THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Is that a lot of brake I smell? " " Yea i've got to ride em...". Driver then pumps the gas pedal..

My opinion is the Blower cars can easily float the idle high, and so a Blower engine that is quick to return to low idle is a sign of applied skills.

Car looks good from a distance, but my (and surely many others) "car show attitude" can be rather bad when engineering deficiencies are seen on such high hp cars. Surely we all have seen intentionally bad stuff along with unintentional/ignorant implementations.

Long longk ago i dropped a Q-JET Sec throttle plate while under hard throttle (Seka 650 sought the challenge). The GTOs unbridled HP never felt so wildly strong before! Well order of action was: downshift, ppress brakes, pump brakes, turn key off. Coasted into a parking lot and the Biker was concerned and pulled-in. Helmet comes off; was a Pontiac buddy! We talked and tore off the air filter: linkage fine, noticed vapors coming out 1 back flap. Climbed in over the carb and WoW! the plate was sucked down. Lots of small talk, and drove home on the primaries. That was a factory Plate install. Seems some Plate screws are brittle and the heads snap off super easy while other screws are tough. Pretty much been Un-TQ-reTQing them screws to test, then R&Ring my Baseplate screws since.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 07-14-2022 at 08:48 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 09:02 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
Like these?
https://images.app.goo.gl/rwPmtyEGoFghG9Tr6

I like how they integrate the shoulder belt, I'm going to remember this. My car no seat belts at all currently (and its road legal without them believe it or not).
I did not know any better until around 1970 when I visited a friend with a 66 GTO and he showed me the upper seat locks that kept the seats and flying Grandmothers from driving you into the steering wheel.

Road legal is not the same as ROAD SAFE.

The driver obviously wanted to be cool for the camera, (no seat belts) but cool and a poorly prepared engine
control system (Throttle cable/carb function) obviously caused the majority of the original issue.

The lack of wearing seat belts was bad for the guy in the right seat.
He put his life unknowingly in danger immediately.

If I remember the video correctly 2200 rpm engine speed on a 1300 hp engine can provide a lot of thrust
(HP) that most older brakes even in good shape could not stop.

The original sin was not fixing the carbs & throttle system so it was not hanging at that rpm. The rest of it was human error (even getting into the car in the first place) and ignoring the obvious issues.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:38 AM
Senior Chief

Yup. Shut it off. Jump on the parking brake of he had one.

The Following User Says Thank You to 428goat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
"Is that a lot of brake I smell? " " Yea i've got to ride em...". Driver then pumps the gas pedal..
Bad judgement and ignoring serious warning signs. The owner just seemed to have a lax attitude about things in general. Like driving a car that took him that much time and money to build without collision insurance and not using upper body restraints. That's just not having your head on straight. Which is why he was driving it before having essential things like brakes and throttle control squared away. But the paint was very shiny.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-14-2022, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Definitely some hard learned knowledge on that one. Everyone's already touched on what went wrong, I won't comment on that.

The one thing I see with these style cars a lot is the propensity to put roll bars or full cages in these cars. It kind of goes against intuition because cages save lives in race cars, but in a street car, they are extremely dangerous. A cage becomes a meat grinder when used without a harness that contains an anti-submarine strap and a helmet. Yes this gentleman had foam around the halo bars, but that's not doing much of anything for you without a helmet on.

I've had throttle hang recently in my 69 bird and when it happened at a light, I immediately pulled into a parking lot to diagnose the issue. When you know something is off like that, it's still okay to tell the camera guys we gotta pull off to check something. In my case I discovered that my throttle cable was fraying inside the cable sheathing and causing it to hang just off idle. I carry two additional throttle return springs in my console box, so I threw both of them on and limped home.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
Silly shifter. Only if you are missing an arm or leg should one run an automatic in a vintage car. Don't care how much faster an auto is apparently on the track. Just lame, and shifter like that on the street even dumber since he can't shift into neutral.
I guess I’m going to be lame, because I’m going BACK to an auto in my 67. Lame GM built it with one, and in 40 years plus of driving, I’ve never had an automatic transmission vehicle as a daily. My left knee also needs replaced. Guess I won’t be one of the cool kids anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not to mention that riding the brake means that nobody can tell when you're actually trying to slow down. It's basically like driving without brake lights.

My mother used to drive with two feet because she was scared not to have a foot always on the brake and she used just enough pressure to have the brake light always on. No matter what I said to try to get her to change, she wouldn't listen to me. Drove me crazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr1967 View Post
I guess I’m going to be lame, because I’m going BACK to an auto in my 67. Lame GM built it with one, and in 40 years plus of driving, I’ve never had an automatic transmission vehicle as a daily. My left knee also needs replaced. Guess I won’t be one of the cool kids anymore.
An automatic with a high stall and crisp shifts is just as fun to drive as a stick imo.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

High end build—- uses B&M ratchet shifter!! 🤔

Old 07-14-2022, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Hard to say what I’d do in a panic, but turning key off would I hope be the first thing on my mind.
I hear what you're saying but instead of the word "panic", I'd substitute "emergency".

I'm not a professional driver. But, over the years I've found myself in many driving emergencies where a crash was about to happen. I'll say I've been scared every time, but I've never panicked. You keep driving the car in the safest way you can at the moment.

Emergencies are always tense, stressful situations. But, I think the driver of that car was totally unprepared for anything, other than good fortune. Kind of what I said in an earlier post, he was just not on top of anything. He seems like a goofball kind of guy who thought it would be cool to drive a ridiculous car around the street. He ignored everything that was wrong with it and drove it anyway. And he was totally unprepared to handle the emergency he faced.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I hear what you're saying but instead of the word "panic", I'd substitute "emergency".

I'm not a professional driver. But, over the years I've found myself in many driving emergencies where a crash was about to happen. I'll say I've been scared every time, but I've never panicked. You keep driving the car in the safest way you can at the moment.

Emergencies are always tense, stressful situations. But, I think the driver of that car was totally unprepared for anything, other than good fortune. Kind of what I said in an earlier post, he was just not on top of anything. He seems like a goofball kind of guy who thought it would be cool to drive a ridiculous car around the street. He ignored everything that was wrong with it and drove it anyway. And he was totally unprepared to handle the emergency he faced.
Lol. Yeah I used the word panic because he looked in a panic to me. I’m only here today because of keeping a cool head in an emergency. Harleys are even less forgiving than cars.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 10 yrs ago I had brake issue with SD. My first startup every year I drive it around the cultesac,spl,across the road. I had some brakes. Then I hit them hard there,no brakes. So gingerly brought it into garage. The wheel cylinders were rusty. I replaced calipers, master cylinder, wheel cylinders.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy crap....

These just went back on my "need to do " list

https://www.morrisclassic.com/collections/seatbelts

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 07-15-2022, 08:08 AM
Senior Chief

Its easy to second guess this guy after the fact, but in this case - its just plain obvious that there was a whole pile of failures, both human and mechanical. I enjoy a sketchy car as much as the next guy, but I'd have been out and standing on the sidewalk after the first block. Damn, what an idiot.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Its easy to second guess this guy after the fact, but in this case - its just plain obvious that there was a whole pile of failures, both human and mechanical. I enjoy a sketchy car as much as the next guy, but I'd have been out and standing on the sidewalk after the first block. Damn, what an idiot.
I have to agree. Have to ride the brakes because the throttle is sticking? WTF? Why did it leave the driveway? Especially with that much power and tiny brakes. I've screwed up too, but damn.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Like I told Charlie66 the other night, I had a brake line failure on my 64 many, many, years ago. Train Gates were dropping, lights were flashing, BUT fortunately there was a turn-around to go the opposite direction on a divided highway. I was only doing about 30 mph.

I managed to make the loop and go the opposite direction as no cars on that side of the road (gates were down, remember???)

I still went almost a football field length before scrubbing off the speed nudging the curb.

So chit happens. I should have checked the brake system parts occasionally.

This was in 1977. I ordered a new 1978 TA a month later. Still kept the 64 GTO.

The difference is, I had no warning. This gentleman had lots of warning signs which
he ignored. Riding the brakes, stuck high idle on engine, etc.

And I did not damage another persons car due to my lax inspection of the brakes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody that lives in the RustBelt should not be new to Brake Failure!

Old 07-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clearly a shmuck move on all counts.
I've been digging these AT vids during all this Corvid BS and
they have had some badass rides and then this went down and faded away.

Then Shawn brought it back up and now it has taken on a life of its own.
Sadly even my local rock station has a stupid news segment, and yup it was talked about.
So many big-time phuckups that it goes beyond comprehension.
These guys knew better and hopefully can recover.

We're not 20 anymore, THINK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pzE4weOp4

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 07-15-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

To quote Forrest Gump.
Stupid is, as stupid does!!!!
I truly can’t believe what happened in that video???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-16-2022, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Hard to say what I’d do in a panic, but turning key off would I hope be the first thing on my mind.
The fact that you even thought it says to me that yes, you'd do it instinctually.
I had a total hydraulic failure, zero drama, key off/E-brake on just happened.

Driver lacked common sense. Passenger could've reached over as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post: