THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel for him for putting all those years and $$$ into that car and now it's ruined but... Brakes failed because he was riding the brake, instead of going back to the shop and fix the throttle linkage he rides the brakes. Then when the brakes fail he doesn't turn off the motor or put it in neutral I would say that guy is a happy meal short of a six pack.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You get to spend $280,000 on a build when you farm every part of the build out. This guy doesn't have a clue on the workings of his car and was probably waiting for an appointment to have the throttle looked at.

Having spent my teenage years with my gearhead friends as complete idiots playing with old clunkers, we accidentally experienced many emergencies -- and most of them evolved around brake failure (although engine fires ranked a close second). Emergency brake uses the same shoes as does the rear brakes, and one fails the other does also. Hydraulic failure and the emergency can save you, but with overheated drums and linings you better be moving on from the worthless emergency brake. We also learned very quickly that the auto transmissions were engineered to not drop in park over a few miles an hour. Try that at even 10 MPH and you will be greeted with the ratcheting. Now with a healthy engine dropping it into reverse just might work without stalling it, but if he didn't upgrade the brakes he probably didn't upgrade the driveshaft and the universals would have failed. At least he wouldn't have been under power when he hit the car.

1,300 Horsepower was a non-player in this accident. From observing him punch it, apparently the other 3/4 must have been misplaced in the engine builder's shop.

Can't believe the Autotopia guy didn't realize where things were going. About the time I smelled the brakes I'd be saying "just pull over and I'll catch a ride back with my camera crew".

Old 07-20-2022, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
High end build—- uses B&M ratchet shifter!! ��
What would you suggest? A Cheetah air shifter? That B&M Hammer he has is as good as it gets for the street for an AOD in-console application. It operates in a normal auto gate mode with reverse and neutral lockouts and can be set to ratchet or normal (for downshifting) by simply lifting the T handle in front of the stick. The guy had no clue how the shifter operates.

With regard to brakes, I see 4 wheel disc rotors on the car in the vid so obviously brake updates were made. It doesn't appear that any corners were cut there either. It all comes down to the dufus driving not recognizing all the signals the car (sticking throttle and overheated brakes) was giving him and not being familiar enough with the car to react to the emergency he created for himself.