Old 06-29-2022, 06:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Water pump weeping...normal?

I had my 4 bolt water pump rebuilt by what I consider a reputable rebuilder. It was installed last summer, but the car has not actually been run since then. It has been cranked a few times but not actually run. I keep getting a very light green color on some paper towels I put under the crank pulleys. I see that there is a stain underneath the water pump "weep hole". I don't ever remember having this on my previous water pumps. I'm questioning whether the shaft seal on this rebuild is defective. Any comments appreciated. Thx RA

Old 06-29-2022, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. Leaking. Should be bone dry

Old 06-30-2022, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I have noticed is when you allow a car to sit things that are normally spun up or exercised to remain in good working order will dry out or start to tarnish and or rust. I see this on gauges, especially 50+ year old speedometers; all the time.

It is really not practical to keep one of these old cars running as your everyday driver for a time span of 50 years for more.

So at some point the car, even if it's complete & runs or not, the car sits.

I have seen an older water pump seal dry out and leak in years past on cars that just sit. It's not just the "miles."

Old 06-30-2022, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd reassess it after some run time. Even a good seal sometimes needs a few turns to seat properly against the shaft.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:57 PM

I've had a lower radiator hose have a drip run down it after the car was out of commission for a couple months for a front suspension rebuild. I work a lot and can only turn wrenches when I have the time, so it was kind of drawn out.

Once the car was started and driven once or twice a week like I normally do, the leak stopped.

Maybe drive it a bit and wait it out.