Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default '68 Firebird Zbar

Hi PY -
I purchased a Zbar for my '68 Firebird at the Eglishtown show a few weeks ago. I am using a stock 400ci Pontiac motor. When I installed the zbar it, it appears to be way short for the intended application. The block side of the zbar is supposed to mate up with the ball stud... not even close. As you can see the Zbar looks like it is approx. 1.25 inches too short. I already checked photos of the stock frame bracket and this is the correct part. Btw, the zbar packaging said small block and the tube measures exactly 9 inches. Would you please offer a suggestion as to what is wrong here?

Please see the attached photo to show you exactly what I am talking about.

Please help!

Thanks guys.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1018081137.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	145754  

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

try jacking themotor back up to where it normally rides w a trans in car.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Rtanner,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. It maybe gave a 1/16 of an inch..not going to solve this problem though. I heard the big block zbar is .75" longer that might help some. Why do you think PY is sending small block zbar if it is too short? Something weird here. I need other suggestions.. anyone? PY?

Regards,
Tom

Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Guys,
Sorry, my apologies.. I actually bought this zbar from another vendor at the Etown show. I bought from a few places so I was got a little confuesed.

If you can help me identify the right zbar I will buy it from you. I am told the 9" small block zbar is correct for this car... Then I thought, maybe, just maybe the fact I am using a '75 model year pontiac motor maybe had something to do with this? Did GM make the blocks an inch skinnier or something? Would a 2nd gen Firebird zbird work?

Regards,
Tom

Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive done several 4speed change overs and its weird what you get into at times. the second gen z-bar is definitly wider by about what it looks like you need.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey i just looked at your pi up close your frame bracket definitly looks like its installed backwards flip it around the open channel for the ball to slide goes toward the front of the car and s shape of the bracket should be toward the motor!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Chief

The frame bracket has an offset that kind of molds to the top part of the frame. The bracket right now is postitioned so the slot is closer to the engine compartment thereby giving the shorter amount of space for the zbar to fill. If I were to reverse the bracket, the zbar would end up being another 3/4" further away from the engine stud...

You said it right in your first post.. things just get a little challenging with doing changeovers, even stock ones. I was able to find a longer engine stud and I just picked up the bib block zbar which is 9/16" longer than the small block zbar. The length of the levers is the same and the location on the tube is only about 1/2 " off. Hopefull this won't throw off the geometry too much.

FB

Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Chief

Ok! I now get what you mean. Indeed, the slot of the bracket is pointed currently toward the back of the car. I didn't even show that in my photo, damn you are good!

I will give this a try later on and let you know how this works out.

FB

Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you find the longer stud? I need one. They did make two different lengths but I've been unable to find the longer one.
I have a similar issue. I whacked the frame mount in a bit, plus the frame had a slight crown where the holes are tapped, whacked that flat, put a spacer between the stud and block but it's still iffy. All of this is with OEM parts.
Check your frame pivot ball in the Z-bar to make sure it's not in to deep. The plastic cups inside should have a shallow and deep side to them.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

ho428,
Later on today I will try rtanner's suggestion because my frame bracket isn't currently oriented the way he is describing. I am having trouble visulizing this working, but i will give it a shot.

If it does turn out to solve my problem, I would be glad to help you out with the longer stud. I would look to get only what I paid for it. I spent several days calling around the country and noone had a clue where to get the longer stud as the part is effectively extinct with noone currently reproducing it. I ended up getting it from a local guy who has the reputation for having exactly the part you need... at expensive prices, although worth it in this case.

FB

Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know what you find out.

Frame mount pic from my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0557.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	147058  

Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Rtanner,
The bracket is in the right way. When I flipped it over none of the holes in the frame line up and it positions the zbar in conflict with the steering box.

ho428, I recognize this bracket in your photo as the 1967 bracket... it is different from the 68-9 bracket. I have no idea why GM used a diff bracket for the same gen. I am finding it really strange that I am using all stock parts that were supposed to be right for this car and I am having the same problem of the zbar being too short. So for me, the solution seems to be using the longer engine stud and the big block zbar which is just a little bit longer. I installed the big block zbar tonight and it seems to be a perfect fit, still some room between the zbar and the block, but a good tight fit.

I mean it when i tell you I called every catalog house and a few pontiac experts around the country. Noone could provide the longer stud. I got lucky with a local supplier. So, if you would like to try contacting him, send me a PM and I will give you info. I have never seen him advertise and I tend to doubt he does the mail order thing. So if you find this to be the case, let me know and I will try to work something out for you.

FB

Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey 1st gen i learned something,yes everything ive said is directly from my 68-69 experience ive never had a 67.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Z-BAR

if it said small block its for a camaro. you have to get one for a firebird