Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 12-03-2003, 12:21 AM

Here is my version of an anti-theft relay that I have installed in my 72 Grand Prix SJ. I got a leftover 3PDT relay which came from a ThermoKing reefer unit for a semi-trailer. I have it wired to do FOUR things. First it interupts the starter circuit (neutral safety switch circuit), second it shorts the points to ground and third, it interupts +12V volts to the coil. Lastly, if the relay is not triggered and the would be thief actually has the keys, every time he turns it to "start" the horn honks (quite disconcerting to the thief). Now the relay is not simply triggered by one hidden switch that someone could find or observe me operate. It is only triggered by the right combination of FOUR switches out of 13 installed. Now all 13 switches have other electrical functions so the amount of wiring involved is such that it would take hours of research to work around. As another anti-theft feature I have a rare key-lockable Hurst SS pistol grip shifter handle on my floor shifter so that even if the car is miraculously started, he cannot even get it out of "Park"

Old 05-16-2004, 09:29 PM

71lemansspt

You still have info on your anti-theft, private messaging is not working for me.

1968 GTO (AT 17 YEARS OLD)
1969 GTO JUDGE (AVATAR)
1969 GTO JUDGE (PARTS CAR)
1980 TRANS AM
1984 FIREBIRD
1968 FIREBIRD 428 (CHEVY, FORD, MOPAR EATER)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:03 AM

still have the info for those that want it .sorry dont want to detail it here as then it is public info. but could respond to private emails if neccessary.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:04 AM

sorry my email is matthewboulton@hotmail.com

Old 07-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I installed a kill switch were only I remember were it is. Off any time I park her. One simple wire & switch.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pictures of Battery Isolator

I was asked for a picture of what I use, and thought it would be useful to post in the original thread. I found this in a parts house, although you might find one in a marine supply store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	24197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	24198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	24199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	24200  

Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cheapest and most effective security device: remove the coil wire.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 08-13-2005, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there was at one time an advertised replacement soleniod for GM cars, with a remote control, that shut it off, but allows power to your radio, 8-track (hehe) or CB etc. With this installed, a automatic car couldnt even be hotwired, because they couldnt turn the engine over without changing the starter.
Its been a while since I saw it and have asked a few aftermarket about it,no luck. Of course the mini starters are not going to work with what I saw , but it was a hell of an idea, installed at home. I dont want to track my stolen car, I dont want it stolen.
I wonder if the link above, it has to be a monthly service, like everything else now, Grrr. hope it calls your cell phone too...

Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default safety cut off

A little thing that works well is to purchase a cheap pair of needle nose vise grips and those of you like me that have a carburated car with a mechanical fuel pump, clamp thye fuel pump inlet hose. If a theif does start your car, he's not going to get very far before the carb bowl empties out. Atleast then, the theif will leave to not draw attention to himself broke down.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Remove Coil Wire

Les: Unfortunately the removal of the Coil Wire isn't sufficient protection. I used to do this myself, until I realized that all the thief would have to do is remove one of the plug wires, put it in place of the Coil Wire, and drive home on 7 cylinders. However, the one variable of that scenario is the intelligence of the thief.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
PY Staff -Tech

Talking

I made a dummy coil wire to confuse smart thieves.

78 Olds Cutlass Drag car PONTIAC powered with 440 (destroked 455), th400, 12bolt with spool 4.10z
Best to date 10.00@130.92 mph at 3250#

79 Grand Prix, will be new home for the 440
Goal 9.75z@135mph at 2900#

83 Malibu Wagon UUV Crate 350, Custom T5, 8.5 with Auburn posi 3.73z
Making it the Ultimate Utility Vehicle
Go, tow and show (not so much show, yet)
Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Matt Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun
I made a dummy coil wire to confuse smart thieves.
That actually sounds like a pretty low-tech and inexpensive way to do it. No theif is going to take the time to trouble shoot why your engine won't start.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I parked my car at the airport for my vacation, i took the HEI coil and modual with me, in my suitcase,,,,

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce
there was at one time an advertised replacement soleniod for GM cars, with a remote control, that shut it off, but allows power to your radio, 8-track (hehe) or CB etc. With this installed, a automatic car couldnt even be hotwired, because they couldnt turn the engine over without changing the starter.
Its been a while since I saw it and have asked a few aftermarket about it,no luck. Of course the mini starters are not going to work with what I saw , but it was a hell of an idea, installed at home. I dont want to track my stolen car, I dont want it stolen.
I wonder if the link above, it has to be a monthly service, like everything else now, Grrr. hope it calls your cell phone too...
Here ya go, Watson's Street Works has several Battery Disconnects. http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That guy is lucky! I was at a basketball game with a buddy when his brand new IROC (1985) was stolen. It was a nice car for the time, black & gold w/ T-tops. I'll never forget coming into the parking garage and thinking, did we park here or over there? It took a few min to sink in that it was gone!

In my car, you first have to turn on the battery, then the MSD, then the ignition switch, then the fuel pump and modulate the throttle just right. It would be hard to steal under it's own power unless somebody noticed the procedure.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am planning to put a switch inline with my 12v coil wire and hide it under the dash. Easy and effective.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 08-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For now I just remove the ignitionn coil cable and for extended leaving i take the battery away with me. I guess if they figure out the coil wire and have a battery with them, along with picking the lock, it's theres. But i do want more security for her.

I'm thinking about rigging up a standard remote system (say what you'd get with a standard remote starter kit) to 'activate' my ignition's starting ability.
Here's how:
The way my bulldog remote starter on my other car works is when you hit start, it activates current through various wires (namely, the "Run" and "Accessory" lines), then a second later powers the "START" (power to starter) wire momentarily to start the car. After that, it continues to power the Run/Accessory lines for about (5,10, or 15 minutes, - programmable by user). That would be the amount of time (5,10, or 15) you want the car to stay on if you had remote started it.

What i'd do:
I would hook it up so that when I hit RemoteStart on my remote, it would close the power circuit to my Starter - Thus pressing the "remote start' button does nothing BUT let the car function as it normally would stock. However, without the remote start having been hit, the connection to the starter is cut by the divice. As mentioned earlier, you'd be able to program your "Window of ignition" to 5,10,or 15 minutes as to how long you want the ability to start the car to be there before it locks itself away again.

I guess a problem with this would be that nothing stops the thief from fixing the wiring himself so it works as it should but it would take effort and some tools and it would be time consuming, they'd probably move on.

I'd also have to check to make sure the divice can handle the current passed to the starter. Usually they are fused at 10 Amps, i'm not sure how much the starter's power line carries... judging from the guage wires going to it, it might be a lot more, meaning maybe the remote starting divices are incapable to handle that much current without burning out?

What scares me a lot too is that even if a thief couldn't get the car to start, he might be mad/mean enough to scratch it or bang a dent into it! I guess that would beat a stolen car for sure though.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

actually i just checked out the linke noted above "battery disconnects" and saw their remote disconnect so that you can use that 'extra channel' on your remote divice to engage/disengate your battery with their kit

That ought to work a lot like what I said with the exception that the remote will toggle the car's starting circuitry either on or off (no time stuff to think about) and since it activates/deactivates the connection solenoid or whatever is in their kit, all that worry about the current stuff doesn't apply anymore (p.s. 10 amps is not enough for a starter it seems..)