Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Dash insert woodgarin

So it's time to assemble my dash need some opinions on the woodgrain overlays is there one better than the other out there a/c dash..Thanks

Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If memory serves there are a few choices, vinyl and real wood veneer. I have not personally done this but do know that you want either with the heavy backer. Peel and stick does not work well.
I'm sure others will chime in but search the web and don't forget our host!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

find one with metal back as that is the way it came from the factouy also it was glued in so there is not much choice on how to install it

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

I replaced the real wood veneer on the dash of my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix last year. Since my car used real wood, I replaced it with a veneer kit made for my car. The kit I used was pre-stained (you can buy unstained wood, but I didn't want to have to worry about staining the wood and messing it up). I did seal it though to protect the wood from moisture, heat, etc. which it would be exposed to inside the car. The wood veneer kit did not have adhesive on the back, so I used a good wood glue very sparingly and glued the various pieces to the metal backing I reused from the original wood veneer from the dash. The wood veneer kit was pretty good, but some pieces were too big and had to be cut down to fit the dash correctly. I used the original metal backing as a template, and then used a very sharp Exacto knife to carefully trim the wood veneer to fit. I then used super glue to glue the metal-backed wood veneer to the dash. It looks great!