Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Something doesn't seem right. I can't believe we went all these years selling that spoiler and it fits as bad as you say. I have to believe we would have had at least a handful of complaints. Maybe it's a misformed one? Can you post the part number?

btw, Did you have that car out a SEMA last week? There was that exact combination Judge in a booth in Central hall. The rear window moldings were missing on it. Otherwise an incredible restoration.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:30 AM
Administrator

I moved this to Customer Satisfaction forum. I'm almost positive they have a 1970 GTO they can take a couple of pics of so you can see how it installs. I'm convinced that positioning is the problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rocket View Post
thank you for pointing out my dumbassedness Greg, lol

1970 Pontiac GTO

What is wrong with the spoiler that is on the car?
Håkan

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does this help?
http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=408714

Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

PM sent

Old 11-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

We will have a update on this soon we are going to check a NOS and original air dam against a original valance and compare it to our reproduction air dam.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you CCass and Ames-Tech for looking in to this for your customers. It's why I have purchased most of my resto products from you guys. I contacted you guys after asking here as it appeared that I wasn't the only customer that had issue with the fitment of the chin spoiler. 95% sure its an install goof up but it never hurts to check. It just seems that close to the end of each corner of the spoiler there is a "platform" for lack of a better word that keeps the spoiler from laying flush against the lower valence and creates a gap in the middle of the spoiler between the spoiler and the valence. I sent Jeremiah numerous pics of my install. I can post them here if needed.

I wish I could get in to SEMA one year. I'm sure they only have REAL Judges at SEMA, lol.

Thanks for the compliments gang. much appreciated.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Very nice! 32 years in this business and never knew that!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a sheet from the assembly manual (cut in half).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970GTOSheet480177-2A.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	413078   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970GTOSheet480177-2B.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	413079  

Old 11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

We have measured and compared the current reproduction air dam to a original and a older reproduction as well. As you can see these are defiantly being manufactured with a higher area near the outside of the air dam increasing so even compared to the older reproduction to the newer version. We attempted to try another source but found them to be discontinued. At this time we do not have a source on a closer dimension reproduction unfortunately but will continue to search.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20151116_103007729.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	413822  

Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Anyone know what the consequences are of the taller mounting area? I don't see the installation being any easier or more difficult. It would seem to me that the entire spoiler would mount lower. Anyone want to post a pic of their 'repro' spoiler and how it looks on their finished car?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Ccass here are some pictures of the repro installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	414077   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	414078  

Old 12-13-2015, 11:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ha ha, so I visited a local classic consignment dealer and they had 2 70 GTO's on the sales floor and I can tell ya where the front chin spoilers came from, lol. They had the same bad gaps anb terrible fit that my chin spoiler has.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I can't understand......maybe someone can help. Why is it so hard to make a reproduction part? You take the used or NOS part and copy it? Why 1/4" too long , 1/2" too short, the holes are 1/4" of being where they should be. Are blind workers doing this? people that cant read a ruler? what gives? This spoiler should be EASY. Take a OEM spoiler, make a mold and done!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Ames Staff Member

Default repro parts

Throughout the industry there are hundreds of different manufacturers not all have the same level of quality control. When doing a reproduction it could take several samples before final approval of a part that meets a high level of quality. Unfortunately not all manufacturers want to go through this painstaking task instead they approve the first sample that comes in without a quality check. We try and note these short comings throughout our catalog with buyer beware notes. What makes things difficult is when a manufacturer of a current part makes changes that affects the quality. We based our catalog write up on the initial part, lets say it was excellent, and then quality changes for the worse with a new run and we end up finding out the problem through customers. This is similar to what happened with the spoiler. We feel the frustration.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see why its frustrating. It seems so simple. Copy the part. Its not like they had to do it from scratch or find the original blueprints, they have one in their hand. Sometimes I don't think they could make a copy of a cardboard box. I guess nothing happens until they make 500 and then figure out it doesn't fit, after they sell 50, then make changes after that run. I mean if it was me I would be sayin' "Damn that isn't going to work! make it like the sample!" I know it takes money to make parts, and they have to sell enough to cover expenses, but it doesn't take anymore money to make it FIT than to make it Not Fit. ; ).

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well lets not throw all the blame at one party. As enthusiasts and consumers, why hasn't anyone who has previously purchased this product brought it up to the seller this fitment issue? With all of the perfection seeking restorers out there that sweat the details like factory over spray, paint dabs, and crayon markings noticed and reported these fitment details?. I believe we all have to pass on constructive feedback from all parties in order to develop the correct restoration solution.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

360Rocket,
I did a mock up of an NOS chin spoiler on an NOS valance & an oem core support, maybe these pics will help shed some light on how these fit (or don't fit!).
I don't have a repo spoiler here to gauge any differences but I do recall seeing one a few years ago and it did not have the five 1/4" holes to bolt the center part of the spoiler to the valance. IIRC the shop that installed it used the 1/8" self drilling screws to pull that up tight.

I don't think these ever fit tight from GM like the second gen TA front spoiler did, these pics show there's at least a 1/2" gap between the valance/spoiler under the turn signal area. HTH!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

excellent photos thank you sir. yeah I could live with the gap that you have. The gap on mine is much more prominent. I'll have to measure the gap.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

anything on a new spoiler from Ames yet?