WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by judge_jury_executioner_69:

yet again youre proven wrong. this is getting old. what excuse this time ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the only thing thats getting old is the crying and complaining...

this is the '04 GTO section, so i would have to guess that more new GTO threads will get started here?

if you don't like it ... go tell someone that cares.

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".
Old 12-07-2003, 10:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who says it's not a GTO? You? Just because you says it's not a GTO doesn't mean it's not a GTO. When people buy this vehicle, I'm sure the vehicle's registration is going to have, (NOT A GTO) Let me ask you (trigger and judge_jury) this, how many 2004 GTO's have you driven to date? My guess is ZERO. Both of you would make great monday morning quarterbacks! Do you believe everything you read? If you do, let me know because I have some interesting reading for you. I've read several post from people that have accually driven this vehicle. And it's been nothing but praise the way this vehicle handles and performs. Like I've said before, if you don't like this vehicle, don't buy it. Don't like the way it looks, don't look at it. Don't like the way it sounds, don't listen to it. Why don't you do the smart thing and WAIT until you can physically get your hands on a 2004 GTO before basing your opinions. Then again, opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one. As for me, I like the new GTO. But thats from what I've seen from pictures. Of course I'm going to reserve my opinions of the performance and handling until I drive one. Just two questions for you (trigger and judge_jury)

1. How many 2004 GTO's have you seen in person?

2. How many 2004 GTO's have you driven?

trigger = starting monday morning quarterback
judge_jury = back-up monday morning quarterback

Sorry judge, trigger gets the starting job at monday morning quarterback. You'll be the back up .
Old 12-07-2003, 10:53 PM

Thought I'd chime in here. I have here in front of me the Top 50 Fastest MuscleCars list that was published by a car mag a couple years ago. So no cars built in the last couple years are in the list. I'll list a few of interest.
#1 - '97 Viper 12.05@116
#6 '97 Hurst Firebird 12.99@103(fastest Pontiac on list)
#12 '97 Camaro SS 13.20@108.8
#19 '73 Trans Am 13.54@104 (fastest Pontiac motored car 455SD )
#30 '87 Buick GN 13.70@102
#49 '67 GTO 400HO 13.90@102.8 ( only GTO on the list. That's right, no Judges, RA IV's etc. )

These times are taken from road tests published over the years from car mags. The new GTO would rank at #22 with a 13.60 time.

Now I know the older cars would have been faster with modern tires ect. but 13.6 is still pretty respectable IMO. Sure a couple imports are faster, but look at the styling. Who thinks the WRX looks nicer than the GTO? Not me.

Take the car for what it is. Not the fastest. Not the best looking. Not the cheapest or most expensive. But all in all a pretty good first year car. Future models will be faster, sleeker, scoops, dual exhaust, ect.

If you don't like it that's OK. Don't buy it.

BTW, I own a '00 GTP and have followed the GP board for some time. Fastest reported stock time I have seen is 14.6. These cars are very different cars in hot weather. Very doggy. Good thing about living in northern Canada I guess. It's cold most of the time.

Brian

1967 GTO project in the works. 2000 GTP family hauler.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:22 PM

For those of you that believe everything you read:

http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...D1=280&ID2=179
Old 12-07-2003, 11:38 PM

Here's another post. This person has (or claims) driven a 2004 GTO.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=194333
Old 12-08-2003, 10:33 AM

wow! look at the SLOW LT1s on that list running 12s and 13s!

And thank you! Now that I'm the starting Mon. morning QB I finally have purpose in life.

Hey! It's monday! Today's my day! Go deep, you dog.

1981 Trans Am, 462ci/4sp
1995 Formula
1963 Bonnie (for sale)
Old 12-08-2003, 12:15 PM

Trigger,

I'm your coach, not your receiver! Keep that attitude up and your find yourself riding the bench!

Let's face it trigger, nobody is going to change your attitude about this car. Just like you're not going to change anybodies attitude. Either you like the car or you don't. But at least wait till you see and drive the vehicle to express your opinions.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:53 PM

to clarify for the eighteenth time: I'm not bashing the car. It looks like a blast to drive. My problem is with GMs decision to rush the car to market rather than do it right. I have no doubt that in 3 or 4 years, the nw GTOs will be nothing short of badass.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm truly sorry that many of you have your panties in a bunch because of my opinions.

1981 Trans Am, 462ci/4sp
1995 Formula
1963 Bonnie (for sale)
Old 12-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Trigger,

You act like I really care what you think about this car. Trust me, I don't lose any sleep over this issue. Unless you pay my bills then your opinion doesn't mean squat to me. Trust me Trigger, you opinion hasn't changed anybodies opinion on this vehicle. Either they like the car or they don't. Most peoples opinions change when they see and or drive the vehicle. By the way, I think GM did it right.... THE FIRST TIME with this vehicle!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 PM

Trigger, those are not your stock off the showroom floor LT1 cars, but specially modified Hurst and SLP cars. Kinda the modern day Royal Bobcat cars, if you will. The stock ones are fast too, but not that fast.

Where are the much revered RA III and IV cars?? I thought these were the baddest ever made? Anybody got an old road test in a magazine?

Brian

1967 GTO project in the works. 2000 GTP family hauler.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Iron Horse:
[QUOTE] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who says it's not a GTO? You? Just because you says it's not a GTO doesn't mean it's not a GTO. When people buy this vehicle, I'm sure the vehicle's registration is going to have, (NOT A GTO) Let me ask you (trigger and judge_jury) this, how many 2004 GTO's have you driven to date? My guess is ZERO. Both of you would make great monday morning quarterbacks! Do you believe everything you read? If you do, let me know because I have some interesting reading for you. I've read several post from people that have accually driven this vehicle. And it's been nothing but praise the way this vehicle handles and performs. Like I've said before, if you don't like this vehicle, don't buy it. Don't like the way it looks, don't look at it. Don't like the way it sounds, don't listen to it. Why don't you do the smart thing and WAIT until you can physically get your hands on a 2004 GTO before basing your opinions. Then again, opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one. As for me, I like the new GTO. But thats from what I've seen from pictures. Of course I'm going to reserve my opinions of the performance and handling until I drive one. Just two questions for you (trigger and judge_jury)

1. How many 2004 GTO's have you seen in person?

2. How many 2004 GTO's have you driven?

trigger = starting monday morning quarterback
judge_jury = back-up monday morning quarterback

1. 0
2. 0
i think theyre ugly and i know theyre slow. GM half a**ed the car. ive seen the pics that mr gto put up of the 05 concept. id drive that. well maybe it depends if they could get it to be able to beat a import. its "supposed" to be a GTO and that means its supposed to be fast. and it is none of the above. i take it as a slap in the face that its only running mid 13's. what car isnt running mid 13's? thats nothing to brag about. just to clearify im bashing the 04 so far.

Greatest Of All Time
Old 12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by judge_jury_executioner_69:

LS1 times
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t88767.html

LT1 times
http://www.gmvsford.com/forums/showt...7f58410&t=1497

someone getting 13.7-13.8 1/4 out of a stock LT1 (unless you dont call it stock because he put a flowmaster muffler on it)

my roommate had a 97 t/a. it ran mid/high 13's with a hakcked up exaust and home made ram air ( dryer duct running from foglight hole to throttle body )

yet again youre proven wrong. this is getting old. what excuse this time ?

Greatest Of All Time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, it ain't stock. Find me a LT1 test where a F-body went 13.6 and I will say I was wrong.

Please do not quote 1/4 mile LS1 times to me. I have owned 2 of them. How many of you owned?

So where was I wrong again? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well since you want tests of a LT1 heres some times of some keep in mind this is what GM says they run

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_8.htm#ch4_8i

13.5 for a firehawk ? thats faster then 13.6 and its a LT1. what excuse this time ?

Greatest Of All Time
Old 12-19-2003, 10:38 AM

Trigger let me give you a piece of advice as a friend: Don't argue with Mr. GTO. You can't and won't win - ever, never, ever!!! Even if you have a valid point it will be null and void. Plain and simple he has read and memorized every article, press release, fact, figure, etc. about this car. Love it or hate it the guy knows this car inside and out. He loves it, lives it and breathes it and it means about as much to him as my family does to me!

That being said I'm a bit of a new GTO basher myself. I would have preferred an All American GTO, made here, built here, original design, real Poncho power. My opinion is that they had 30 years to do this but they did not. Nothing is gonna change that now. Either embrace the new car for what it is or let it go because thats the way it is.

I would like to see on on the road though so I can see it in person - I'd also like to drive one too - to see if it lives up to the hype. However, I seriously doubt that any self respecting dealer is going let me put the car through its paces just to satisfy my curiousity!

Anyway, thats my advice - Do what you like but you'll end up with carpal tunnel syndrome debating this topic. Of course, then again, I'm one to talk, I go head to head with Baker and the boys every day about other topics in the lobby!!! LOL

Peace to all. Merry Christmas. Enjoy!

"I'm not one to argue, BUT......."
Old 12-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah im still waiting for him to admit he was wrong about the LT1 running under 13.6. still waiting im not gonna hold my breath tho.

Greatest Of All Time
Old 12-20-2003, 01:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> just to clearify im bashing the 04 so far.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clearity, nobody really cares!
Old 12-20-2003, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah im still waiting for him to admit he was wrong about the LT1 running under 13.6. still waiting im not gonna hold my breath tho.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if you are referring to this,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>13.5 for a firehawk ? thats faster then 13.6 and its a LT1. what excuse this time ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe you should realize that the Firehawk is a specially modified car built by SLP Engineering.

Interestinly enough, at the link you provided, they posted the times for the Firehawk and the Trans Am right next to each other, and the Trans Am ran a 14.8...

From your own link that you used:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Q: How fast is my LS1 car?

A: Once again, each car will perform differently, however various magazines have tested the new cars, and came up with quarter mile times between 13.6 and 13.9 stock for 1/4 mile times, and top speeds between 160 for the Camaro to 162 for the Trans Am WS6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So from your own source, a 13.6 is the best time produced by a STOCK LS1.

The GTO posted a 13.62.

Thanks for providing the information to prove you wrong...

I'll be waiting for your apology...

My '64 GTO Convertible Webpage

The '49 Caddy Limo Page

The '72 Camaro Page
Old 12-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Robert Imhof Send a message via MSN to Robert Imhof

Anyone who thinks the new GTO will EVER be powered by a pontiac motor is living in a dream world. People should encourage the striving hobby of American (or somewhat American ) musclecars. What ever happened to manufacture loyalty? All I ever hear is mustang this or jap crap that . At first I didn't like the new GTO but I think it is growing on me. The only things unexcusable about this car to me is the rear end and lack of hood scoops. However I am sure that in a few years GM will put factory scoops on it and dont think for a second that SLP wont have an aftermarket hood for it or possibly even a "Judge" package much like the Trans Am had the firehawk package.

-------------------
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
http://community.webshots.com/user/rimhof456
Old 12-20-2003, 08:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trigger:
Facts are simple... this car is SLOW, does not have the features it should (usable trunk, easily accessible backseats, hoodscoops, etc) and it's butt-ugly. There's no arguement about any of that.

Let me sum it up: slow, impractical, ugly. It's not a GTO no matter how you state it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What car is faster, bigger trunk, easier back seat access (and more leg room), with hood scoops for around $35,000?

Phantom Black/Red
Old 12-21-2003, 01:18 PM

You're going to be waiting for a long time for that answer tails.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, what about that! Answer that one. Yeah. Good comback tails!!!!!!! Oh wait you guys aren't talking about some other car. Your talking about the Monaro er ah "GTO".....

&lt;a href="http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html" target="_blank"&gt;http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Da...html&lt;/a&gt;

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.