Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 PM

Default Dougs or RARE

Hi All
I'm having a 600+ hp pump gas ported E head stroker motor built for my pro-touring stance 69 GTO. I've been reading the posts about header fit and issues. I have a 4 speed car. I'm really torn between going with header or losing some hp with manifolds. The car does sit pretty low. Would that eliminate the headers immediately? Am I ridiculous for considering manifolds based on my setup.

Thanks

Bryan

Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems to me 600+ hp would want headers.

Lots of guys run headers on some pretty low cars. I don't think my Doug's are any lower than the RAIII manifold/Torque Tech downpipe setup I had on it to start with. The down pipes make a 90 degree bend right after the connection with the manifold which drops the pipe fairly low.
That's my experience with D Port.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks for your input. I know it should really have headers but I was considering the manifolds to avoid the issues with headers in general , plus my car being low. I have time to think about it more. Thanks again

Old 12-12-2016, 02:27 PM

My 69 GTO has UMI suspension with Viking coil overs and dropped spindles. Saturday, we dropped in the 400 with Legend trans and I can tell you there's no way I would put headers on it. After everything was in place, I installed Ram Air manifolds and envision the downpipes will need to be tucked up as high as possible.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 PM

That's exactly what I am concerned with. I have an SC&C touring plus suspension with SPC tubular top and bottom a arms, tall ball joints, performance springs etc... Thanks for your input,

Old 01-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

FWIW my '69 Firebird is fairly low. It has hotchkis 2" drop springs front and 3" rear. I have old 3 tube style headers in place and I don't have a lot of ground clearance issues with them. The subframe is the lowest part of the car.

That may differ completely on a GTO however.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Administrator

With the 2" drop, you have to at least consider giving up some of that 600hp for clearance issues. I would estimate 20-30hp. However, you could polish the hell out of the RA manifolds and gain a little of it back.

btw, If you decide to go the RA manifold route, I hope you take a look at the Max RA manifolds that we made. Same performance and fitment as RARE but a decent savings.