Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 02-28-2017, 05:30 PM

I go to a shop, Auto Everything, Middletown Delaware.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with shops is that 99% of them don't have a mandrel bender. So you end up with a crush bent system. To some that doesn't matter much, but to others, the mandrel bends are what makes these exhaust kits so attractive.

I've never seen some of the tailpipes welded like the pictures you guys are posting. I'd be a little concerned with that.

When I buy 3" systems I use Torque Tech. Their 3" tail pipes come in one entire piece all mandrel bent from the muffler to the bumper. Even used one of their 4" systems and it fit excellent.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may not be mandrel bent but I have an exhaust guy here in town that can work miracles. Even got 3 inch pipe to fit an x frame impala with a four wheel disc conversion. As long as he's around I will never buy a bolt together system

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Senior Chief

Pypes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71qkCjPLIug

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

I studied the Pypes Youtube video for the SGF70 system that profiled board member njsteve's 1975 Firebird. Two things of importance:

1. The brake hose is located in a different spot on that 1975 versus my 1977.

2. The car used the long chrome straight out the back tips that do not require those little adapters.

3. The Pypes staff has installed several of their systems, and should have some intel on tricks to make it go better/faster.

I drove the car yesterday for the first time. It sounds great, and definitely picked up some performance over the garbage system that was on it.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be pissed at the guy who welded on the Honda Civic hanger rods instead of using correct hangers and clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8480r.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	448616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8490r.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	448617  

Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Those late model hangar rods are ultra cheesy..

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used factory hangers on my vehicle. I purchased them before I took it in to have the exhaust done. My only complaint with them is that they allow to much movement and the tail pipes rattle against the 1/4 and the leafs.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pypes produced tailpipe hangars I received with my kit were a big step down over the OEM hangars that were existing on my car. I have no issues with excessive movement, or the pipes contacting any part of the suspension after I made numerous modiifications to the system.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While I wait for the tech to email or call me back:
So what do you guys think would be a reasonable response from Pypes regarding the issues I had?

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While your case ranks as a "**** happens", I would expect them to offer replacement parts, or a partial monetary refund, since you spent much time and money to rectify their error.

In my case, I would love a response to my request to better engineer their tailpipes for splitter applications, and amend their instructions to warn some customers of brake hose and fuel line interference on some model years when using the SGF70 kit!

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NOT feeling very confident with Pypes support.
So far I've been told 'I'm not sure why you were having all those problems... That system fits...'
'I have a hard time believing 3 of the 4 pipes were bent wrong... We sell a ton of these systems whether it's a 2.5" or a 3" and all the specs are based the same. If these were all bent wrong, we would be having all kinds of issues. I bet the pipes were labeled wrong. I bet if you took the labels off and tried to figure it out, it would have worked.',
& 'I'll take a look at some in the warehouse & get back with you.'
I was also told that those parts are made as one piece & aren't welded. When I pointed out the pictures in the Pypes gallery showing a '68 camaro with a weld in the same location, I just got a response that that was odd.

So far, I haven't heard back from them.......

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually got on to make a thread about how bolt in people felt "direct fit" systems were. Saw this, I think you guys talked me into just going to a muffler shop. I was going to use the 3" Magnaflow system. I think Ill just buy mufflers and have a local shop put it in.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Magnaflow is a completely different company. I've installed 2 of their systems without a hiccup. Higher quality stainless and nice fitting. You also pay more for it. I wouldn't worry about a problem with a Magnaflow system.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Magnaflow is a completely different company. I've installed 2 of their systems without a hiccup. Higher quality stainless and nice fitting. You also pay more for it. I wouldn't worry about a problem with a Magnaflow system.
You know what's funny. Earlier today I saved an Amazon item. It's the 3" system that is supposedly a direct fit for first gen birds according to Magnaflow. I entered the PN into Google. Most had it around 830 bucks.

But Amazon of all places. Had it for $707 with free prim shipping. So I was going to link it here saying I thought it was a good deal. But when I went back they corrected their apparent mistake. It's now $830. Damn me for waffling.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well shucks, you're right, that would have been a good deal for a 3" magnaflow.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So after several emails, & a phone call or two, here's the short version of what I got back from Pypes after I requested to be reimbursed for just the shop fee ($200):

4/4/17
"As mentioned before in our previous conversations, those pipes had been modified by a shop and once that happens, the warranty is voided. We do not refund you a labor cost of a shop."

I responded back the same day requesting that the issue be forwarded to management. As of today, 4/13/17, I have not received a response.
-------------------------------------
Part of the reason I'm requesting reimbursement:
"Had the parts been manufactured correctly, it wouldn't have taken 3 hours to install at the shop. In fact, had they been correct, I would have been able to do the install myself at home, but I trusted the Pypes name and, believing the parts were correct, concluded that the problem was with me. "

===========================================
From my very first contact with Pypes I was given the impression that it wasn't their problem and there was no way that their product could possibly be defective.

Some of the comments I received:
"Why did you decide on 3"? Are you making more than 600 hp?"
"I'm not sure why you were having all those problems... That system fits..."
"I have a hard time believing 3 of the 4 pipes were bent wrong... We sell a ton of these systems whether it's a 2.5" or a 3" and all the specs are based the same. If these were all bent wrong, we would be having all kinds of issues. I bet the pipes were labeled wrong. I bet if you took the labels off and tried to figure it out, it would have worked. "
"I'm not sure if there is anything else we can do, being you have the system modified & installed already."
"On rare occasions we might have a pipe or two that is outta whack, but not 3 in one kit... "
So 1 or 2 mistakes are possible, but 3 is impossible???

Based on tech supports response, apparently the proper thing for me to have done, after taking a day off work, waiting several hours for an opening at the shop, and once the shop discovered that the pipes were welded together wrong, would have been to take the car off the lift, pay the shop for their time up to that point, contact Pypes, ship my defective parts back, then wait for new parts to be shipped to me.

I imagine that whoever welded my pipes just wan't paying attention that morning. Sh!t happens. I get it, but combine that with Pypes crappy customer support and they'll never get another dime from me. In fact, I was planning on ordering a system for another vehicle, but it wont be a Pypes system now and I've steered 3 friends doing builds away from them as well.

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 04-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
Based on tech supports response, apparently the proper thing for me to have done, after taking a day off work, waiting several hours for an opening at the shop, and once the shop discovered that the pipes were welded together wrong, would have been to take the car off the lift, pay the shop for their time up to that point, contact Pypes, ship my defective parts back, then wait for new parts to be shipped to me.
Unfortunately yes. I've heard of this happening with other manufactures as well. Parts didn't fit, so customer modifies it or pays someone to modify it, then wants reimbursement for labor or time spent. The answer to that as far as I know with any manufacture out there is "NO" If it's defective it has to be sent back in it's defective form so a refund or replacement can be given.

So I don't think it's necessarily a Pypes issue. Not sticking up for them but yeah that's how most business works to my understanding.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
So after several emails, & a phone call or two, here's the short version of what I got back from Pypes after I requested to be reimbursed for just the shop fee ($200):

4/4/17
"As mentioned before in our previous conversations, those pipes had been modified by a shop and once that happens, the warranty is voided. We do not refund you a labor cost of a shop."

I responded back the same day requesting that the issue be forwarded to management. As of today, 4/13/17, I have not received a response.
-------------------------------------
Part of the reason I'm requesting reimbursement:
"Had the parts been manufactured correctly, it wouldn't have taken 3 hours to install at the shop. In fact, had they been correct, I would have been able to do the install myself at home, but I trusted the Pypes name and, believing the parts were correct, concluded that the problem was with me. "

===========================================
From my very first contact with Pypes I was given the impression that it wasn't their problem and there was no way that their product could possibly be defective.

Some of the comments I received:
"Why did you decide on 3"? Are you making more than 600 hp?"
"I'm not sure why you were having all those problems... That system fits..."
"I have a hard time believing 3 of the 4 pipes were bent wrong... We sell a ton of these systems whether it's a 2.5" or a 3" and all the specs are based the same. If these were all bent wrong, we would be having all kinds of issues. I bet the pipes were labeled wrong. I bet if you took the labels off and tried to figure it out, it would have worked. "
"I'm not sure if there is anything else we can do, being you have the system modified & installed already."
"On rare occasions we might have a pipe or two that is outta whack, but not 3 in one kit... "
So 1 or 2 mistakes are possible, but 3 is impossible???

I imagine that whoever welded my pipes just wan't paying attention that morning. Sh!t happens. I get it, but combine that with Pypes crappy customer support and they'll never get another dime from me. In fact, I was planning on ordering a system for another vehicle, but it wont be a Pypes system now and I've steered 3 friends doing builds away from them as well.
This is what sucks about this. They want you to remove and send back the poor fitting parts for an exchange. This is a huge inconvenience, and causes large amounts of downtime.

There is no good way to make both parties happy in this case. If the parts fit in the first place, it would be a non issue.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a question. If you all are saying you buy an exhaust kit for $600-800.00. Then have to take the whole mess to an exhaust shop and spend $200-300.00 having the kit cut open, re-bent, and welded back together and installed to fit. Why not just buy a few of the tight bends, mandrel bent, and take them to a good muffler shop and have the rest done there? Seems like less hassle, less cost and less time?