Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

Steve Barcack, Thanks for all of your research on early Pontiac Engines. It now does seem that most early blocks can run later heads and visa versa. Axle

Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Hydros run best with straight NAPA Dextron trans fluid without any additives....

Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would there be any differance if the 55 hydro flywheel bolted up to a 66 389 crank instead of a 60 389? I know the opening needed to be champered some to fit over the crank. I'm thinking of putting my 66 389 rotating assembly into a 60 block to be able to use the 55 dual range hydro . Since there are no adapters that are available , kinda backwards I guess from what most do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Jack,

OK, I will check a '55 flywheel on my '60 engine.

59safari- I have about 450 Pontiacs right now 1955-1981, I should have an extra '59 flywheel. email me direct steve@pontiacheaven.org

I will be tearing down the 287 to study it for a couple of possible uses.

Thanks guys for adding to this thread
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

"Real Pontiacs only......no corporate nonsense!"

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Would there be any differance if the 55 hydro flywheel bolted up to a 66 389 crank instead of a 60 389? I know the opening needed to be champered some to fit over the crank. I'm thinking of putting my 66 389 rotating assembly into a 60 block to be able to use the 55 dual range hydro . Since there are no adapters that are available , kinda backwards I guess from what most do.
I am not sure Bill but, i think so. Perhaps someone else here would now better?

Also, my understanding is Wilcap does indeed make an adaptor if interested. I also heard Butler has something available too.
Let us know what happens.
Steve

Hosting-
Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wilcap makes an adapter for a newer trans to early block, not the other way around, I believe the Butler adapter is merely a starter mount for 61-63 blocks to use with a later trans that would have had a block mounted starter..

Theres no need to replace a good working hydro, I'm just looking at my options. I may be in the market for another 55 or 56 more solid than mine.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve thanks for starting this thread as I'm considering trying to buy a 60 Catalina with the original 389 2 brl auto. What I'm planning if I do get it is to try to build a period correct (or as close as I can) Stock Eliminator as it would have been run in 1960 set up as a SD (or 425 Trophy whichever is correct). I know this is going to be a difficult project as some of the hard items like correct exhaust manifolds, tri-power, eight lug assemblies and getting someone that knows something about the hydro transmission. I'm hoping ot go back and look at the car sometime in the next couple of weeks and try to work out a deal on it, and if I can deal for it I will be looking for all the information I can get on it as this will be a lot different than my 71 GTO or my 85 Grand Prix, and more of a challenge, and one I look forward to. Steve thanks again for starting such a great thread.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
Steve thanks for starting this thread as I'm considering trying to buy a 60 Catalina with the original 389 2 brl auto. What I'm planning if I do get it is to try to build a period correct (or as close as I can) Stock Eliminator as it would have been run in 1960 set up as a SD (or 425 Trophy whichever is correct). I know this is going to be a difficult project as some of the hard items like correct exhaust manifolds, tri-power, eight lug assemblies and getting someone that knows something about the hydro transmission. I'm hoping ot go back and look at the car sometime in the next couple of weeks and try to work out a deal on it, and if I can deal for it I will be looking for all the information I can get on it as this will be a lot different than my 71 GTO or my 85 Grand Prix, and more of a challenge, and one I look forward to. Steve thanks again for starting such a great thread.
Sure. That is what it is all about, sharing knowledge and enjoying our Pontiac passion all the more.

Steve

Hosting-
Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Bill E- I have not ever done that, but I don't know of any reason why you couldn't bolt the Dual-Range flywheel to a '66 crank, once you eliminate the interference between the flywheel and the O.D. of the crank flange.