Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Problems with the '68 dash woodgrain

What is the deal with the vinyl dash appliques? Has anyone gotten this right yet?
I ordered RP1624 some time ago and it only lasted a few months before it started bubbling and lifting. I figure that's what I get for buying the cheaper one.

Next, I reorder the more expensive RP1624V. Quality seemed much better, heavier backing, etc.. I installed it and it would lift occasionally in the heat but I just pressed it back down. Not real pleased with that but I could live with it.
Today, I was shocked to suddenly see that my entire wood-grain insert has shrunken about a quarter inch around every single perimeter.
It's not only the money involved but now I have no confidence in anything I replace it with, plus the labor and time involved with doing this for a THIRD time.

This is the worst spot but even in the spots where it's still adhered to the backing, the entire wood-grain has shrunken so that the white backing is visible at every edge.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Pypes Staff - Tech

Hi Greg. I don't know why the vinyl would do that. I know it's frustrating and I apologize for your inconvenience. I am going to send the picture you sent to my mfg and see if they have any answers. Please stay tuned... GP Mike

Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the attention. By the way, I want to clarify that I was mistaken about the FIRST one I had. I got it from 'the other guys' at APE. This second, (RP1624V) much more expensive one, is the one I got from you guys.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Greg, Not to butt in and not to question your inventorying skills, ;) but that woodgrain does not look like RPI624V at all. It looks like the cheap RPI624. In 10 years of using the RPI624V, I have never seen one bubble like that. You'd need a heat gun on steroids to make RPI624V bubble like that.

Also, it appears like you installed the wood from the left to right as you can see it is shifted too far to the left and is overlapping on the gauge pod and is crooked around the heater control. Woodgrain kits need to be lined up from the middle and work your way out to the ends.

Since it is ruined, can you start to peel it back off the dash so we can see the back? Did you save the part you peeled off the back? That would allow us to confirm which insert you have there.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did put it on from the center out Chris. I started gently placing it around the gauge openings and worked my way out to the edges making sure the concave area was down good before moving out to the edges..
I haven't pulled any of it off. Just to clarify which product is, it is the one with the white foam-like backing. That is the white that is visible in the photos. The crookedness and the overlap of the gauge pod is all due the the actual migration of the veneer. The backing stayed in place. Again, that is the white visible in the above photo. This white border is visible at every perimeter, ie. the glove box, heater control etc.
As further evidence of which one it is, the following post should clear it up. The photo is of the cheaper one I got from Ames. The one in THIS post was the more expensive Legendary product that I replaced it with. All that is noted in the post...I was happy with it until just a couple of weeks ago when this occured.
Hope this clarifies it for you.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...32&postcount=8

PS- I did not save what I peeled off the backing but I did save the round punch outs for the gauge pods. I can take a pic of that if it'll help you.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Ok, I was under the misconception that you had recently installed the woodgrain and it bubbled like that from a hot sunny day. My apologies. Despite being 5 years old, there is still no reason for this to have happened even if subjected to major temperature swings. Did you notice this slowly starting to shrink over the years or did it go from fine to ruined this past winter?

Unless people are not coming forward, we have never had a customer contact us with a delaminated wood kit like this. What part of the country are you from? I'm pretty much speechless.

Maybe it was just a bad run? We will contact the place that makes them and see what they say. Since there is nothing available that is better, at the very least, since you did get several years out of it, PY would get you a new one at a highly discounted price.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris and no apologies necessary.. I was planning to get another regardless... As you say, there's nothing better out there to my knowledge...
The situation is this...I had my car painted and for the first time, it was outside much of the time for several months. This was from last May until just last month. We had an unusually cold winter so I highly suspect it was this wide temperature swing. Just like everyone else, this year was not our typical winter. It was inside for at least part of the 'snow season'...but it was also outside for some of the hottest as well as coldest months of the season.
While it was at the painters place, I was down there at least once a week checking on my car. I did not notice this had happened until I got it back home..so, I can't really say if it was gradual or sudden. I do think I would have noticed this at some point if it had been gradual.
I see that you have the metal backing now also. I will order another veneer and this time I'll order the metal backing to go with it.
I DO appreciate your attention to this. Let me know how you want to handle it and I'll order what I need.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess my catalog is old (12a?) and I do not see the metal backing you are talking about Greg. I'm about to do another bezel and the two I did about 2 years ago (one was on a brand new bezel from PY) still look great but maybe the metal backing is the best way to go? I used the better vinyl from PY right over the pebble finish. I tried a search and I'm sure this was talked about before but did 68's have this metal backer. I've done 3 (68's) of them now and none had the metal backer. Of course in 46 years they may have been redone at some point...
Thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My present car didn't have one either and I assumed it was the original veneer... but I saw one in the on-line catalog and someone on the forum mentioned it. I assumed it was missing on mine as I don't really know if it's original or not.
I have spare panel but the veneer was already removed from it. My first GTO never got the treatment so I'm not sure on that one. I may skip it if it's not necessary.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My present car didn't have one either and I assumed it was the original veneer... but I saw one in the on-line catalog and someone on the forum mentioned it. I assumed it was missing on mine as I don't really know if it's original or not.
I have spare panel but the veneer was already removed from it. My first GTO never got the treatment so I'm not sure on that one. I may skip it if it's not necessary.
68's never had a metal backing. It was just a real heavy mil veneer. However, an additional backing would allow the vinyl to adhere better than the pebble grain plastic surface. Personally, I think some type of extenuating circumstance caused that problem. I think if you installed a new one, you should be good for a long time. Please call our 800# and ask for Mike S. He had replied above and was checking into this. He can handle this situation for you.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do. Thanks Chris.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to be clear, this problem was in no way due to any action or inaction by anyone at PY, but they did about all anyone could expect to rectify it. It has been resolved to my satisfaction. Thanks Chris and Thanks Mike...

Old 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more addition to this topic... To take care of this PY sold me a replacement at their cost and no shipping. I was satisfied with that as the problem was not their fault but a manufacturing issue.
Fast forward... Mike contacted me yesterday to notify me that the manufacturer was replacing my bad insert. PY could have kept it and I would have been none the wiser. Instead, PY is having it shipped to me so I can do with it as I please. If I want to, I could sell one and recoup my out of pocket cost. That's a good deal all around. I appreciate that they stayed on this issue and got it resolved even though I had let the issue go weeks ago.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great job PY, Im happy to see how well you all helped Greg.