Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 95 Grand Am GT needs some attention

Hey guys. This is my daily driver that needs some work done pretty soon. It needs some front end work which I've pretty much figured out, but it also has a CEL. Pretty much everytime I drive the car it will come on after the car warms up. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, sometimes it'll take like 15 mins. I tried one time about a month ago to hook up the scanner at Checker Auto Parts, but all it said was that it couldn't communicate with the computer. I haven't tried anything since, but I'd like to dig into it some more as it's bothering me. Any advice?

Also out of curiosity, the stock oil pressure gauge seems to stick once in a while and jump back and forth. Also it used to read on the higher side of 40 psi, now it reads on the low side.... Any ideas on that or could it just be a bad sender?

-Steve

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably just a bad sender.

The cel could be anything, you really need the code before wasting any time or money. Autozone checks them for free also if there are any around?

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I went to AZ first. They told me the light had to be on in order to check the code and since it goes off when I shut the car off, I was SOL. I do not believe this because the code should store in the memory.....? Anyway, will maybe try another location or see if I can talk to somebody. Thanks though.

-Steve

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You are correct, the light doesn't have to be on to check for stored codes. If it stores a code, it will have shown the light at some point, then stored it until you leave the battery unhooked long enough. The fellow at the parts store might have told you that because they probably get a lot of people in there that reset the codes before they get them read, then expect the parts store guys to be able to recover them. Once you unhook the battery, they're gone. So if you are planning work on the car that requires the battery to be unhooked it is best to check for stored codes before unhooking the battery just in case, especially if it is a shared car.
Your '95 may have an OBD 1.5 system in it. I remember reading about that on a Bonneville site. It was a step up from the OBD 1, but not quite the same as OBD 2. I remember that they exist, but that is about it. I don't know much more than that about OBD 1.5 but that could be why the scanner at Checker didn't work.
You might want to check out Club GP.

Last edited by bastard; 07-09-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: added link