Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Starter Access

This might sound stupid but how do you access the starter on a modified 1963 Tempest with a 455? I have been under over and all around the engine and can't even see the starter. Is there something I'm missing? I bought the car already modified with a 455 and a TH 350. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's on the driver side, in behind the exhaust manifold. If you have headers and a full size starter there a bitch. If you to pull it I would recommend getting a mini starter.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM

I know where the starter is. It is full size and I do have headers. There just is no access that I can see. Do you go at it from the top or bottom? Do you need to pull the header? I really just don't know where to start. Don't want to pull more than I have to.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Without seeing it I have no idea. It comes out from the bottom. Sounds like you may have to pull the header. My car is a 4 speed with ram air manifolds and mini starter so easy to get at.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be able to see the starter on the drivers side just outside of the bellhousing.Take the battery cable off first.Back to the starter,there are 2 9/16 bolts going straight up into the block.Remove the bolts being carfull not to have it fall out,it has to be pushed forward and then the backside or nose of the starter can be tipped down to get it started out.If you have a smart phone although my car is a stick shift and a mini I can text you a pic of where it is as my car is on the lift right now.My cell is 5622430570.Tom

Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
Without seeing it I have no idea. It comes out from the bottom. Sounds like you may have to pull the header. My car is a 4 speed with ram air manifolds and mini starter so easy to get at.
Had a stock starter on my 421 with 68 GTO headers and you don;t have to remove headers. I am a traditional guy but do have a mini starter just for the extra cranking power now.