Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Carpet

Any good suggestions on carpet for 66 gto 4spd console have brand new carpet but it's for an automatic so looking at new carpet any recommendations ?Molded non molded ?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

If you already have a new carpet set then go ahead and see how the front half fits. ACC brand carpet (and the other maker, Trim Parts) is notorious for being way too large over the 4 speed tunnel hump area when it comes to '70-2 Abodies like Buick and Olds. In those cases the best fit for a 4 spd floor shift car is to order carpet for an automatic car. Even those are typically a bit too large but nothing like the carpet sets with the additional space for the manual floor shift humps.

Maybe it's the same situation for these earlier Abodies...don't know myself but it's worth checking the fit w/what you already have.

No need to cut/trim, etc the carpet...I'm just suggesting laying it out over the front floor and see how the fit looks in the tunnel/hump area (in case you were returning it or going to sell it)

Other than that there are really only two carpet "molders"/makers I know of for our cars...ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) and Trim Parts. They both source the flat rolled carpet from the same mill from what I understand so I doubt there's a lot of differences, if any.

64-72 GM A-Body Gas Tank Pads
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tion-item.html
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Shifter SLIT

Was going to try that but did not want to cut the slot for the shifter I guess either way if it didn't work out an auto floor shifter may be able to use it.So basically all of the carpet set come from two manufacturers ? was looking at the one from our host I do not have the old Capet to make a template so it's measure twice and cut once will see what happens thanks.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Senior Chief

That's the info I have....two "molders" of the carpet sets (maybe there are others now, who knows?).

If may be worth removing your shifter handle to test fit....that way if it looks like it won't work then the carpet set will still be useful for someone with a column shift car as well.

Make sure you have the front half pulled forward far enough. I know on the '68-72 Abody carpet sets when you set them in place you can be sort of "fooled" into thinking they are set down right when in fact if you that half forward you get better fitment down at the bottom corner of the front of the trans tunnel where the floorboards start transitioning upwards to the firewall. Obviously, one way to tell is to make sure there's not a gap along the front/top edge of the carpet and any firewall pad you have. On '68-72 cars the front/top edge gets tucked up UNDER the lower edge of the firewall pad (at least on the P side....there's a filler panel used under the steering column to help hide the top edge of the carpet on the D side.

64-72 GM A-Body Gas Tank Pads
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tion-item.html