Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 PM

Default 66 GTO dash pad question

Working on 1966 GTO dash pad. When I bought the car the pad was loose on the left side. Very loose as not secured at all. I have removed it. I see the clips that are near the windshield and the two on either side of the grab bar. What secures the dash on the left side? I see no studs like the right side. Do screws go threw the dash pad and instrument cluster vertically? Also changing the cluster lens and notice the lens is slightly loose now. I saw no gasket of any sort. What is used to secure the tightness of the lens?

Old 01-06-2024, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like someone just tossed everything loosely back together.

The Gauge Lens is held in place by the screws that secure the housing to the Bezel with no gasket.

You may find that the screw provisions are damaged. Hopefully, they are just loose.

The pad does use 3 screws to secure the facing portion of the pad to the Bezel.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DASH XX.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	626085   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 PAD x.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	626086  

Old 01-06-2024, 11:53 AM

You are exactly right. I bought the car from a dealer in Ohio and took his word. When will I ever learn. Car looks nice and appears to be a frame off but so many things are left un finished. Plus it was supposed to be a 400 and block casting says 65/66 389 with the 670 heads. Motor does sound healthy though. So I understand there are 3 screws that go vertically through dash pad in front of the gauge cluster? Do those 3 screws also secure the cluster? Lens screws are snug but new lens is still a little loose.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 3 pad screws only secure the overhang of the pad.
The gauge housing is secured to the bezel and should hold the gauge cluster securely against the back side of the bezel.

The lens should fit into the housing, And I can't recall any gasket needed/used.
Possibly incorrect screws were used and they are bottomed out? Just a guess.

The best way to be sure it's all installed properly would be to remove the Dash-Bezel assembly,
I don't think working from under the dash is best but not impossible.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:53 PM

Thanks Jeff. The screws are tight. Gauge cluster is out on bench. I'm a little too old to try to do this from under the dash. I'm just having a little trouble comprehending securing the pad. I do see 4 slight dimples in what I believe is a new pad. Never used though. There were 2 short screws that were securing gauge cluster to the car. I'm just not sure if the screws that go through the pad also secure the gauge cluster to the dashboard also. It wouldn't be so bad if I was the one that dis assembled the car first but I'm flying blind here. Also being new to this forum I'm having trouble figuring out how to find different sections such as parts wanted or parts for sale etc. Or the administrator to ask how to navigate.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to backpedal a bit here as I'm relying on memory and that's not always best anymore.

The upper 4 screws are used to secure the Pad and Bezel,
I kept thinking it was 3 for the bezel and 3 for the pad. That isn't the case.

The bottom of the Bezel has 4 screws as well.

I'm still not sure why your Cluster Lens would be loose.
Give it time I'm sure others will chime in and address what I'm overlooking.