tires on the ground, 300-500 PSI. As you approach the steering stops, 700-1000 PSI Against the stops, 1250+ PSI. The pressure should be very close on a left or right turn. Lets start here and reply when you can.

I forgot to ask if the pulley is a press on design or one with a key drive. Press on pulleys, especially aftermarket ones and rebuilt pumps may not have enough press under load to hold. If it's a press-on, mark the shaft and pulley with a paint marker or liquid paper. Run the engine up to squeal point and see if the marks move. Similar to checking a harmonic balancer for slip.

Last edited by mgarblik; 06-25-2022 at 03:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Pick up the Borgeson 899001 Power Steering Pump Pressure Valve Shim Kit. Pull the pressure valve out put it in the vise and remove all the shims.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have only had this car for a few months, it has always made a pump noise, hence why I replaced the pump. I swapped to the CVF racing keyed pulley as a suggestion in another thread. I am running a Gates belt.
With the tires off the ground, turning the wheel from lock to lock o had done initial resistance with large bubbles coming out. I continued to turn the wheel from lock to lock over 200 times, still having bubbles coming out.
Fired up the car with the tires still off the ground, turning the wheel lock to lock. Got a little hesitation and shuddering thru the wheel, it went away with a few turns of the wheel and finally smoothed out.
Topped off the fluid and took it for a drive. It was smooth and quiet at all speeds until I got to about 40mpg and 2400rpm and it started squealing while driving straight.
I have checked the pulley alignment and it is correct.

Not sure what else to try.

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
Old 06-25-2022, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way for what it’s worth I have never had air bubbles in my everyday car make for a slipping belt!

For example, my Subaru has a leaky rack and with the amount that I drive it for work during the week I need to add fluid twice a week when the pump starts to make noise.

When this happens, yes there is air seen in the reservoir, but once I fill it back up and turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times the light whine of the pump is gone and so are the air bubbles.

You seem to have two interacting problems taking place I would say.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holly. What fluid you using in the pump.? It doesn’t take long for bubbles to go. There might always be a few bubbles. The belt is your problem. Which piullies you go with ? V belt. 6 or 8 rib ?

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-71 View Post
I have only had this car for a few months, it has always made a pump noise, hence why I replaced the pump. I swapped to the CVF racing keyed pulley as a suggestion in another thread. I am running a Gates belt.
With the tires off the ground, turning the wheel from lock to lock o had done initial resistance with large bubbles coming out. I continued to turn the wheel from lock to lock over 200 times, still having bubbles coming out.
Fired up the car with the tires still off the ground, turning the wheel lock to lock. Got a little hesitation and shuddering thru the wheel, it went away with a few turns of the wheel and finally smoothed out.
Topped off the fluid and took it for a drive. It was smooth and quiet at all speeds until I got to about 40mpg and 2400rpm and it started squealing while driving straight.
I have checked the pulley alignment and it is correct.

Not sure what else to try.

Great information. Thank you. So what I am hearing is the car steers fine now. Power assist is good, smooth and the only issue is the squealing noise at 40 MPH, 2400 RPM. This may sound crazy, but I think the noise is the clutch fan like another poster said. So lets eliminate it. Unbolt it and remove it. Put some bolts in the pulley to hold it and drive the car without the fan. Report back. Bad fan clutch can make all kinds of noise.

BTW, the reason I say it's not the PS pump is because driving straight, regardless of speed, the pump pressure will be very low. Going straight would be the LEAST LIKELY situation for pump noise. Hope you figure it out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just replaced the fan clutch and my issue is exactly the same. I cleaned all the pulleys and replaced the belt for a 3rd time and still getting the metallic squeal at 2300 rpm or higher.

Nothing is leaking and I have triple checked all the fittings and connections. Could my steering box be allowing air in somehow?

I am at a loss on this one!

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold