Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
62Lemans

Default How I -almost- got a ticket

Back in 1959, I was home on leave from Navy ETA school at Christmas time. My father had just gotten a -Green and White- 58 Chieftain (with some Bunkey Knudsen gofast goodies) and I was playing around at our town center late on a Fri nite. A square with the Main streets running east and west.

There was some kid in a souped 56 with his girl friend and we'd come up to a light and Id race the engine and then let him zoom away. three or four times around the circle and finally I tired of the game. I was on the inside lane at the last light leading to the west bound main street. When the light changed I left 70 feet of rubber made a right turn across in front of this startled kid and made it west! I was boogying and there was no traffic!!!

Lights were with me at 4th, 5th and 6th, and as I passed the end of 7th (then a slight jog to the left across a bridge, then a jog to the right and 4 blocks with no cross streets) I cut off a police cruiser that was coming out of 7th onto Main. I was doing well over 80 and there wasnt much to be done at that point. As I disappeared over the bridge out of his sight, I heard the siren and could see reds in the mirror thru the girders. Ahead of me was a red light at 11th with a guy in an old beat up -black- 49 Ford waiting in the left lane. I came to a stop in the right lane figuring I might not make it back to ET school for several weeks/months

The guy in the Ford on seeing the flashing reds coming down Main behind him turned left and ran the light.

Now the tail lights on a 58 Pontiac dont look anything like a 49 Ford nor did green/white look like black, but the cops chased the Ford and left me sitting.

I slowly pulled away when the light turned green and casually drove on home. Mustve been about 20 blocks before I came unpuckered from the seat.

I found out later doing some timing tests that my dads 58 would turn 6.4sec to 60 and up to about 85 would outrun a friends 58 Bonneville. However the Bonne's 4bbl could breathe better and the 2bbl couldnt keepup anymore....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cruising in a 58 thats some good memories