Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 PM

Default Ames 64 GTO dash pad

After several calls and emails with pictures and video of problems with their 64 dash pad once again I get stuck with paying for a defective and or bad repro part even after I was told they would do something.You will notice in the catalogue that it states to beware of cheap urethane reproductions . Well this one. I am one to never complain or burn bridges but this was the last straw.I have been an Ames customer since 1979 and have purchased thousands with them. Guess it doesn't matter. Regrettably I will now shop else ware.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the original?

Have you considered recovering it?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Default Dash Pad

I do have an original. I still may have it recovered. My problem is I have a show in 4 weeks. M

Check out this video. Its what you have to do to make it fit. But they obviously leave our a critical step in reinforcing the flab.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uwAIkQPFY

Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bad job. Not cheap either.
The Dap adhesive is about $90
You need two yard of material $130 I think. So you will have enough to do three of them.
and I used the padded dash filler for the cracks about $40

One word of advise is do one section at a time. I tried to do the whole thing at once. That caused issues in the valleys. Once you pull it back up you will have to re-glue it. You also have to stretch the hell out of the vinyl in a few areas.

If you want to know more let me know.

Last edited by rohrt; 04-25-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GTOSplus View Post
I do have an original. I still may have it recovered. My problem is I have a show in 4 weeks. M

Check out this video. Its what you have to do to make it fit. But they obviously leave our a critical step in reinforcing the flab.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uwAIkQPFY
After seeing how flimsy those replacements are I'm glad I did my the way I did.

That Youtube channel is awesome! Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by rohrt; 04-25-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Default dash

I was thinking of taking the cover off the repro and putting on the original. Yours looks great. If I send you mine and you have the material, you want a job? M

Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GTOSplus View Post
I was thinking of taking the cover off the repro and putting on the original. Yours looks great. If I send you mine and you have the material, you want a job? M
Thanks for the compliment. If I had the time I would consider it.

I would check around for a local upholstery shop to cover it. They would be more proficient at it them myself.

You could purchase the padded dash filler here and fill any cracks and sand them down pretty quickly. Then it would be all ready to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Suppl.../dp/B0002JKE6Y

It kinda sucks having to buy the DAP Weldwood adhesive. You can only buy a gallon at a time from what I have found and it only has a shelf life of a year.

The one thing I did was cut off of the overlap on the inside of the dash so it didn't get too thick when I covered it.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Default Dash

Thanks for the tips. I am going to my upholstery guy Monday. I have no problem doing anything but time is now short. Will send you a picture of car when done. I have done one National modified winner(2 years in a row) and another regional show winner that got top dollar at a Mecum auction in 2013.Sorry I sold that one. And a couple more. Thanks again. M

Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Ames Staff Member

4GTOS, I am sorry you have had a problem with our dash pad. I am not sure what has transpired here. if we said we would take care of it and didn't it may have fallen through the cracks and I will be the first one to say sorry. We have been extremely busy during this transition and unfortunately sometimes things don't get taken care of the way they should. Please send me an email with your customer information and who you spoke to. Also note if the dash pad was modified. My email: kevin@amesperf.com. We do appreciate and value your business and would like to keep you as an Ames customer. I look forwarded to hearing from you.