Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-09-2022, 05:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Snake Oil?

Anybody had results with this?

https://rislone.com/international/ca...#product-34240

Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It will cut through and remove varnish on the outside and inside of lifters that may be causing a problem, but on unrebuilt high mileage motors I will loosen all the crap in the bottom of, much of which contains grit from ware and send it thru the motor by means of the oil supply and that crap will also get kicked up onto the cylinder walls.
BTDT!
In one of my 389 motors in a used Bonni that I had it cut loose so much crap from the bottom of the pan that it near fully clogged off the motors oil pump screen.

Use with care!

Old 08-09-2022, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's doubtful it will hurt anything. Changing a rear main seal is a big job. So give it a shot. Regular Rislone engine treatment is basically just a solvent with a high flash point. I have had it quiet a sludged-up engine with stuck lifter plungers. This product I have not tried. I bet it is a similar base with some additional additives to swell the seals. If your engine has an old rope seal, I can't imagine any chemical additive helping. For rubber type gaskets and seals on old sludged-up engines an old tried and true remedy was to put about 2 tablespoons of brake fluid in the oil. It would soften and swell the seals and gaskets. They are all just band-aids and may help slightly. Let us know if it worked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
which product in that link are you asking about? if its the first rear main seal leak stuff then all the info in post#2 doesnt apply, this isnt a cleaner its intended to condition or swell the rear main & other rubber type seals of more modern cars. like mgarblik said, it probably wont do much if anything for older rope type seals, but it does say "ALL" engine types so might be worth a try. i have used another brand blue devil rear main stop leak on an older jeep 4.0 i had & it did reduce the leaks but its temporary, after 1 or 2 oil changes it came back just as bad as original.

if its any of the other products, i have used the oil flush before on a high mile original engine, if you follow the instructions & only use it for the last 50 miles or so before changing the oil it wont or shouldnt do anything major like clogging an oil pickup screen, its a relatively mild detergent, but i would rather just use some marvel mystery oil for a couple oil changes, or seafoam which does work good for cleaning internals or the fuel system & cleaning carbon in the upper end of the engine.

i have heard good things about their oil supplements & zddp additives if thats what you want or need. but unless the engine has a bigger cam with higher spring pressures, a broken in smaller or stock cam will do perfectly fine on modern oils that have about 800-900ppm of zddp & other modern anti wear additives to protect most "street" cams/lifters.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just to clarify.....The rear main seal stop leak is the product in question..

Engine is a stock 61 389....in a survivor....but looks to have been overhauled not so long ago.....

Both engine and trans are way too clean....and engine was painted...out of car.....

Old 08-09-2022, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Just to clarify.....The rear main seal stop leak is the product in question..

Engine is a stock 61 389....in a survivor....but looks to have been overhauled not so long ago.....

Both engine and trans are way too clean....and engine was painted...out of car.....
its worth a try & shouldnt hurt anything. another option to help with rear main seal leaks is to use a thicker oil, depending on your climate & internal engine specs going from a 10/30 to 10/40 or maybe even a good 20/50 if youre in a warm climate should help reduce the rear main leak. synthetics can make it worse. a final option to try is lucas oil stabilizer, it will thicken the viscosity some so dont add it to thicker oils but it also helped my rear main leaks in my old daily jeep.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
its worth a try & shouldnt hurt anything. another option to help with rear main seal leaks is to use a thicker oil, depending on your climate & internal engine specs going from a 10/30 to 10/40 or maybe even a good 20/50 if youre in a warm climate should help reduce the rear main leak. synthetics can make it worse. a final option to try is lucas oil stabilizer, it will thicken the viscosity some so dont add it to thicker oils but it also helped my rear main leaks in my old daily jeep.
Yeah....I just bought it...and prolly an oil and filter change is a good start....Then I know what's in it....

Old 08-09-2022, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I thought you where asking about there regular Cleaning product.