67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What size drag radial can safely be run on a first gen?

My car has new 5 leafs at stock height. It has an X body 8.5 so its slightly narrowed. I currently run a 245/60R15 and they fit about perfectly with the Nova rear. They stuck out a bit on the factory 8.2

Im looking to buy a set of drag radials, but most are offered starting at 275/60 in 15 inch rims. That is an inch and a half bigger in width. Will that fit? MT does offer a 255/60 which would fit fine, but I like the BGF and Nitto models a little better than are reported to have longer lives.

The other issue with the 275 is I wanted to just grab another 15x7 Rally II (I already have a spare) and put the drag tires on those. I think the 275 would require an 8 inch wheel.

Im also open to a different size rim if that makes it easier. If I bought some 16s at a swap meet are my options better? 14" wheels are probably a no go with my aftermarket rear discs.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports